< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 7, 21
Oct 6, 21
The English School
Head of School & Rector
Beginning July 2022
Candidates must be citizens of a Commonwealth nation
General Description of the School and School Community
The English School (TES) is located in the Andean city of Bogotá, Colombia. It is a secular, non-profit, privately owned and funded, tuition-based school. TES operates from Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 11. The English Nursery (TEN) is situated on the TES campus and belongs to the Fundación Educativa de Inglaterra (FEI) but operates as an independent institution.
The English School was founded in 1961 and consistent with our mission and vision, the school bases its pedagogical strategy on the principles and programmes of the International Baccalaureate (IB), and adheres to its curricular objectives, organises its pedagogical models and practices around it, and is committed to the development of the profile of the IB learning community.
Students are admitted on a non-selective, first-come, first-served basis. Students are prepared for university entrance by means of the International Baccalaureate (IB). The vast majority of our graduating students, including those with special educational needs, take the full IB Diploma examinations; graduating in Grade 11. All graduating students are also awarded a High School Diploma based on the National Curriculum. 100% of graduates go on to higher education at Colombian or international universities.
Mission, Vision and Guiding Statements
Our purpose is to maximise the academic and personal potential of each of our students through a comprehensive culture of excellence that is holistic, based on the IB principles and programmes and that encompasses distinction in the academic, artistic and athletic fields, fostering leadership and the ability to innovate, mindful of the unique strengths and interests of each student.
To be an agent of change for Colombia and the world, by educating global citizens that are inspired and guided by the core values of integrity, excellence and social and environmental responsibility and awareness.
We have three guiding statements to help us fulfil our mission and vision, and align our strategic objectives:
1) Comprehensive Culture of Excellence
- Academic Excellence
- Encourage artistic, creative and athletic excellence
- Strengthen personal leadership
- Foster the ability to innovate.
2) Committed Community “The English Way”
The English School is an international school of British tradition, which embraces intercultural learning, inclusion and differentiation. Our community is committed to provide a safe environment that prioritises the well-being and care of our students.
We are committed to fulfilling our mission statement “The English Way”, actively upholding as our core values respect, trust, integrity and the principles of the IB Learner profile.
3) Effective Governance and Financial Sustainability
- Promote effective corporate governance
- Professional development
- Strive for financial sustainability and transparency.
Description of TES Academic Structure and Curriculum
TES is a continuum IB school and offers PYP (Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 4), MYP (Grades 5 to 9) and DP (Grade 10 and 11). In Grade 9, students take the MYP Electronic Assessment (we were the first school in Latin America to offer this) and in Grade 11, students take the DP examinations.
Students also take the internationally accredited ACER/ISA exams in Grade 3, 5 and 8 and finally, the “ICFES - Prueba Saber 11.º” exam in Grade 11, which is a requisite for all Colombian students.
In terms of DP results, in 2021 101 out of 114 students were awarded the IB Diploma (89%). All 114 students were awarded the High School Diploma based on the National Curriculum.
In terms of the MYP Electronic Assessment results, 75/104 students (72%) were awarded the MYP e-Assessment certificate.
We also offer a variety of extracurricular activities including Model United Nations, School Robotics Team, Maths Olympics, Round Square, STEAM Team and talent shows in addition to School Sports including Basketball, Football, Gymnastics, Athletics, Volleyball, Dance and Table Tennis.
Faculty and Staff
We have 402 staff, which includes 271 academic staff and 131 administrative staff. There are 28 expat teachers.
Description of Student Cohort
The school has a community of more than 1,500 students, 90% of whom are Colombian nationals; the remaining 10% are from more than 30 different countries, with Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Mexico and India having the largest number of representatives.
The students range in age from 3 to 18 years old. There are approximately 50 in The English Nursery, 270 in Pre-School, 430 in Primary School, 540 in Middle School and 210 in Upper School.
Description of the School Facilities
The school has a total area of 66,000 m2 and has a constructed area of 26,000 m2, which includes Pre-School, Primary, Secondary School buildings, administration, cafeteria, libraries, auxiliary classrooms and the coliseum. The Primary and Secondary buildings are equipped with laboratories and a computer room. In the previous academic year, a new “The English Nursery” (TEN) campus and Secondary Design classrooms were built to provide state of the art facilities in these areas.
For recreation, we have an athletic track, five multiple courts, (for Basketball and Volleyball), a football field, as well as a food court and recreation parks distributed throughout the school.
Description of School Governance Structure
The governance at FEI is concerned with ensuring that the education activities of teaching, sports practice, extracurricular programmes and related activities within its institutions (TEN and TES) are reputable, of high quality and complies with institutional policy requirements. It works to deliver expected outcomes for students and constituencies, and that qualifications awarded meet the requirements of the Colombian System of Education.
The governance of FEI and its academic institutions is broader than the General Assembly, Board of Directors and Head of School with responsibility being also distributed amongst a variety of stakeholders. This includes the school’s governing bodies and groups such as standing committees and sub-committees, faculty governance committees, executive management structures, parents and students organisations required by law, including the Parents Council (PACTES), the TES Parents Association (TESPAS), the TES Alumni Association, the Students Council, the Academic Council and the Directive Council. The standing and ad-hoc committees of the Board of Directors as well as the mandatory organisations required by Colombian Law are intended to advise the Board of Directors and Head of School, and provide leadership in policy formulation and development of strategies within their terms of reference. The structure of the FEI governance enables communication and interaction between and within administrative and academic committees, the main constituencies of the institution and the Board of Directors.
Job description for the Position of Head of School and Rector
The role of Head of School and Rector is to direct, coordinate, guide and follow up the implementation of the Institutional Educational Project (PEI) along with the direction of all academic programmes of the educational institutions owned by the Fundación Educativa de Inglaterra including The English School (TES) and The English Nursery (TEN). The Head of School and Rector is responsible for all academic tasks and for the provision of high-quality education, pastoral care, well-being of the educational community, interaction with parents and the daily operation of these institutions. Likewise, he/she will be the main legal representative of the Foundation, as well as the representative of the educational institutions in his/her capacity as rector. This focuses on the national and local authorities that exercise inspection, surveillance and recommendations for the educational community and third parties.
- Candidates MUST be a citizen of a Commonwealth country.
- At least five (5) years of professional experience in a position of educational leadership or Head of School in IB accredited institutions.
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Credentialed as a school administrator.
- Possess ethical, moral and leadership qualities that allow him/her to direct and guide the educational institutions owned by the Foundation.
- Understanding, knowledge and appreciation of Colombian culture.
- Knowledge of international accreditation processes applicable to IB institutions, e.g., IB, CIS.
- A firm understanding of financial planning and management and business processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of recent educational developments.
- Experience in successfully leading change, including managing multiple simultaneous projects, ensuring the engagement and support of students, parents, colleagues, the Board of Directors and the wider community.
- Involvement in the evaluation, assessment, guidance, support and professional development of teaching staff.
- Bilingual in both English and Spanish.
- Master’s Degree or Doctorate (preferably in the field of Education or Leadership)
Desired Personal Characteristics:
- Highly visible and available to the community in the spirit of an “open door policy”.
- Ability to represent the school in international arenas and communicate tactfully and clearly with all stakeholders.
- Lead by example including the ability to promote intercultural understanding and international mindedness.
- Strong relationship building skills and proven ability to establish trust and credibility with all stakeholders.
- Consensus builder, capable of developing and promoting strong teams and shared strategic vision.
- Strong analytical skills and proven problem-solving skills and a desire to seek solutions in an optimistic “can-do” attitude.
- Effectively leads in an ever-changing internal and external environment and accepts challenges associated with ambiguity.
- Passionate about best practice in teaching and learning and readily applies data in reaching decisions.
Salary and Benefits
The salary and benefits are competitive and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Procedure and Deadline for Application
The English School Board of Directors has partnered with Search Associates to facilitate the search for a new Head of School/Rector. Mr. Paul Poore and Dr. Eric Sands are serving as the Senior Consultants.
Qualified candidates should send the information listed below as a single PDF File attached to an email as soon as possible, but no later than October 6, 2021:
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Head of School/Rector position at The English School.
- A statement describing your leadership and educational philosophy, not to exceed two pages.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages.
- Contacts (e-mail addresses and phone numbers) for at least three past and current supervisors. (We do not accept character references or non-confidential letters of reference from colleagues, friends, students, or parents).
Candidates should send all requested information directly to both Paul Poore (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Eric Sands (email@example.com) at Search Associates.
The deadline for the applications to be submitted is: October 6, 2021
We reserve the right to close the search earlier than the stated application deadline if a suitable and qualified candidate is found early in the process. Interested applicants should submit all required materials as early as possible.
Please note that we will not forward-on candidates for further consideration by the hiring school/organisation if a candidate is under contract or otherwise encumbered in such a way that would preclude them from freely entering into a new employment contract, if offered, and being available for the start date stipulated by the hiring organisation. Search Associates will contact the current employer/supervisor to request completion of a Search Associates Confidential Leadership Reference Form for all Applicants who emerge in the search as a Finalist.
Any additional information about The English School can be found on the school website at https://www.englishschool.edu.co/
TES Institutional Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye3vwE9BSMY
Bogota Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsrpymfZTrs
Colombia Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzy4umDtA88