< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Application deadline passed
Feb 12, 16
Feb 29, 16
The International School of Kuala Lumpur seeks a suitably qualified individual for the following position:
Position: Facilities Director
Division: Facilities Management
Reporting to and Evaluated by: Assistant Head of School (Operations)
Member of School’s Senior Administrative Management Team
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience within a range up to the equivalent of an Assistant Principal with Overseas Hire Package if applicable (including Housing Allowance, Shipping Allowance and Annual Home Leave after initial two year contract). ISKL offers a generous salary and benefits package including a 10% tax allowance and a retirement benefit contribution of 17% of base salary. Salary and all benefits except the retirement contribution are subject to Malaysian income tax. The highest marginal rate of tax is 28%. Further details will be made available upon submission of application. The current range of gross salary before tax for the position (including 10% tax allowance, but excluding the retirement contribution) is between US$60,000 and US$80,000.
Summary of the Position
The Facilities Director is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the ISKL properties, currently comprising the two existing campuses at Melawati and Ampang, which accommodate 650 and 1,000 students respectively. This includes performing the role of a multi-disciplinary supervisor of approximately 12 operations staff for repairs and maintenance and school function set-ups and various external contractors (approximately 50+ contracted staff) in the performance of a variety of services including cleaning, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, fire safety and air conditioning systems, grounds and landscape maintenance, recycling, and rubbish removal. The Facilities Director works closely with the Director of Risk Management to ensure the security of the campuses.
The Facilities Director is responsible for ensuring that all the school’s facilities are operating at a high level of efficiency and effectiveness. This requires establishing and leading a team of qualified staff members and outsourced professionals with the appropriate written responsibilities and a system of accountability. It includes identifying opportunities to reduce costs, while at the same time maintaining the operational stability of existing systems; developing and recommending policies, procedures and standards to further these objectives; and working as a member of a team to ensure the timely resolution of school facilities requirements in accordance with applicable regulations, ordinances, school policies and procedures.
The facilities include all learning spaces, including the science labs, swimming pools, gymnasia and outdoor sports courts /fields, art rooms and performing arts center spaces, in addition to all administrative facilities. ISKL currently rents additional space from certain local organizations and these contract negotiations also fall within the scope of the Facilities Director’s brief. ISKL operates outside of normal school hours and its facilities are used in the evenings and weekends for a variety of student related activities. ISKL also hosts a number of professional development conferences and other symposia. The Facilities Director will build a team which can meet the high standards required to fulfil these additional responsibilities.
In addition to operating the two existing campuses, the Facilities Director is responsible for “building a bridge” to the new campus which is projected to open in August 2019 with a capacity for 2,500 students. “Building this bridge” requires significant communication with ISKL’s Project Manager, Administrative Council / Project Steering Group and Board Project Oversight Committee. Various new initiatives are being tested to ensure that the building design, space requirements and furniture fixtures and equipment enhance student learning. The Facilities Director will be responsible for ensuring that all recommendations for the new campus are reviewed critically and recommended for approval to the appropriate ISKL decision making bodies. The Facilities Director will also work with other senior administrators and managers in all school divisions and operating departments to ensure that systems are in place to maximize the efficiency of all facilities in the new campus. In order to ensure that these systems are fully functional at the opening of the new campus, it is imperative that the new systems undergo extensive testing prior to this date on the existing campuses. Training of operational staff and users of the new systems will also be the responsibility of the Facilities Director.
- Manages directly the Facilities Department and external contractors; prioritizes, schedules and assigns/reallocates work and resources; approves or holds work requests pending further verification; provides technical advice, guidance and resolves escalated problems; monitors quality, quantity and adherence to established schedules and service level standards; develops cleaning, campus security and preventative/ predictive maintenance procedures and service level standards by gathering statistics, compiling monthly reports, recommending adjustments, obtaining agreement and implementing plans; updates manuals to reflect current or amended regulations, ordinances, policies and procedures, ensures their distribution (to staff) and maintains master copies
- In collaboration with Assistant Head of School (Operations) and New Campus Project Manager, liaises with architects and engineers regarding new construction/renovations (including clarification on materials, use and installation) and liaises with site contractors regarding modifications/alterations/options; conducts cost-benefit analyses; provides recommendations to enhance operational efficiency and reduce construction and/or maintenance costs; estimates future maintenance and labor costs
- Identifies significant site problems requiring resolution; co-ordinates and monitors work of sub-contractors; confirms adherence to specifications and schedule; initiates appropriate inspections; performs interim and final inspections.
- Coordinates and supervises the staging, seating and A/V setup for graduation ceremonies, International Fest, Annual General meetings and other meetings of members and PTA, and other school events
- Compiles annual budget for approval; liaises regarding business directions and projects; analyses and determines any required changes; forecasts annual project requirements; estimates infrastructure materials including installation and maintenance costs; sources products/price/suitability and availability according to ISKL’s procurement policies; verifies receipt of goods and adherence to terms; approves all purchases and invoices within approved spending authority; monitors expenditures, identifies potential budget variances, revises and adjusts forecasts and prepares reports; provides information to assist in resource utilization and management decision making
- Prepares specifications, sources contractors/products/price/suitability and availability; obtains quotes, writes Requests For Proposals and evaluates; selects and recommends major contracts and manages operations and all minor capital and maintenance/repairs budgets; monitors delivery and facilitates the resolution of vendor service level problems; recommends modifications to contracts as required to reflect revised specifications; obtains contractor records; prepares maintenance/repair/cost histories; analyses statistics and cost/benefits; identifies and recommends potential areas of savings; negotiates and recommends annual renewals, new terms or re-tendering
- Conducts regular meetings; identifies the need for additional resources and coordinates staff professional development; approves overtime and leave; develops selection criteria and participates in the staffing process; works with employees to establish annual goals and objectives; appraises staff and co-ordinates staff benefits
- Responds to and resolves off-hours and/or emergency requirements; performs minor repairs as required
- Performs a variety of administrative functions including maintaining various labour logs; monitoring general materials and equipment inventories and identifying and recommending new or replacement equipment
- Performs other comparable duties as assigned which are within the area of knowledge and skills required by the job description
- Degree in relevant technical area
- Relevant experience in a similar environment - international school experience is desired
- Organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate constructively
- Sound and timely decision making skills
- Conscientious, hard working and a good sense of humor
- Visionary and inspirational leader
Application Process and Timeline
- Applications must be made in writing to ISKL’s Director of Human Resources before 29th February 2016, please email to email@example.com attention Shanthi Nathan.
- Applications should include a detailed curriculum vitae, copies of certificates of qualification and three professional letters of reference
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview in Kuala Lumpur in late March 2016 or early April 2016.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.