< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Nov 10, 15
High School Principal 2016-17
Effective August 2016
The American Community School at Beirut is initiating a search for a new High School Principal. We are a 110-year-old nonprofit school of 1100 students in the most livable and dynamic city in the Middle East. We enroll approximately 300 students in our high school and they can take the IB, the Lebanese Baccalaureate, or an honors level American high school program. Located one block from the Mediterranean Sea, we enjoy sunshine most days of the year, exceptional medical care, excellent food and restaurants, and a lively arts and cultural scene. English is widely spoken in Lebanon so adjusting to the life of the city is relatively easy when compared to many places.
We provide competitive salaries, a nice apartment within walking distance of school, and the principal will be a member of an excellent administrative team. What follows are the details of our high school program:
- Our student surveys reveal that there are strong, positive student-teacher relationships
- Experienced IB DP staff with many examiners and workshop leaders
- 100% pass rate for IB DP and LB last year—as well as 100% university admission/attendance
- More students seeking the full diploma and all students take at least 4 IB DP classes (non LB that is)
- Experienced IB DP and LB coordinators, three guidance counselors, veteran department chairs/curriculum facilitators, a technology integrationist, and an assistant/associate principal
- The majority of the HS faculty is Lebanese with advanced degrees and many years of classroom experience.
- Healthy Professional Development budget to dedicate to the HS as a group, and for the Principal as well.
- New appraisal system focused on the interaction/impact between teacher and students
- An opportunity to focus on the “big picture” of schooling not get bogged down in the day-to-day operational/management side
- Healthy balance between strong academics, athletics, and arts
- A growing week without walls program and a strong, established community service component
- We have an established BYOD program and the school uses Moodle and Hapara to support our instructional program
Refocus/rededication to the instructional program
- Revised graduation requirements were developed to enhance our instructional program and to make our students more appealing to selective universities.
- Support for the IB Diploma Program’s “Approaches to Teaching and Learning” throughout all grade levels in the HS—our 9th and 10th grade units of instruction are introducing the rigor and assessment criteria to all students.
- Starting to incorporate the tenets of Hattie’s Visible Learning research. We have had several in-services led by the Visible Learning Plus group to help each teacher develop an Impact Plan. These plans encourage teachers to examine the ways their students are learning how to learn and what impact they have on student learning. Our goal is for each teacher to continuously evaluate the effect they have on their students—with a strong focus on planning and implementing changes to maximize their impact.
We seek a candidate who will support our initiatives, who really enjoys working with teachers and students, who listens and communicates well, and who can inspire us to even greater heights. The HS faculty hope that the new Principal will recognize their knowledge and expertise, empower and support them.
If interested in learning more about ACS, please go to www.acs.edu.lb for more information and a detailed job description.
Applicants please directly contact Hamilton Clark, Head of School: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.