< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Greg Brunton
Jun 11, 2015
Sep 1, 2015
Western International School
Of Shanghai, Shanghai, China
effective August 2016
APPLICATION DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 01, 2015
The School and the Position
In 2016, the current Director of the Western International School of Shanghai (WISS) is stepping down after eight successful years driving enrolment growth and programme development.
WISS was founded in 2006 as the first 3 programme IB international school in Shanghai. 2016 will be its tenth year of operation, WISS has grown steadily in terms of physical campus, student body, and reputation. It is widely regarded as a caring, diverse, and inspirational learning community. WISS is a true international school, delivering International Baccalaureate academic programmes to 800 students aged 3 to 18 from 48 countries, with 27 nationalities of teacher, and with partner schools and universities around the world. WISS also hosts a range of unique international sporting and arts academies.
"WISS cultivates healthy, balanced, confident and ethical people; striving to challenge and stimulate students to inquire, wonder, discover, and create each day. We aim to send into the world brave, compassionate, internationally minded global citizens with the skill and intellect to help shape the future.
- Child Focused (nurturing and inspiring our young people to achieve)
- Compassionate Spirit (caring community)
- Balanced Curriculum (well-rounded – academic, sports, arts, music and Chinese)
- Diversity Driven (open-minded, individualistic and tolerant)
- Future Orientated (progressive and pioneering for the future)
Housed on its own 16 acre site, WISS has a spacious, modern campus in suburban Shanghai, with 10 major buildings complete with elevators and wheelchair access. With 100 fully equipped classrooms, four sports pitches, three theatres, two gyms, two swimming pools, and specialist wings for Music, Visual Arts, and Design, students can be assured of a truly inspirational learning environment.
The Director is the head of academic and business operations at WISS, answering to the School Board. The Director and the division principals make up the leadership team. 22 senior staff members report to the Director as part of a distributive structure of responsibility and a staff Social Committee works with the Director to help solve staff issues and promote morale. WISS has 130 faculty, 35 administrative staff, as well nurses, technicians, and maintenance staff. Security, cleaning, and catering staff are outsourced, all answerable to the Director.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate must have:
- At least five years’ experience as an IB school leader, running all one or more the PYP, MYP, and Diploma prgrammes.
- An advanced degree (MEd, PhD etc.) in educational management or related field.
- A clear vision for school development and a proven track record of achieving goals.
- A record of efficient budget and facility management.
- Experience growing school enrolment.
- Effective communication skills and possess a history of good School Board relations.
- A truly international perspective, experience liaising with schools and universities around the world, ideas for expanding existing partnerships, and be willing to travel to represent WISS abroad.
- A thorough understanding of quality in education and how to improve academic standards.
There is a competitive salary and benefit package.
How to Apply
WISS has asked Search Associates to help fill the position of Director. Please send applications immediately to Senior Associate Gez Hayden using email@example.com
Please send applications as a PDF attachment, no larger than 3 megabytes including any photo, exactly as follows
- Letter of application (1 page)
- Statement of educational philosophy (1 page)
- Résumé (2 pages)
- List of email, physical and phone contacts of 4 confidential referees
- In the event of finding an outstanding candidate, the WISS Board reserves the right to proceed to appointment before the stated deadline for applications.