< Back to Leadership Vacancies
IITA International School, Ibadan (Nigeria)
Appointed - George Piacentini
Dec 9, 2015
Jan 31, 2016
IITA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, IBADAN, NIGERIA
Search for new HEAD
– from August 2016 (or earlier if at all possible)
The IITA International School in Ibadan, Nigeria is seeking a new Head, to start no later than August 2016 and ideally earlier, and has asked Search Associates to help in the search.
A. THE IITA
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Its R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. It works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. It has more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
The Institute now seeks a highly qualified and experienced Head Teacher to provide professional leadership for its international school that will secure its success and improvement and ensure high-quality education for all its pupils and good standards of learning and achievement.
B. THE SCHOOL
Established in 1972, The International School of IITA is a private, co-educational school with children of all nationalities from the ages of 18 months to 14 years old. About 90 children are enrolled currently. Its mission is to provide a comprehensive, international curriculum in an environment which promotes confidence, compassion and understanding, and prepares students for successful learning throughout their education.
The School is a member of AISA and CIS and has the advantage of being situated on the campus of the IITA, an agricultural research station of outstanding beauty about 10 miles from Ibadan. The children not only benefit from a well-resourced, safe and caring school but also from an environment rich in opportunities for meaningful and practical learning.
Governed by the IITA Management, the School draws on its Anglo-American foundation to deliver a broad-based international primary and middle school curriculum. English, with a supporting ESL programme, is the medium of instruction. Preparation for secondary school entrance examinations is given and a number of students have gone on to achieve coveted places at schools in Nigeria as well as in the UK and the USA.
The school offers a full extra-curricular programme including French, drama, gymnastics, computers, singing and drumming, games, art and craft, and aerobics. There are 14 classrooms, a computer room, a science room, a large school hall, and a library building. The school uses the IITA swimming pool and its scientific and sporting facilities. There is a maximum of 12 students per class.
For further information please see http://school.iita.org.
C. THE HEAD
The Head of the school is required to
- manage effectively all aspects and change processes for a successful school
- develop and implement a broad and relevant curriculum and innovative approaches to teaching and learning to meet the needs of all students; monitor and evaluate the curriculum for both quality and value for money
- work closely with IITA Management to ensure that the school vision and strategic plan are effective and pertinent to the school's goals, and that these goals are clearly articulated, shared, understood and acted upon effectively by all
- work within the school community to translate the vision into agreed objectives and operational plans which will promote and sustain continual school improvement and a sense of team ownership
- ensure that strategic planning takes account of the diversity, values and experience of the school and community at large
- ensure creativity, innovation and the use of appropriate new technologies and initiatives to achieve excellence
- implement appropriate prevention, preparedness, and health and safety practices
- build and maintain effective partnerships between school, students and parents to support learning
- have overall responsibility for the management and performance of the school; ensure that management, finances and administration of the school supports its vision and aims
- manage performance, utilising all staff effectively, challenging and addressing underperformance whilst providing for the continuous professional development of all staff
- ensure that educational provision and achievement for pupils with special needs are maximized through an appropriate mix of integrated and specialist needs provision; motivate and work with others to create a shared culture and positive climate
- build a collaborative learning culture and, with other schools, agencies and partners (especially with the schools within Ibadan and Lagos) continue to build effective learning communities to promote excellence in teaching and learning
- carry out any duties as may be reasonably required by the Supervisor.
Any candidate should have a qualification in some aspect of education of at least Masters level from a recognised university, and at least 5 years of relevant experience of school leadership including international experience.
Desired qualities and experience:
- Experience of leadership in an international school and up to date knowledge of relevant curriculum and current learning strategies
- Ability to provide effective leadership and ensure strategic development within the school
- Exceptional interpersonal and public communication skills related to an educational environment
- Experience of working in a developing country
- Successful personal experience of leading a school through one or more accreditation processes
- Knowledge of, or experience with, Montessori and IB PYP
- Ability to create a safe, nurturing, and challenging learning environment that encompasses developmentally appropriate practices, establishes foundations for future growth, and engages young people in building social skills and knowledge
- Commitment to inclusive and comprehensive strategic planning
- Proven experience of successfully managing change
- Proven ability to work with diverse stakeholders, including students, staff, board members, parents and external communities
- Ability to recruit, guide, motivate and blend competent national and international faculty and staff members
- Financial acumen and budgeting experience with excellent planning and organizational skills
- Experience of, or willingness to participate in, fund-raising from parents, business, community members and local government
- Cross-cultural openness and understanding
- Strong work ethic, problem solving abilities, and excellent organizational and administrative skills
Desired personal characteristics:
- Focused and organized, with excellent time management skills, able to delegate tasks
- Ability to generate trust among all constituent groups and to develop a shared vision for the school
- Honest and open with staff, students and parents
- Ability to create and lead a learning community in which all members have a desire to inquire, evaluate and challenge thinking
- Approachable with an ‘open door’ policy and a visible presence on the campus
- Innovative and willing to learn; especially in regards to new pedagogy and educational technology
- Strong moral and ethical code
- Strong, compassionate, diplomatic and approachable communicator in a diverse cultural environment.
Contract and remuneration:
The contract will be for three years initially. IITA offers an internationally competitive remuneration package including a tax-free salary paid in US dollars and other attractive benefits including accommodation on the campus.
D. THE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Suitably qualified candidates should send to David Cope of Search Associates – email@example.com
all the items below collated together in a single pdf as an email attachment (to arrive as soon as possible, and no later than 31 January 2016)
- a letter of application (no more than one page), briefly outlining why the candidate wishes to apply for this position and what specific skills, qualities and experience he/she can offer
- a CV (no more than two pages)
- a statement of educational and leadership philosophy (no more than one page)
- the names and full contact details of at least three professional referees (one of which must be either the leader of the applicant’s current organisation or the applicant’s direct supervisor at her/his present place of work)
- a good recent head-and-shoulders photo
Interviews will probably take place during February 2016, with the final round at IITA. However, IITA reserves the option to invite selected candidates to interviews in advance of this schedule.
Closing date: 31 January 2016
Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.