< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Founding Head of School
Malvern College Hong Kong (China/Hong Kong)
Appointed - Position has been filled
May 16, 2016
Jun 3, 2016
Application Pack for the post of
Appointment for September 2017 (School opening in 2018)
380 students (rising to 960) – 5 to 18 years – Co-educational day school
MALVERN COLLEGE HONG KONG
Malvern College was founded in 1865 in the United Kingdom. Together with its associated primary school, The Downs Malvern, Malvern College UK educates boys and girls aged 3 to 18 years. Malvern College has been a forerunner in education, being among the first UK schools to adopt the International Baccalaureate and the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme. Its strong heritage is underpinned by its pioneering introduction of innovative education practices such as the Nuffield Science teaching approach and the International Baccalaureate. Thanks to its academic rigour and pursuit of holistic education, Malvern has produced renowned alumni, including Prime Ministers, Nobel Laureates, writers, and leaders in the fields of broadcasting, business, the arts, and sport. This academic rigour continues to be a determining factor in producing consistently excellent academic results, with many students admitted to top universities around the world.
Malvern College Hong Kong will seek International Baccalaureate authorization to deliver a full IB curriculum, including the PYP, the MYP and the DP, targeting students from a range of cultural and educational backgrounds. The Malvern College Hong Kong curriculum will benefit from drawing on the educational heritage of Malvern College with its 25-year track record of IB curriculum delivery. In Hong Kong we will add particular rigour in Mathematics and the Sciences, and we will offer a robust Chinese programme in collaboration with Beijing Normal University. Sharing the ethos of our mother school, we will create a nurturing learning environment and will place equal emphasis on stretching students’ potential and building character, so that our students emerge as independent, responsible and collaborative individuals who are passionate about engaging with the world around them. Malvern College Hong Kong will seek to embed key features of a British boarding school ethos into the day school setting.
Located in Tai Po, New Territories, adjacent to the Hong Kong Science Park and beautiful Tolo Harbour, the school will open its doors in September 2018 with around 380 students and will ultimately provide 960 places for both primary and secondary students.
Co-Founder and Chief Executive
Malvern College Hong Kong
Malvern College is one of the UK’s leading independent schools, famous for combining the best values of traditional English public schools with education innovation. For further information, please visit: www.malverncollege.org.uk.
MALVERN COLLEGE HONG KONG
In addition to the information in the above letter, you can find further information about Malvern College Hong Kong at www.malverncollege.org.hk.
MALVERN COLLEGE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS
The Malvern College Family of Schools also includes schools located in China (Chengdu and Qingdao), and Egypt. Malvern College Qingdao opened in 2012, Malvern College Chengdu in 2015 and Malvern College Egypt will be opening in August 2016. For further information, please visit http://www.malverncollege.org.uk/International-Schools.
IS THIS JOB FOR YOU?
Any school depends for its success upon the personal qualities of its staff and their enthusiasm and commitment.
Essential requirements – you must:
- Have the strategic leadership skills, ambition, passion and vision required to take on the challenge of starting a new school and ensuring the success of Malvern College Hong Kong
- Have the qualifications, stature, experience and interpersonal skills that will command the respect of students, parents, colleagues, and the wider population
- Have a proven track record of success in school management at a senior level
- Be an experienced teacher and leader and have an entrepreneurial flair
- Have a leadership style based on appreciating, supporting and nurturing the talents of those around you
- Be sensitive to the cultural differences you will find in the culturally diverse community of students and parents, and be willing to develop and maintain a cross cultural approach to work
- Be adaptable to any situation
- Be flexible, resilient, and able to work well under pressure and manage your time effectively
- Be enthusiastic, possess a good sense of humour, and have an open-minded approach to ways of working
- Have an understanding and sympathy with the aims and ethos of British boarding schools and Malvern College in particular, and a commitment to bringing key features of a boarding school ethos to a day school setting
- Hold a higher degree and/or management qualification
- Have experience in teaching children for whom English is an additional language
- Have experience of teaching outside the UK
Your job will be:
- To work closely with the Malvern College Hong Kong Management Board and development team, and with the Malvern College International Schools development team, to develop Malvern College Hong Kong from start-up into an established school with an outstanding local and national reputation
- To work closely with the Management Board and Development Team to ensure that the school vision and strategic plan are effective and pertinent to the school's goals, and that these goals are clearly articulated, shared, understood and acted upon effectively by all stakeholders
- To manage effectively all aspects and change processes for a successful school
- To work with the school community to translate the vision into agreed objectives and operational plans which will promote and sustain continual school improvement and a sense of team ownership
- To attract, retain and develop educational and managerial talent
- To oversee the academic life of the College, ensuring the curriculum is appropriate, planned, delivered and regularly evaluated for quality and effectiveness and supported by necessary accreditations
- To pursue and encourage outstanding academic performance by all students
- To ensure creativity, innovation and the use of appropriate new technologies and initiatives to achieve excellence
- To develop and implement innovative approaches to teaching and learning to meet the needs of all students
- To oversee the pastoral life of the College, ensuring that students and staff are cared for, supported and nurtured
- To ensure the co-curricular life of the College supports the holistic development of all students
- To implement appropriate prevention, preparedness, and health and safety practices to ensure that the College’s environment and facilities are safe, secure, and fit-for-purpose
- To work closely with the Malvern College Hong Kong management team, with Malvern College UK and with other Malvern College schools around the world to promote the values and ethos of Malvern College
- To build and maintain effective partnerships between the school, students and parents to support learning
- To embed all necessary policies, systems and procedures to ensure the smooth running of the school and the fulfilment of is aims
- To work with all stakeholders in developing and maintaining excellent external relations with the communities of Hong Kong, and the wider community of Greater China and the Far East
For an initial informal discussion about this opportunity, please contact:
Miss Nicola Dudley (Director of Education, Malvern College International Schools) on +44 1684 581604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit the Malvern College Hong Kong website:
Closing date: Friday 3 June
Initial interviews: Week beginning 13 June
Final interviews: To be confirmed
Applications, consisting of a covering letter, completed application form and CV, should be sent by email to the Director of Education of Malvern College International Schools, Miss Nicola Dudley, at email@example.com.
Malvern College Hong Kong is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening and appropriate pre-employment checks. Please note that we will need to take up the references provided in your application form prior to interview.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.