< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - David Henry
Jun 26, 20
Jul 31, 20
On behalf of the community of the International School of Paris ( ISP ) we are pleased to announce the appointment of DAVID HENRY as their next Head of School, effective Summer of 2021.
David brings a wealth of leadership and teaching experience to ISP from across the world, notably in Africa but also in Central America, the Bahamas, Europe, and Asia - an international journey that began as a Peace Corps volunteer - with a B.Sc. in Computer Science from the University of Tulsa - in Burkina Faso as a “French Math Professor”. David was also the founder of the "Grass Roots Foundation", an African Artisans Cooperative Development Project.
Subsequently earning advanced degrees in educational leadership — an M.Ed. in Educational Leadership from the College of New Jersey and an M.Ed. in International Development Education from Howard University — David’s international schools career commenced as a teacher in technology, mathematics, and science followed by Director positions in The Bahamas and Tashkent and a return to Africa in Chad, Mali and since 2016 as Director of the International of Kenya ( ISK ). Professional contributions include his service on the AISA Board, Accreditation Visitor for CIS and service on the MSA International Advisory Committee, and membership in AISH and AAIE. David will be joined by his wife, Maria Ramilo, also an educator, in their first posting without one of their three daughters joining them.
The ISP Board of Trustees organized an outstanding virtual Head Search Program led by the ISP Search Committee Chair Ingrid Equestre-Mezger and Board President Nathalie Courtel. In commenting on the selection of David Henry to the ISP community, Nathalie Courtel describes David as “a superb fit to ISP’s ethos of caring and ambition to make this world a better place”, and further commenting on David’s accomplishments at ISK where “he spearheaded a comprehensive community-wide program to explore the true meaning of diversity and inclusiveness, an initiative that demonstrates his understanding of complexity in our world and commitment to internationalism in education."
The ISP community, its Search Committee and Board of Trustees, and Search Associates would like to thank all the outstanding candidates who expressed an interest in the Head of School position, and everyone who supported and assisted the search process.
Dr. Günther Brandt
The International School of Paris
Seeks a new Head of School
Effective July 1, 2021
The International School of Paris Educates for Complexity, serving a highly mobile and culturally diverse international community as the only three-program IB Continuum World School in France. Recently re-accredited by IB, CIS and NEASC, ISP is deeply committed to inquiry-based learning that meets the highest standards in international education with student and community well-being at its center. Across its three campuses (Primary, Middle and High School) located in the heart of Paris, a talented and experienced staff and engaged parent community are committed to preparing students to engage with and succeed in a complex world.
Who We Are
Since our founding in 1964, ISP has been committed to educating its students to become lifelong learners and conscientious global citizens. Our Guiding Statements are focused on the development of the whole student into an active, inquisitive, imaginative, healthy learner ready to engage with the uncertainties of an increasingly complex world.
ISP is home to over 700 students with over 65 nationalities in Pre-K through Grade 12. English is the language of instruction, but ISP’s international language programs are central to our identity. We offer French and English courses catering to learners from beginners to native speakers, a broad mother tongue program supporting the over 35 languages spoken at ISP, and additional acquisition programs in multiple world languages. Two-thirds of ISP’s students achieve bilingual IB diplomas, far beyond the world average.
ISP is proud of its IB Diploma results which reflect its commitment to excellence. We are dedicated to inclusive education and believe all our students should have access to the benefits that come with an IB Diploma. Every year, ISP students are admitted to some of the best universities throughout the world.
The over 450 families of the ISP community are supported by an active PTA that focuses on inclusion and engagement. PTA Class Representatives provide an integral link between the school and families and ensure that parent voices are heard in developing school initiatives. Each year the PTA sponsors numerous community events, such as PTA Presents Paris to welcome the dozens of new families arriving each September and our International Day celebration.
The International School of Paris operates as an independent non-profit association made up of parent-members. It is governed by a diverse Board of Trustees with a commitment to collaborative leadership and community engagement. The Head of School reports to and works closely with the Board of Trustees in a mutually supportive partnership to plan and implement ISP’s operational and strategic goals.
Where We Are
Our three campuses, closely situated in an inviting neighborhood of Paris’ 16th Arrondissement, provide a safe, vibrant, innovative and truly cosmopolitan educational environment, with the latest in classroom design and state of the art technology.
Our Primary Campus adjacent to the leafy Jardins du Ranelagh provides warm, engaging spaces for children in Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 5 to feel confident playing with possibilities, making mistakes and pushing their boundaries.
Our Middle School Campus on rue Cortambert is a blend of modern and historical buildings situated around a gated courtyard. While ideal for middle school students the Cortambert campus is designed as a whole-school facility with art, drama, science, technology and research resources for learners of all ages.
Our High School Campus sits across the River Seine from the Eiffel Tower on rue Beethoven. In its modern glass-walled classrooms and airy rooftop art studio, our oldest students explore their forthcoming role in the world with confidence and creativity.
Paris is our classroom. Our location in the center of one of the greatest cities in the world provides unique opportunities in Experiential and Service Learning. Each year our students embark on over 70 local field trips and volunteer and contribute to numerous service projects in our community. All our Grade 9 students engage in Work Experience internships with local businesses. Our extensive extracurricular programs are enhanced by direct access to Paris’ parks and public and private recreation facilities and our relationships with local civic organizations.
ISP is Moving from Experience to Influence. We are a community of learners who aspire to increase and share our experience and expertise by creating networks and relationships to collaborate in inquiry and innovation.
- Our Research Centre is dedicated to closing the gap between theory and classroom practice and to contribute more profoundly to the creation of a learning society. During the recent COVID-19 pandemic, nearly 50 ISP staff members participated in an ongoing research project focused on the impact of home learning on educational outcomes.
- Our teachers are IB workshop leaders, examiners, accreditors and international education advisors. We are host to numerous international conferences and training events, including IB Regional Conferences and ELSA France Teacher Development Day.
- Our parents and teachers make up our Human Library, which supports student inquiry and more meaningfully connects students to real life experiences and applied skills.
HEAD OF SCHOOL POSITION PROFILE
In the context of its commitment to the IB, ISP seeks a Head of School who is an experienced Learning Leader with the capacity, drive, and resilience to further develop ISP's guiding aspirations, collaborative culture, and cohesion as a diverse international community.
- Extensive experience as a Head of School in international schools
- Program and leadership experience in the IB.
- Postgraduate academic background with evidence of leadership learning
- Proven record of effective Board - Head partnership, strategic planning, and strong stakeholder management
- Proficiency in budgeting and financial management
- Experience leading successful accreditation processes
- Strong Manager and Administrator
- Proven record of successful recruiting and staff development/mentoring
- Experience with multi-campus schools, ability to promote whole-school interactions and unity
- Demonstrated ability to sustain and strengthen an aspiring school culture
- Experience with extensive integration of technology into communications and multi-faceted digital learning
- Working experience in Europe and/or EU citizenship preferred
- Multilingual proficiency, particularly in French
ESSENTIAL ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS
- Visible and approachable in the life of the school.
- Student-centered, ensures an inspiring, innovative, and safe learning environment
- Leads by example; with integrity
- Sets high expectations within the leadership team, promoting collaboration and accountability
- Inspires to achieve established goals with a practical, calm and grounded approach
- Emotionally intelligent with high degree of cultural literacy
- Ability to manage change based on trust, fairness, and transparency
- A mindset that embraces the importance of market considerations to achieve the fullness of ISP ambitions and challenges
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ISP offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with position expectations and market benchmarks.
The International School of Paris has selected Search Associates to assist them in the Head of School search, with Dr. Gunther Brandt as Lead Consultant. The deadline for applications is July 31, 2020.
Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the required materials as early as possible as ISP reserves the right to close the selection process AT ANY TIME if the right candidate is found. The review of applications begins as applications are received. Candidates should send the information listed below in a single PDF FILE attached to an email:
- A letter of application describing your interest in the Head of School position at ISP, listing your strengths as a candidate and how your qualifications and experience align with the POSITION PROFILE.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages
- A one page list of four (4) referees who have been your direct supervisors, with current phones and email addresses
- A maximum of three letters of reference that may already be in your possession. The total document size should be kept at (4) MB.
Applications should be sent to:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
For further information on the school see