< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Qatar Academy , STEM School (Qatar)
Appointed - Application deadline passed
Nov 30, 15
Jan 15, 16
Science, Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management
For the 2016-2017 School Year
Qatar Foundation Schools is seeking an exceptional educational leader to serve as the founding Director of the Qatar Academy STEM School.
Effective Date: August 1, 2016
The incoming Director would have the 2016-2017 school year to plan and develop the concept for the school with an expected opening date for the first cohort group of September 2017.
The Director will be responsible for all aspects of the school’s operation and will be responsible for the establishment refinement, revision and implementation of the school’s strategic vision. A detailed description of the position including qualifications, attributes and responsibilities is included at the end of this document.
Through STEM education, students apply the principles of mathematics and science learned through hands-on and minds-on activities to the real world around them. STEM education fosters fun with a purpose, reasoning skills, curiosity, perseverance, and inquisitiveness.
The vision for this school would be to identify the best young minds Qatar, provide them with rich, authentic, and challenging learning opportunities to create the problem solvers of the future.
The school is located within Qatar Foundation (QF), which was founded in 1995 by decree of His Highness The Father Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani. The current Emir is his son, His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. Qatar Foundation is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. Its aim is to "support Qatar on its journey from a carbon economy to a knowledge economy by unlocking human potential".
Qatar Foundation carries out this mission through three "pillars": education, science & research, and community development. QF’s work in the education field has brought a number of international universities to Qatar to help develop an education sector in which young people can develop the attitudes and skills required for a knowledge economy. Its main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. Its community development programs aim to help foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's heritage and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
The school would be open to students of all nationalities, be coeducational and, at full maturity would have an enrollment of approximately 240 students.
Projected School Growth
||1st Cohort Group
||2nd Cohort Group
||Grade 11 + 12
||3rd Cohort Group
||Grade 10 + 11 + 12
||4th Cohort Group
||Grade 9 + 10 + 11 + 12
||5th Cohort Group
||6th Cohort Group
The following are key attributes we are seeking:
||A Community Builder
The Incoming Director will:
- Provide exemplary educational leadership
- Lead in the recruitment and retention of outstanding staff
- Assign, organize and evaluate staff
- Promote a strong culture of professional growth through dynamic support, supervision and evaluation of teachers and instructional support staff
- Promote a collaborative and cohesive learning culture
- Ensure that all decisions and processes are designed to improve student learning
- Ensure that the school meets all accreditation and authorization requirements
- Ensure that the school is aligned with all IB requirements
- Provide clear protocols and processes to ensure regular, quality communication between home and school
- Work with the teachers on curriculum development and professional development planning
- Oversee a programs which support exemplary student behavior
- Oversee the school admissions process
- Manage the school’s operational budgets
- Work with parents in a dynamic, thoughtful and proactive way
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director of Schools
- A proven track record of leading exemplary STEM schools
- Educational background or experience with The Twist – Entrepreneurship and Management
- Teaching and administrative certification
- 15 years of teaching experience
- 5 years of school administration experience
- Master’s degree or Doctoral degree preferably in Education or Science
- Knowledge of international accreditation standards and IB authorization
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational abilities
- Conceptual thinking and strategic planning skills
- Ability to analyse and problem solve
- Ability to motivate, inspire employees and act as a positive role model
Salary and Benefits
Salary is highly competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing, health, life and long-term disability insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, gratuity and tuition benefits for Pre K – Grade 12 school-age dependents.
The deadline for application is January 15, 2016. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that Qatar Foundation Schools reserves the right to make an appointment at any time, even before the deadline mentioned if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should send the information requested below to:
Mr. Peter Corcoran
Qatar Foundation Schools
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter of application
- Resume, generally not more than two pages
- Recent Photograph
- Educational philosophy statement
- A list of five references
Successful appointment will be subject to satisfactory references and verification of qualifications. The Office of Pre-University is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening including checks with previous employers and national/international disclosure services.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.