< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Nov 9, 15
Dec 5, 15
Amman Baccalaureate School
Position: Head of Junior School (Grades 1 to 5)
Effective Start Date: 1 August 2016
The Amman Baccalaureate School is an IB World school that provides a bilingual education in Arabic and English, which, while meeting the highest international standards, remains firmly rooted in the Arab heritage. The Amman Baccalaureate School works towards developing well-rounded, responsible world citizens.
ABS wishes to appoint a suitable candidate effective 1 August 2016 in the capacity of:
Head of Junior School (Grades 1 to 5)
The successful candidate will be an exceptional individual with superior communication and leadership skills, together with a highly developed ability to lead transformational change within an academic context, whilst securing the highest levels of excellence in education, student and teacher experience.
If you share our vision and have the skills and experience we seek, please apply through https://abs.akhtaboot.com before 5 December 2015. The Principal, Mr. Stuart Bryan MA, is also available to answer any questions from interested candidates for the above position via email at email@example.com.
The Amman Baccalaureate School (ABS) is situated on the west side of Amman in Jordan; it was established in 1981 by the Hashemite Society for Education, a charitable society registered with the Ministry of Social Development. ABS is a non-profit organisation, whose educational and administrative policies are set by the school's Board of Trustees, chaired by Her Royal Highness Princess Sarvath El Hassan.
The school was founded with the aim of providing a bilingual education, which would meet, in quality and breadth, the highest international standards, whilst remaining firmly rooted in the Arab heritage. At the same time, the school has increasingly attracted students from the international community who wish to take advantage of the opportunity offered in the Middle Years School and IB Diploma College to pursue an education in English which, nonetheless, sustains close contact with the culture of the host country. Student enrolment is currently around 1170 students with 176 teaching staff and 126 support staff. 14 nationalities are represented amongst our student population, 10 in our staff.
The Amman Baccalaureate School is a school where modern educational theory and practice are implemented and enthusiastically embraced. Involvement with each and every student as an individual is a guiding principle at ABS. The high proportion of teachers to students (1:6.5) allows this principle to be a reality. This compares very favourably with institutions of similar academic standing, both nationally and internationally.
The Amman Baccalaureate School is a private, fee-paying school, licensed by the Jordanian Ministry of Education. It is a coeducational day school, and prepares its students for the International Baccalaureate Diploma, Courses and Career – related programmes as school leaving qualifications. As well as providing an academic education of high quality, the school attaches considerable importance to creative, physical and community service activities, and offers a wide and developing range of facilities and opportunities in these areas.
ABS was the first school in Jordan and one of only a select few schools worldwide to be authorised by the International Baccalaureate (IB) to offer all four IB programmes: the IB Diploma Programme (1986), the IB Middle Years Programme (2003), the IB Career –related Programme (2014) and the IB Primary Years Programme (2015), with the IB Primary Years Programme following an unique Arabic/English bilingual programme of inquiry. The School also became the first school worldwide in 2015 to be accredited by the World Academy of Sport as an athlete friendly education centre and thus able to offer an innovative approach to the delivery of the IB Diploma Programme to students with distinguished sporting capabilities.
ABS is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and recently underwent an exceptionally successful Five Year Visit as the first school worldwide to pilot the new 8th edition conversion protocol (2012). The school has also been selected by CIS to pilot the new protocol for re-accreditation and will be one of the first schools worldwide to undertake this process, with the preparatory visit scheduled for May 2016.
It is also a Global Member of the Round Square Conference of Schools.
The Post: Introduction
The Head of Junior School is the senior educational leader for Grades 1 to 5 and is responsible for the learning, teaching and welfare of approximately 400 students. The Head of Junior School is a member of the whole school (KG1 to Grade 12) Leadership Team, which together with the three other Heads of School, Director of Business Administration, Vice Principals and Principal, all form the senior executive committee of the school responsible and accountable to the Board of Trustees for all school policies and procedures.
The new Head of Junior School will lead a wider Junior School Pedagogical Leadership Team consisting of Deputy Heads (who are also Arabic and English programme co-ordinators) and an IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) Co-ordinator. There will also be regular meetings with the Head of Kindergarten and Deputy Head as part of the wider KG1 to Grade 5 Primary Pedagogical Leadership Team.
It is imperative that the new Head of Junior School will have the necessary qualifications, experience and skills to assume overall direction of a bilingual (Arabic/English) IB PYP curriculum programme from Grade 1 to Grade 5 in order to promote curriculum continuity, vertical articulation and quality learning and teaching delivery throughout the whole school.
The Head of Junior School will be accountable for the continuous improvement of the school in supporting the highest academic standards by securing the best possible learning and teaching environment. The Head of Junior School will work closely with the Vice Principal and Principal to provide leadership and management necessary to ensure the success of the school in meeting and exceeding its strong record of academic performance, as well as fulfilling the Guiding Statements of The Amman Baccalaureate School (ABS).
The Head of Junior School will work closely with the Vice Principals and Principal to recruit, retain and develop a truly outstanding faculty and staff in the school through the implementation of our performance management, professional staff development and recruitment policies. The Head of Junior School will report to the Vice Principal (Primary).
The Post: Job Description
1. Related to Students
- Admission and placement of new students in consultation with the Registrar and in accordance with School policy.
- All matters pertaining to students' academic programmes, special needs and pastoral care.
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date student records including: academic performance and progress, additional educational needs, health, attendance, achievements and other relevant information.
- Maintaining an overview of each student's performance and progress.
- Preparing any necessary documentation needed to assist a student transferring to another school.
- Maintaining appropriate discipline and behaviour of students in accordance with school rules and policy.
- Advising grade 5 students on the transition to Middle School.
- Making appropriate arrangements for students with special needs in accordance with school policy and resources.
2. Related to Staff
- Advising the Vice Principal on Junior School staffing needs and interviewing prospective candidates.
- Advising the Vice Principal on professional development needs for Junior School staff, recommending participants for external professional development and implementing agreed internal programmes of professional development.
- Leading the Junior School Performance Management strategy
- Holding such meetings of members of the Junior School staff as may be required.
- Preparing such timetables, duty rotas, etc., as may be required for the smooth running of the Junior School programmes and the care and supervision of students.
3. Related to Parents
- Ensuring that parents of all Junior School students are kept informed of their child(ren)s' academic and social performance and progress.
- Arranging such meetings of parents and staff as may be needed to ensure that parents are kept informed of their child(ren)'s progress and performance.
- Ensuring that parents receive regular written reports of their child(ren)'s progress and performance in accordance with School practice.
- Advising parents on any particular problems or difficulties pertaining to their child(ren)
- Communicating to parents all necessary information pertaining to the Junior School programmes and activities.
- Contacting parents directly in cases of emergency, or other serious problems, connected with their child(ren) .
- Liaison with the PTA as appropriate on matters pertaining to the Junior School.
4. Related to the curriculum.
- Supervising and evaluating the implementation of the agreed Junior School academic and pastoral curricula and ensuring continuity of student learning throughout the school.
- Recommending to the Principal possible changes in the Junior School curriculum.
5. Related to transition
- Coordinating as appropriate with the Heads of KG and Middle Years School on matters pertaining to staff.
- Liaison with the KG and Middle Year School on the transition of students within ABS.
- Maintaining control of any Junior School budget allocations and ensuring that all expenditure is within the guidelines and directives set by the Vice Principal.
- Recommending to the Principal budgetary needs of the Junior School.
- Ensuring that all materials, equipment and furnishings needed for the Junior School programmes are available when required.
- Ensuring that an appropriate timetable is prepared for all Junior School programmes.
- Ensuring that the Junior School office and support staff, allocated to the Junior School, carry out their responsibilities effectively and efficiently.
- Contributing to the general welfare and morale of staff.
- Contributing to the general development and effectiveness of the School as a whole.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Principal within the terms of contract.
- Providing a safe and healthy environment for all Junior School students and staff.
The Post: Person Specification
Essential Qualities and Experience
Highly Desirable Qualities and Experience
1. Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate degree in a related field plus appropriate post-graduate educational qualifications (teaching certificate, Master’s degree etc.)
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in schools
- Minimum of 5 years at Senior Leadership Team Level (Head or Deputy)
- Proven track-record of appropriate professional development
- Proven track-record of teaching, with ability to model the highest standards of learning and teaching to colleagues
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Advanced Educational or Administrative Qualifications
- Excellent spoken and written Arabic
2. Organisation, Leadership and Management
- Proven effectiveness in a senior leadership role in a Junior School or equivalent
- Proven ability to create a shared vision and engage in change in an effective manner
- Proven knowledge and awareness of School Strategic and Improvement Planning processes
- Proven track record and experience of excellent Staff recruitment
- Evidence of leadership ability in a school in a national school with an international curriculum
- Experience of leadership in an all through Primary – Secondary school
- Experience of school financial and budgetary control
- Proven understanding of the International Baccalaureate PYP and how to use it to maintain and improve the achievements of all students
- Proven experience of leading curriculum change in a school
- Proven experience in developing effective staffing structures, including some knowledge of timetabling, to ensure the highest standards of learning
- Proven management and leadership of a school self evaluation/performance management strategy
- Experience of curriculum development and change in an international setting
- Experience and/or knowledge of the Council of International Schools Accreditation process
4.Learning, Teaching and Student Support
- Proven effectiveness, enthusiasm and passion as a teacher
- Proven ability to lead developments in learning and teaching
- Proven ability in leading professional development for teachers
- Proven experience and understanding of how technology can improve student learning
- Experience and knowledge of current leading practice for Additional Educational Needs
- Experience of leadership and management of ICT systems
5. External Relations
- Proven ability to work with and build relationships with the wider school community, particularly parents
- Proven ability to maintain proactive communications with all parts of the school community
6. Personal Qualities
- Proven ability as an innovative and strategic thinker; ability to work calmly under pressure and keep to deadlines
- Proven ability to be a good communicator, both oral and written
- Proven ability to inspire professional respect and integrity necessary to support teachers in their work
- Proven ability to be approachable, flexible and adaptable; a team player, with good sense of humour
- Proven ability to support and lead the implementation of the School's Guiding Statements
The Post: Application Procedures
An initial 2-year, renewable contract offers a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and the responsibilities of the position.
Interested candidates should send an application at the earliest possible time but no later than 5 December 2015.
The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Semi-finalists will be selected by late November/early December, with onsite interviews arranged immediately thereafter. The final selection will be made by 17 December 2015. Candidates should note that, in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ABS reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline mentioned above and to bring the search to an early close. For this reason it is very important that interested candidates apply at the earliest possible time.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.