< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Head of School
Reedley International School (Philippines)
Appointed - Ms. Rene MacQuillin
Dec 13, 2021
Jan 15, 2022
Dear Search Colleagues,
On behalf of the Board of Trustees and the Search Committee of Reedley International School (Pasig City [Metro Manila], Philippines), we are pleased to announce the appointment of Ms. René MacQuillin as Head of School beginning in July 2022.
Please find below a portion of the announcement shared by the Board of Trustees with the Reedley International School community:
"We have found in René an energetic and dynamic leader who can inspire and motivate our school community to constantly strive for excellence. René has been an experienced educator for 31 years, with the last 16 years as a Senior Manager in K to 12 schools in South Africa and most recently, in Myanmar. She joins us after serving as Principal at Yangon Academy International School in Myanmar.
René has a solid background and extensive experience in Educational Leadership. She holds a Bachelor of Education Honours in Educational Management from the Tshwane University of Technology and an Advanced Certificate in Education (ACE) for Principalship from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, both in South Africa. Her entire career has been devoted to the continuous improvement of the school she serves - enhancing student learning, implementing continuous training and development of the faculty and ensuring that all criteria for international accreditation are consistently met."
The Board of Trustees and the Search Committee of Reedley International School, along with Search Associates would like to thank all candidates who expressed interest in the Head of School position and to everyone who assisted and supported the search process to reach a successful conclusion.
REEDLEY INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
Pasig City (Manila), Philippines
Head of School
For the School Year
Closing Date for Applications: January 15, 2022
Starting Date: July 1, 2022
ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Reedley International School is an internationally-accredited KG-12 private school, offering the best practices of both progressive and traditional learning. Founded in 1999, RIS is a private, non-sectarian, co-educational, international day school, located in Ugong, Pasig City, on the eastern side of Metro Manila. The school, which is 20 minutes away from business districts of Bonifacio Global City, Ortigas and Makati City, is an 8-storey building with 10,000 sqm floor area designed for effective learning.
OUR CORE VALUES ARE:
OUR SCHOOL’S PURPOSE IS:
Reedley’s Mission/Vision is “We nurture globally competent and kind students in a happy and caring environment.”
Upon graduation, Reedley’s Ideal Reesian believes:
I am a student of Reedley International School, and at heart, I am kind and respectful towards others.
This means that I am friendly and considerate to all, listen and consider what other people say to me, act on the needs of others from all walks of life, embrace and celebrate diversity in the different origins and cultures of people, and am a good steward of the environment locally and globally.
In mind, I am academically prepared for lifelong learning.
This means that I can study in school and independently, can apply what I learn in real life situations, use my knowledge and skills to research global issues, understand the interdependence and interconnectedness of the world, and better myself by continuing to be inquisitive, curious and open to new things.
In spirit, I am proactive and a positive influence to others.
This means that I show leadership and cooperation, can do what is right even with no one watching, am responsible for my actions and will learn from my mistakes, will always see tasks through to completion even in the face of adversity, and thrive in collaboration and interdependence.
Therefore, as a Reesian, I will strive to make my school a better place to study and the world a better place to live in.
Reedley currently has 540 students from 12 different nationalities, with 21.3% of them holding foreign citizenship. Reedley has students from Asia: Japan, Indonesia, China, India, Korea, Pakistan, Taiwan, Iran; North America: United States of America; South America; Europe; the United Kingdom; and Oceania: Australia.
The Reedley curriculum is a 14-year curriculum which adopts the best approaches of three curricula—Singaporean, American, and Filipino. Facilitated by caring and passionate faculty, the curriculum is composed of a two-year theme-based program in Kindergarten and is followed by a ten-year basic education program from Grades 1 to 10. The curriculum ends with a two-year Senior High School program. Reedley is one of the select few schools in the Philippines that offer the Advanced Placement (AP) Program to students Grades 10 to 12.
With its dedication for being a student-centered school, Reedley is one of six schools in the Philippines accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Reedley continuously instills the value of academic excellence and good character development by providing a safe and nurturing environment where happy students can become successful lifelong learners.
Equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to gain an advantage for college and beyond, Reesian graduates attend top choice universities in the Philippines and abroad.
The governing body of Reedley is the Board of Trustees. It is headed by the President, and composed of the other owners of the school. The Board of Trustees are advised by the Reedley Advisory Council which is composed of educators, lawyers, and human resources practitioners. The Head of School, Marketing and Accounting, and Admissions all report directly the Chief Operating Officer of the Board of Trustees. The Head of School leads the team of administrators, faculty, and support staff in the management of the school’s academic programs and other aspects of school operations.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Head of School carries out the school objectives and the policies of the Board of Directors within the purview of existing laws, rules and regulations. He or she exercises educational leadership including execution of school policies, observance of regulations by all academic employees, administration, supervision of school programs and all other educational, social and recreational activities that uplift the community and the attainment of organizational goals. He or she carries out a definite program of progressive development in all significant aspects of school operations.
Key Responsibilities of the Head of School
Curriculum and Student Achievement
- Employ exceptional instructional leadership necessary for curriculum program planning, organization, and implementation
- Ensure excellence in the curriculum, that students are learning and are globally-minded, and that student achievement is monitored and improved
- Ensure that there is the best possible teacher in every classroom and the best possible leaders and staff in the school.
- Train other school leaders on best practices of international school administration; develop present and future leaders
- Execute and administer the policies, as set by the Board of Trustees.
- Ensure that there is a happy, kind, and family-like culture among students, faculty and staff
- Ensure that there is a safe, positive, productive, conducive and nurturing school environment for all the members of the school community
- Strictly observe, uphold and promote in speech and action the non-sectarian character of Reedley International School, by respecting all religious beliefs and traditions and encouraging inclusivity and mutual respect among its students and employees who come from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds
- Ensure that the school has a solid reputation as evidenced by student achievement data, continuous increases in enrollment, successful alumni, and meaningful projects.
- Have successfully held a top leadership post in an international school for at least 3 years
- Has a post-graduate degree in Education or equivalent
- Is well-versed and experienced with all aspects of school operations, including instructional leadership, curriculum development and assessment (MAP), teacher staffing, retention and training and facility management
- Can work harmoniously with all the school’s stakeholders -- the Board, other school leaders and employees, parents, students and other stakeholders within a multi-cultural environment.
Other Desired Qualifications
- Is a results-oriented leader, able to create systems to build on instructional capacity that leads to improved student outcomes; can implement the international external learning assessment systems for students (MAP)
- Is a connector and facilitator, approachable and able to build a strong school culture among students, parents, teachers and the community
- Is a life-long learner with a deep understanding of current best practices related to teaching and learning
- Is a person of character. The Head of School is expected to be an exemplary role model for students and all the members of the School community, both inside and outside the School. As such, his or her conduct and behavior in all aspects of his life, both professional and personal, be it inside or outside the School, should be beyond reproach
- Is abreast with technology and its applications for education and administrative efficiency
- Is an excellent communicator with a good track record of accomplishments of documented policies and programs on important aspects of school operations
The compensation package will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience and skills.
In the interest of identifying the best candidates for this position the RIS Board has partnered with Search Associates to assist in this process with Dr. George Entwistle and Dr. Norma Hudson serving as the Search consultants. The application deadline is January 15, 2022.
Candidates should email this information as a single PDF attachment to Dr. Norma Hudson firstname.lastname@example.org.
A candidate’s application portfolio must include:
- A two-page cover letter of application featuring one’s educational philosophy, strengths, and leadership style and why one is interested in applying for the Head of School position at Reedley International School
- An updated résumé, not to exceed 2 pages
- A one-page list of references with the business, phone numbers and email addresses of at least three school administrators or Board members who have supervised the candidate
- Three letters of reference (if available)
- A statement that one is willing to undergo rigorous child protection screening, including checks with past employers and disclosure checks not listed in the list of references.
The Board and Search Associates reserve the right to close the selection process prior to the deadline if the right candidate is found.
For more information about Reedley International School, please check out the school’s website at