< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Inna Klein
Aug 22, 19
Sep 22, 19
Dear Search Colleagues,
On behalf of the Mr. Deron Marvin, HoS at Xiamen International School, Xiamen, China, and the Search Committee, we are pleased to announce the appointment of Ms. Inna Klein as the XIS Elementary School Principal beginning in August 2020. The appointment has now been shared with the XIS faculty, staff, and parent community.
Inna is currently in her 4th year as the Elementary Principal at the American School of Asuncion, Paraguay. Inna’s previous experience includes serving as an Elementary Principal and Assistant Principal at Orchard View Public Schools, in Muskegon, MI and as a Spanish and ESL Instructor.
Kevin, Inna’s husband, is also a high school mathematics teacher. They have a son, Evan, who will be in Grade 9 next year and a daughter, Micaela, who is attending university in Spain.
Fluent in English, Russian, and Spanish, Inna has a Bachelor’s of Science degree with a major in Spanish and a minor in elementary education, and a Master’s in Educational Leadership degree from Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI.
Search Associates would like to thank all of the candidates who applied for this highly sought position and to everyone who assisted and supported the successful search process for Xiamen International School.
XIAMEN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
Pre-K to Grade 5
EFFECTIVE AUGUST, 2020
Xiamen International School's operational mission is to inspire and develop confident, knowledgeable students who enjoy life-long learning, demonstrate global awareness and contribute compassionately to the world around them.
Families with children attending XIS come from the international community living in Xiamen as well as those families coming from the Chinese regions of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. Approximately 48% of school families are either Taiwanese or Korean. Of the remaining 52%, about 28% of the student body represents other Asian countries and the other 20% are from regions outside of Asia. Most parents are either employed by large, multi-national corporations, or are involved in other commercial ventures. The school enjoys positive parent support.
CAMPUS AND FACILITIES
The school’s campus is located in a growing residential area outside the central city of Xiamen. It is a purpose-built structure that includes ample classrooms, a soccer pitch, indoor gymnasium, outdoor basketball courts, well-appointed library, outdoor playing fields, maker space, design and computer labs, three science labs, cafeteria, indoor swimming pool, two art studios.
Total enrollment at Xiamen International is over 570 students of which 390 are enrolled in the elementary school. The school is growing at an annual rate of approximately 5-8%. XIS's graduates attend reputable universities worldwide. Maximum class-size caps are 24 students at the secondary and 26 students at the elementary level. The average class size in the elementary school is 18 students.
Xiamen International School is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School administering the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), and the Diploma Programme (DP). The early childhood division (PreK to Grade 1) is play-based but balancing with building knowledge and skills.
FACULTY AND ADMINISTRATION
Xiamen International School includes 75 faculty members including four (4) administrators (Headmaster, Deputy Headmaster, and Secondary and Elementary School Principals). The faculty is predominately from the United States, but also includes faculty from China, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other countries. All staff members hold at least a Bachelor's or Master's degree. The school also has office staff, teacher assistants, bus drivers, security guards, custodians, and electricians.
The Board of Directors is self-perpetuating and consists of seven (7) members. Five (5) are appointed and up to two (2) are parents of currently enrolled students who serve for two-year terms of office. The Board meets four times a year. The principals report at the first and last Board meeting. The Headmaster normally attends each meeting.
The school year consists of 191 teacher contract days of which there are at least 180 instructional days. School begins for students the second week in August and ends the second week in June. There are two-week vacations for Christmas, and Chinese New Year and one-week vacations in the Fall and Spring.
The Elementary School Principal is the chief administrator and instructional leader of that division (i.e., Pre-K to Grade 5). The person in this position develops and implements policies, programs, curriculum and instruction, and activities that promote the educational development of each student and the professional development of each staff member.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES
The Elementary School Principal . . .
- Believes in, acts according to, and effectively demonstrates a clearly defined philosophy of learning based on the premise that all children can learn.
- Communicates high expectations of self, faculty, and students and effectively inspires and empowers all to reach them.
- Uses his/her extensive knowledge of curriculum and his/her personal repertoire of effective instructional practices to guide the faculty in curriculum development and improvement of instruction.
- In consultation with the Headmaster, defines the responsibilities of faculty and staff, allocates resources, schedules classes, special activities, and events, and institutes program improvements in accordance with XIS's mission, core expectations, and annual goals.
- Monitors student performance and facilitates planned instructional change based on student achievement data within a cycle of continuous improvement.
- Monitors and evaluates teacher performance and initiates effective professional growth processes through differentiated supervision.
- Communicates with colleagues, students, and parents effectively.
- Actively ensures that classroom teachers, specialists, and counselors work in concert to monitor and meet all students' academic and social needs.
- Encourages implementation of innovative teaching practices consistent with XIS's instructional philosophy and curriculum.
- Continuously develops him/herself as a principal through thoughtfully planned formal professional development activities, readings and study, and networking with colleagues and peers.
- Personally models qualities that create positive school climate; integrity, enthusiasm, respect, openness, and humor.
REQUIREMENTS (in order to acquire and maintain a work visa)
- A graduate degree in education or related field
- With a mandatory retirement in China of 60, candidates should be 55 years or younger by the beginning of the 2020 - 2021 academic year.
- Ability to obtain and produce school, birth, marriage records, and clear police records from past postings
- A proven record of outstanding educational leadership in a senior level position
- Knowledge or understanding of the IB PYP and the Diploma program
- Proven record of working harmoniously with a board, administration, faculty, staff, parents, students and the community
- Superb writing and speaking acumen
- International experience
- Excellent academic record
- At least five years as a teacher in a North American independent school or international school plus 3-5 years in a leadership role
- Strong work ethic and the ability to successfully balance a complex institution while providing leadership for a host of academic, artistic, athletic, and service learning programs
- Principal's certification
- Knowledge of Mandarin and/or experience working in China (or Asia)
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES / CHARACTERISTICS
- A good listener with a collaborative administrative style
- Honesty, integrity, compassion, and a good sense of humor
- Ability to generate trust with all constituent groups
- Strong organizational and proven problem-solving skills
- Ability to balance the diverse perspectives of different stakeholders
- Cultural openness, sensitivity, and understanding
The Elementary School Principal is the chief administrator and instructional leader of that division (i.e., grades PreK-G5). The person in this position develops and implements policies, programs, curriculum and instruction, and activities that promote the educational development of each student and the professional development of each staff member.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary will be competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The Elementary School Principal's package includes:
- Competitive remuneration package
- Housing allowance
- Retirement benefits
- Health insurance
- Shipping allowance
- Travel allowance
- Tuition for dependent children
- Professional development opportunities
PROCEDURE FOR FILING AN APPLICATION
XIS has appointed Dr. Brent Mutsch and Dr. Norma Hudson of Search Associates to act as consultants in the search for a new Elementary School Principal. The deadline for application is September 22, 2019. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials as early as possible. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Finalist candidate(s) will be interviewed first either by phone, Skype or personal interview and then will be flown to Xiamen and will have the opportunity to meet with the board, administration faculty, parents, students, and non-teaching staff. The new Elementary School Principal will be appointed shortly after interviews of finalist candidate(s) have been completed.
Notice – Should an outstanding candidate be identified prior to the closing date, the Headmaster and the Search Committee, reserve the right to hire immediately and give notice to the other candidates.
Candidates who wish to apply should submit the information requested below in the form and manner requested.
Please note that all materials must be scanned into a single pdf attachment of 4MB or less and sent to Search Associates at the email address listed below. Please send the complete application to both: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the XIS Elementary School Principal position
- A current CV not to exceed two pages
- A one or two-page statement responding to the “Required Qualifications” listed above
- A one-page list of at least three direct supervisor references with current phone numbers and email addresses
- A maximum of four letters of reference (scanned at low resolution) which may already be in your possession