< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Head of School
ENKO Bonanjo International School (Cameroon)
Appointed - Dr. Bruce Gilbert
Apr 30, 19
May 25, 19
We are pleased to announce that after a thorough worldwide search process ENKO Education has recently appointed Dr Bruce Gilbert to be the next Head of ENKO Bonanjo International School in Douala, Cameroon.
Bruce is a Canadian and has Bachelor’s degrees from Concordia University, Montreal and the University of New Brunswick, Master’s degrees from Acadia University, Nova Scotia, and the United States International University (London campus) and a Doctorate in Educational Psychology from Boston University. He has unusually extensive experience as an international school head, having served in that role since 1997 at Hanoi International School in Vietnam, Maseru Preparatory School in Lesotho, the International School of Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia, the American International School of Conakry in Guinea, the Sana’a British School in Yemen, the Lusaka International Community School in Zambia, Machabeng College in Lesotho, the British Nigerian Academy, the International School of Choueifat in Amman, Jordan and Wuxi Taihu International School (now known as Boston International School) in China.
Bruce will start his new job in Douala in August 2019 and is greatly looking forward to joining the school community together with his wife and 16-year-old son.
ENKO BONANJO INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
HEAD OF SCHOOL (from August 2019)
Enko Education is a fast-growing network of African international schools, increasing access for learners across Africa to the world’s best universities, through outstanding international education.
Enko Education has developed an innovative model to unlock students’ potential through high-quality international curricula, commonly leading to the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP). This is achieved while offering tuition fees as low as a fifth of what other international schools may charge.
With 13 schools across Africa, Enko Education already operates in Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Cameroon, Mali, Burkina Faso, Mozambique and South Africa, and aims to open 50 more schools in the next five years. Several international financing institutions, including Proparco, I&P, Oiko Credit, LiquidAfrica and BIO support Enko Education’s vision and ambition.
The Enko Bonanjo school is located in Douala, the largest city and economic heart of Cameroon. The school became an IB World School in 2017 and is CIE accredited.
For a fuller picture please see www.enkoeducation.com
Any Enko Head of School needs to be a person who is inspirational, ambitious and adventurous, and cares deeply for children.
The Head of School is responsible for directing and continuously improving all aspects of the school including (but not limited to) learning and teaching, finance, operations and student recruitment, in line with the group’s Standards and Practices and with the Enko culture. Specific responsibilities include:
- Implementing Enko Education Standards and Practices
- Achieving the school’s educational objectives
- Building an outstanding team – recruiting, developing and retaining high-quality teaching and non-teaching staff
- Achieving the school’s enrolment and financial objectives
- Ensuring parent and student satisfaction
- Contributing to improving the Enko model and developing our network in Africa
All Enko heads of schools receive a wide range of support from Enko Education’s central team and from other heads of schools.
Current, or recently retired, IB school heads are particularly welcome to apply, but highly experienced IB Coordinators or Heads of Department who are looking for a first headship will also be considered.
The ideal candidate:
- Has either extensive experience as a school head or is a successful senior leader in an IB school, an IB Coordinator or a Head of Department who has the motivation and skills to become a head of school
- Lives and breathes IB values
- Has an entrepreneurial mindset, with a hands-on attitude, energy and resilience
- Thinks growth and scale, to tackle one of the largest and most pressing needs of the continent
- Shares Enko’s vision of offering a first-class international education to the fast-growing African middle class
- Understands the affordability challenges and expectations we face with our parent population
- Demonstrates a passion for the African continent
- Has excellent communication skills in both French and English
- Embodies Enko’s values.
Enko Education will help the successful candidate to relocate. Benefits include housing, transportation, annual flight home, medical aid and settling in allowance.
Candidates interested in the possibility of being considered
for this unusual and attractive opportunity
– or for any other similar opportunities with Enko in the future –
should contact David Cope of Search Associates email@example.com
as soon as possible, and no later than 25 May 2019.
Anyone reading this who knows of one or more people who could be
suitable for leadership positions in Enko schools
are welcome to nominate these potential candidates to David Cope.
Candidates should send David Cope initially a copy of their CV and a short letter
outlining why the job attracts them and what they can offer.
Further information will be made available to all suitable candidates.
firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline: 25 May 2019