< Back to Leadership Vacancies
No longer accepting applications
Dec 10, 20
Jan 2, 21
Lincoln Community School
Head of School
effective July 2021 or 2022
The position of LCS Head of School will be available from July 2021 or if the ideal candidate is not available at that time, July 2022.
Lincoln Community School (LCS) is a not-for-profit day school located in Accra, the capital of Ghana serving pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. Founded in 1968, by six American families, Lincoln Community School is an International Baccalaureate World School offering IB curriculum through the lens of U.S. curricular standards. An LCS education spurs students to individual and collaborative success as young adults living globally in a rapidly changing world.
Recognized as a leading international school in Africa, Lincoln Community School is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools in the USA, and authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years, Middle Years, and Diploma Programmes (PYP, MYP, DP). LCS is also a member of the Council of International Schools (CIS), the Association of International Schools in Africa (AISA) and part of the West Africa International Schools Activities League (WAISAL). LCS is located on a 6.5 acre site in a residential area of Accra.
LCS currently enrols 541 students from 32 different countries. This academic year, high school enrollment is 180 students in grades 9 – 12, middle school is 131 students, and elementary school is 230 students including ECC. LCS serves a wide range of international and national organizations, as well as local businesses and families. Class sizes are approximately 20 students or fewer. Specialized learning support programs serve those students with learning English as an additional language (EAL), students with identified mild-moderate learning disabilities as well as extending curriculum for those students that demonstrate a high level of skill or talent in a specific subject area.
In keeping with the ethos as an American-style international school, LCS offers a rich extracurricular program that embraces appreciation for and participation in the arts, personal fitness and a healthy, well-balanced lifestyle. LCS students frequently stay beyond the regular school day to enjoy after-school activity programs. LCS is enriched by its diversity and LCS students are open minded about the community in which they live. Shared cultures, traditions, and experiences form a truly global collective at LCS, making for a strong community.
LCS promotes an education that is challenging, nurturing, and focused on excellence. The school is committed to inspiring students to achieve the highest standards of intellectual and personal development through a stimulating and comprehensive program within a caring, respectful, multicultural environment. Based on a belief that every child is unique and has an innate ability to learn, LCS has a strong commitment to nurturing each child’s strengths and talents. LCS offers a broad-based quality program designed to meet the needs of all its students. The school community is committed to developing students who are resilient and adaptable, equipped with the knowledge and skills and disposition to continue their education and become personally fulfilled, interdependent, socially responsible adults.
The school community has collaboratively developed, agreed on and adopted the following guiding statements.
When we learn, we grow
When we lead, we serve
When we connect, we thrive
We are going to be the most exciting learning environment in Africa, where learning is challenging and joyful, designed by students and teachers together.
LCS values are placed at the forefront of teaching and learning.
- Don’t just tell me how it’s done. Let me try.
- Whatever happens, it’s what you do next that matters.
- Be kind: it opens doors and minds.
- The more we do together, the more we achieve.
The new Head of School must be committed to these and help lead the school in embedding these into all aspects of life at LCS.
The LCS curriculum emphasizes inquiry and problem solving. Consistent with the IB mission of promoting international mindedness, the LCS curriculum is developed and delivered through an international and multicultural perspective. The IB program encourages students to explore and reflect on the world through an inquiry philosophy that immerses Lincoln Learners in challenging academic programs based on international standards. LCS prepares their students for further study and to engage in service through involvement in local communities anywhere in the world.
LCS’s future is built on long range strategic planning and guided by a committed Board of Directors, Administration team and school community. In keeping with LCS’s strategic mission and vision, the school has already embarked on initiatives to ensure LCS is at the forefront of 21st Century learning principles. These initiatives include a multi-million dollar redevelopment project to provide students and faculty with the tools and facilities necessary for success. Phase One has seen the completion of a new state of the art Elementary School that exhibits modern learning spaces with environmentally friendly features and energy efficient technology. The next phases of development will upgrade and expand facilities to empower each of our potential 880 students to create solutions for tomorrow’s challenges.
LCS seeks a Head of School who is an experienced leader of learning with the capacity, drive, and resilience to lead an international school community. Areas that the school will be focusing on in the next few years are:
- Implementing the recently developed mission, vision, values and goals.
- Ensuring the school’s long-term financial stability.
- Marketing the school to grow enrollment and income.
- Ensuring quality teaching and learning is taking place to educate the whole child in the 21st century and that teaching practices are consistent with the school’s mission, vision, values and learning principles.
- Continuing high standard staff recruitment and retention
Required Qualifications / Experience:
- A total of at least 5 successful years of international school experience as Head of School, Deputy Head of School or similar senior leadership positions at least two international schools.
- Prior experience teaching/leading at least one of the IB programs.
- Graduate degree (Masters or PhD) in Education or Educational Administration or Educational Leadership.
- Experience working collaboratively with School Board(s)
- Evidence of ability to recruit and retain quality administrators and faculty
Preferred Qualifications / Experience:
- Superintendent or equivalent administrative certification
- Experience working in all levels of education
- Prior experience in a developing country
- Experience with school building projects
Required qualities and attributes:
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent communication skills
- A strong sense of community and a skilled community builder
- Visible around the school and the wider community
- A high level of emotional intelligence and garners trust from all constituent groups
- A systems thinker
- That each employee makes a significant contribution to our success.
- That contribution is not limited to the assigned responsibilities.
Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the employee or LCS to only the work identified. It is the expectation of the School that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our organization.
Compensation and Benefits
LCS offers an initial contract term of three years (renewable). The remuneration package is commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and is very competitive. Benefits include housing, utilities, use of a school vehicle, comprehensive medical insurance, retirement program, professional development allowance, annual home leave, transportation at the beginning and end of contract, and shipping allowance.
Procedures for Filing An Application
LCS has appointed Search Associates to assist in its search for a Head of School, with Caroline Jacoby as the lead consultant. The deadline for applications is close of business, January 2nd, 2021, GMT. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials listed below as early as possible as the Search Committee reserves the right to close the selection process at any time if the right candidate is found. Semifinalist candidates will be identified by Search Associates and their dossiers forwarded to the school for review. Online interviews will be arranged with the intention to complete the final selection by February 2021.
Candidates should send the information listed below as a single pdf file attached to an email:
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate, how your experience has prepared you to meet the school’s priorities and what interests you in the Head of School position at LCS. Please indicate whether you are available to begin in July 2021 or July 2022.
- A statement describing your educational and leadership philosophy, not to exceed two pages.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages.
- A one-page list of referees with current email addresses.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional comprehensive information about LCS and living in Accra can be found on the school’s recruiting website at http://www.lincoln.edu.gh/hos-recruitment.