< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Dec 9, 2015
Saipan International School, Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands
(Commonwealth of the U.S.A.)
Seeks New Headmaster
Effective July 1, 2016
Mission and Philosophy
Saipan International School (SIS) is a private, non-profit organization that offers instruction in preschool through twelfth grade. Instruction is theme oriented and based on national standards and benchmarks from the United States. SIS is fully accredited through the year 2017 by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) from K5 through 12th grade. The school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students.
The mission of SIS is to help each child reach his or her full potential by providing a positive environment that fosters academic, emotional, and social growth. This environment is created when trust, respect, and acceptance are values shared by students, parents, and school staff.
Students explore multiculturalism both in theory and practice. Our students originate from locations around the world, including the Pacific Islands, Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, North America, and South America. Daily interactions gives knowledge that leads to a deeper appreciation and respect for all people.
SIS opened in 1994 with 45 elementary students after a group of parents identified a need for a quality educational program that would foster academic, emotional and social growth. A four year college preparatory high school was later added. Presently, SIS enrollment is approximately 200 students from K4-12th grade.
Saipan is the most populated island in the Northern Marianas archipelago, with approximately 50,000 inhabitants.
Saipan is a commonwealth of the United States. We use U.S. currency, are part of the U.S. postal service, and follow U.S. federal laws. English is the most widely spoken language but the indigenous languages are Carolinian and Chamorro. In addition we have many residents from other countries living on Saipan so Tagalog, Mandarin, Russian, Korean, and several other languages are spoken.
Since Saipan is a tropical island the weather is similar all year. We do have more rain from July to November but the daily low temperature is always in the 70s F and the high temperature is always in the 80s F.
Saipan is easily accessible from many areas of Asia and Oceania. Direct flights are available from Tokyo (Narita), Osaka (seasonally), Seoul (Incheon), Busan, Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Wuhan, Guangzhou, Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, and Guam.
Salary and Benefits
The salary is competitive with other schools in the region. The salary is negotiable commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes full comprehensive medical insurance, assistance with relocation costs, flight costs to Saipan for the family, use of school vehicle, free tuition for dependent children and annual professional development and annual flexible benefits.
- A Master’s or Doctorate degree in Educational Administration
- Experience working with accreditation requirements (WASC)
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills to work with all stakeholders
- Experience with creating and following a budget
- Proven record of outstanding leadership in a PreK-Grade12 school
- Committed to carrying out the school’s Mission
- An inclusive leader able to build teamwork
- Committed to the professional development of the faculty
- A visionary academic leader familiar with new trends and best practice
- Be deeply and meaningfully involved in the life of the school
- Engaging public speaker and advocate of the school in the community
- Inspirational and persuasive
- Sound decision maker
- Open minded and resilient, energetic, and persevering with strong work ethic
- Committed to teacher supervision and support
- Sound administrative skills, including effective delegation
- Good working relationship with the Board of Directors
- Good working relationship with staff, faculty, and students
The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that, in the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, SIS reserves the right to make an immediate appointment. For this reason we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should send all the information requested below as a single email with an attachment(s) to Mr. Villagomez: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Headmaster position at Saipan International School.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages.
- A one to two page statement outlining educational philosophy and leadership style.
- At least one letter of reference from the current Chair and Treasurer of the current Board of Directors at your school, and/or former board members.
- A maximum of three letters of reference (scanned at low resolution) that may already be in your possession.
- Submission of your application is an acknowledgement that the school may contact references both listed and not listed who would know your professional background.
Finalist candidates will be identified by the Headmaster Search Committee and will be interviewed, most likely by Skype or some other form of face time media as appropriate. The new Headmaster will be selected soon after the conclusion of the interviews.
Saipan International School shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, nationality, or ethnic origin in the administration of the school’s educational policies, privileges, admission policies, athletic programs, and other school administered programs made available at Saipan International School.
For more information, please visit our School’s Website at: http://www.sissaipan.com
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.