< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Dominic Robeau
Mar 12, 2020
Apr 17, 2020
AL BATINAH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
Seeks a new Head of School
August 2020 or August 2021
ABIS is a mission driven, student centered school. We believe that by focusing on the needs of the individual student, giving all we can and being passionate about what we do we can make a real difference to students.
ABIS students are 60% expatriate students and 40% Omani nationals. All our students are expected to live and breathe the IB Learner Profile. We set high exceptions of all our students and as a result the culture of the school is extremely positive.
ABIS is not just a school. It is a community of learners living and learning for a sustainable future. ABIS values change and innovation as can be seen in its learning centres, as well as diversity which is reflected in the student and staff population. Over 30 nationalities walk into our campus every day. We value personalized learning, and are committed to helping each child under our care to have as many opportunities to be the best that they can possibly be.
VISION AND MISSION
We will challenge and inspire all students to reach their full potential by becoming well-rounded global citizens and successful lifelong learners.
OUR STRATEGIC GOALS
LEADERSHIP AND GOVERNANCE
ABIS is extremely fortunate to have the support of two of the biggest industrial players in the market. Sohar Aluminium & OQ are committed to supporting ABIS on its journey to becoming a beacon of quality international education in Oman. In January 2017, ABIS became an independent entity jointly owned by our two shareholders. We are proud to be associated with two companies who take investing in the future of Sohar so seriously. We are grateful for their continued support and their focus on excellence above all else.
Council of International Schools
ABIS is fully accredited by the globally renowned, not-for-profit accreditation agency, The Council of International Schools. One of just a few schools in the region to have achieved this, CIS Accredited Member status is your guarantee that the school is well run and mission driven. This accreditation is particularly important in the Middle East where the quality of schools is mixed.
ABIS is an active member of the IB community of schools.
The Primary Years Programme
The Middle Years Programme (undergoing accreditation)
The Diploma Programme
Our school has a wonderful story punctuated by individuals making a commitment to the future. The whole community striving together to create a place of inquiry and instilling the love of learning.
2007: Sohar Aluminium, then recently built, decided to set up the Al Batinah International School to provide high quality education for expatriate families moving to the area. Initially located in a villa near the airport that was then nowhere to be seen, ABIS welcomes student for the first time.
2008: The school moves to its current location to become the proud owners of some great new facilities including the best gym in town and a wonderful swimming pool.
2010 : As only the third school in Oman, ABIS is authorized to offer the inquiry based Primary Years Programme of the International Baccalaureate.
ABIS offers IGCSE courses to middle school students. The school offers a programme for students up to 16 years old culminating in the IGCSEs.
2012: After spending years being in the primary school rooms, the SLS provides our older students with a wonderful space to learn and grow.
2013: ABIS is authorized to offer the IB Diploma Programme and opens up Grade 11
ABIS starts working together with Sohar Aluminium & OQ to develop a partnership
2014: We start the authorization process to go from a member of the Council of International Schools to an accredited member status.
2015: ABIS starts construction of a major expansion & improvement of its facilities.
2017: ABIS Expansion Phase 1 is completed.
ABIS is an active member of the IB community of schools.
We have a shared mission with the International Baccalaureate to create self-driven, lifelong learners who ask the difficult, sometimes uncomfortable, questions and formulate complex answers.
ABIS is an International Baccalaureate school which is authorised to offer the PYP and DP programmes and is currently implementing the MYP for our middle years’ students.
The Primary Years Programme for our younger students
Primary children are like sponges, sucking up all the new and exciting things that are presented to them. At ABIS we work hard to understand the strengths of each individual child and use that understanding to help them develop in all areas of the curriculum.
The Middle Years Programme for students in Grade 7 – 10
Middle school students at ABIS are expected to take responsibility for their own learning. Our students are actively engaged and challenged to look at local issues with global significance. Our goal is to make school a place where they love to come because they are challenged, cared for and respected.
The Diploma Programme for our oldest students
The IB Diploma is the most rigorous university entrance programme that exists. It challenges students to push themselves to achieve at a level that they never thought was possible. Our knowledgeable and skilled staff are there to support them on this challenging journey and guide them to success.
Our teachers are recruited globally. We put enormous effort into finding and keeping the very best teachers that we can. In the end, buildings and grounds mean nothing if the teachers who work in them are not up to scratch.
We have created a Community of Learners. ABIS works hard to make children develop a deep sense of belonging. Giving them the feeling that what they say and do are important and valued.
We now know how children learn best and what kind of spaces allow them to active, productive and creative learners. By taking a research-driven approach to designing the school’s facilities, we created spaces where children of all ages love to learn.
Our Early Childhood Centre
Our Early Childhood Centre is the heart of our school. Our youngest children have a very special place at ABIS.
We work hard to encourage connections between the older students and the little ones fostering strong relationships between them through House teams and special events.
Shared sporting events
Some of the most important learning takes place outside of the classroom.
At ABIS, students are encouraged to share their successes (and challenges), become role models to younger students, and aspire to be the best that they can be.
Our grounds are designed to provide lots of spaces for physical and imaginative plays, lively discussions and collaborative learning,
Learning at ABIS is designed to take place everywhere.
The ABIS Farm
The ABIS Farm lies at the heart of the ABIS Campus. A place to connect to the natural world, the farm provides students with the ability learn in an authentic environment and gives them a space to breathe.
Our farm is currently occupied by our three amusing goats, our chickens and fishes. Our middle schoolers are busy making bird houses to attract more species in the farm.
Our Activities programme
At ABIS, students have a wide range of opportunities to experience new things and to stretch themselves different ways
Our Eco Club is active every year helping raise awareness of environmental issues at the school and in the local community. Our Annual Beach Clean Up was initiated by one of our students some years ago and remains an important event.
Model United Nations
The Model United Nations is an incredible organisation which encourages young people to gather together and discus pressing and important issues. ABIS students attend MUN events in Muscat, Qatar and even as far afield as St. Petersburg!
Early Morning Sports and After School Activities
Early morning sports are a fixture at ABIS. Swim training, gymnastics & fitness training are just some of the activities happening from 7:00AM onwards almost every day at ABIS.
A great way to wake up and start the day!
A huge range of after school activities are provided (free of charge) to our students. They range from dance through to soccer, maths extension through to model making.
HEAD OF SCHOOL JOB DESCRIPTION
(ABIS is owned by two companies: Sohar Aluminium and OQ. The Board of Directors is made up of four individuals. Two represent Sohar Aluminium and two represent OQ).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Head of School shall report directly to the Chair of the Board. The duties and
responsibilities of the Head of School include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as the chief executive officer of ABIS with oversight and responsibility for the school’s day-to-day operations.
- Work with the Board to develop and implement ABIS’s goals and strategic plan in order to realize the school’s mission.
- Create, promote and maintain the culture and ethos of ABIS regarding student learning, development and excellence.
- Build and enhance relationships with the ministries of education or similar authorities in Oman and the region as well as ABIS’s stakeholders, including administrators, faculty, staff, parents and the local community.
- Hire and supervise the evaluation process of all administrators, faculty and staff.
- Develop and implement ABIS’s curriculum, teaching and learning programs.
- Develop and manage ABIS’s annual budget.
- Drive expansion planning in line with the school’s mission
- Implement school policies, as well as develop new policies for Board approval.
- Support admissions, marketing and community outreach efforts in an order to maintain and ensure robust enrollment numbers.
- Attend and participate as a non-voting member in all meetings of the Board and its committees.
- Develop and implement clear strategic plan that enable the school to be minimum cash neutral and sustainable.
- Drive, develop and implement comprehensive market strategy that enable the school to have growth in enrollment.
- Demonstrate a strong business and commercial sense.
- Due to industrial growth within Duqm (Southern coastal city within Oman) OQ has the intent to look at, implement, grow and possibly construct a new school. The school would follow the model of ABIS. The candidate will be responsible to help OQ analyze, research, and begin the development of a new school. During the first year of employment the candidate will take responsibility to work with OQ to help lead this effort and the long-term potential is the candidate may have multi-school/multi-site responsibility. Further, during the first year, an interim head of ABIS will be placed to assist in the day to day responsibilities of running the school and allow the candidate time to work, as required, in Duqm. The frequency of travel to Duqm may be 1 to 2 weeks per month depending on the required task.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A strong academic background, including a minimum of a Master’s degree preferably in education, education administration, or a related field.
- Experience in the IB program.
- At least three years of experience as head of school or head of a sizeable school, division (e.g.: Head of Lower, Middle or Upper School).
- Fluency in English and a high degree of proficiency in at least one foreign language.
- Experience with bilingual education and skill and understanding in serving bilingual learners.
- Proven record of outstanding educational leadership as administrator in Primary and/or Secondary education.
- Outstanding leadership abilities in motivating, inspiring and challenging both staff and students in order to strengthen and promote the vision and the values of ABIS.
- Exceptional interpersonal and public communication skills gained in an educational environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders, including students, staff, board members, parents and external communities.
- Ability to recruit, guide, motivate and blend competent national and international faculty, administrators and staff members.
- Experience or willingness to participate in fund-raising.
- Cross-cultural openness and understanding, together with a willingness to become part of the local community in order to promote the ABIS’s interests.
- Prior educational experience outside of home country. Experience in identifying the need for change and of driving change processes.
- Ability to multi-task and manage important challenges simultaneously.
- Ability to prepare and adhere to a multi-million-dollar budget.
- Honest, direct, and capable of making difficult decisions.
- Strong work ethic, problem solving abilities, and excellent organizational and administrative skills.
DESIRED PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- An approachable interpersonal style, a visible presence on campus and in the community.
- A strong moral and ethical code.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Curious, innovative and open minded.
- Ability to create and lead a learning community in which all members have a desire to inquire, evaluate and challenge thinking.
- Strong, compassionate, diplomatic and approachable communicator in a diverse cultural environment.
- High energy, focused, task driven with good time management skills and the ability to delegate.
- Ability to generate trust among all constituent groups and to develop a shared vision for the school.
- Good listener
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The compensation package will be internationally competitive and commensurate with the candidate’s experience and qualifications. Further details will be provided to finalist candidates.
PROCEDURE FOR FILING AN APPLICATION
The Board of Directors of ABIS has appointed Search Associates as its partner in its search for a Head of School with Dr. Norma Hudson serving as the lead consultant. The deadline for applications for the position is April 17, 2020. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials listed below as early as possible as the Search Committee reserves the right to close the selection process at any time should the right candidate be identified.
Candidates should submit the following information in the format requested:
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this particular position, and indicating the availability date (August 2020 or August 2021)
- A current resume not to exceed two pages
- A list of references of immediate supervisors including current email addresses and phone numbers
- A maximum of three letters of reference (scanned at low resolution) that may already be in your possession.
Please note that all materials must be scanned into a single pdf attachment of 4MB or less and sent to Search Associates at the email address listed below. Please send the complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Norma Hudson
Tel: 970-389-1906 Mountain Time Zone
The review of applications will begin as soon as applications are received. Qualified candidates will be interviewed and potentially forwarded to the ABIS Search Committee for further review. Finalist candidates (with spouses, if applicable) will be invited to Sohar to visit the campus and meet with members of the Board of Directors, leadership team, faculty, staff, parents, and students in May. The new Head of School will be selected at the end of the site visit, finalist interviews, and reference checks and will assume his/her professional responsibilities in August 2020 or August 2021.
Additional information about ABIS may be found on the school’s website https://abisoman.com/