< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Peter Vaughn
Oct 21, 2016
Nov 18, 2016
I’m pleased to announce that Hayah International Academy in Cairo has chosen Peter Vaughn to be the school’s new Head of High School, to take over from Keith Ord in summer 2017.
A graduate in History with Master’s degrees in American Studies and in Education, Peter started his teaching career in public schools in Portland, Oregon. He then taught at Bonn International School between 2013 and 2016, and since August 2016 has been High School Dean of Students at Hayah. As the internal candidate he came out as the winner in the final round of interviews, competing with two strong external candidates.
HAYAH INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY
New Cairo, Egypt
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
Start date: August 2017
Application deadline: 18 November 2016
A. THE SCHOOL
Hayah International Academy is committed to delivering to society distinguished adults who honor their cultural identity, maintain personal growth and strive for academic excellence; qualities enabling them to live with purpose, fulfill their mission in life and make a difference in a challenging global environment.
Hayah International Academy is a non-for-profit distinguished entity founded in 2003 on the belief that every child is creative, special, and capable of achieving outstanding results if provided with the proper support. Hayah has grown exponentially, to the point where it now serves a body of 1235 mostly Egyptian students from Preschool to Grade 12. The school graduated its first cohort in 2011. The total number of high school students now is 245. Hayah is accredited by AdvancED and authorized to offer the IB Diploma. Authorization and accreditation are valid through 2020. The school is also applying for the PYP program to be implemented within two years.
The school is a member of the Near East/South Asia Council of International schools (NESA). Hayah provides a wide selection of educational programs and extra-curricular activities aiming to generate well rounded students and promoting social, academic and physical development. Hayah offers high school students a comprehensive curriculum, preparing them for higher education through its combination of standard-based American curriculum and Pre-IB eclectic sources as needed to enrich the educational outcomes. The academic standards used to develop curricular programs are American and internationally based, they include the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program.
The school campus is located on a land lot of 55,000 square meters. The unique design of Hayah’s building was developed by award-winning architects and aims to reflect the school’s educational goals of setting the highest standards in both learning and character, and offering “the best of two worlds” – the quality of its international educational programs enhanced and enriched by exceptional Arabic and an emphasis on the students’ cultural identity, drawing on the rich history and culture of Egypt. Hayah supports its mission through a Character Education program offered from PS to G12. The program is grounded on the Hayah core values of Respect, Tolerance, Trustworthiness, Responsibility, Perseverance, Cooperation and Gratitude. Hayah also adopts the IB learner profile as a base for developing a balanced student.
B. THE PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PRINCIPAL
The Principal is the academic and administrative leader of the High School. The Principal works with the administrative team, teachers, parents and students of Hayah International Academy to ensure and maintain its growth as a world-class school while preserving its mission statement and core values.
The Principal is expected to have a track record of proven success as a school administrator.The Principal has to focus constantly on ways of improving teaching and learning, including effective professional development of all staff and making optimum use of educational technology. The Principal leads staff from both the International Baccalaureate program and the American Diploma program. Among the IB staff are 26 IB examiners mostly with a Master’s degree in their subject field. The Principal has to demonstrate best practices in instruction and data analysis with clear strategies for improvement, as well as developing individual students through promoting rich opportunities for learning both within and outside the classroom. He or she needs to have consistently high expectations in planning strategically and supporting all school educational programs.
Specific expectations and duties of the High School Principal include the following:
- Effectively communicates a compelling vision for the school and inspires staff to implement that vision.
- Articulates the school’s mission and values to stakeholders and solicits support in accomplishing the mission.
- Is committed to meeting the needs of students and teachers and effectively responds to their concerns.
- Engages the staff in identifying goals and objectives to improve the school.
- Provides training to ensure that staff members understand their responsibilities in accomplishing the goals and objectives.
- Participates in and leads decision-making processes that create a stronger school and contribute to the organizational effectiveness of the K-12 school.
- Directs and assigns work for school personnel.
- Consistently seeks best practices to strengthen and balance the American Diploma and the IB program.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as delegated by the Head of School.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Ensures effective, mentoring and coaching of staff.
- Sets high academic expectations and promotes effective teaching strategies.
- Advocates for learning for all students; develops systems and programs that support students who are underperforming and those with special needs.
- Monitors the implementation of curriculum and facilitates curriculum articulation and review.
- Guides the instructional program to achieve clearly defined goals.
- Provides appropriate supervision and evaluation of curriculum and programs.
- Effectively closes the gap between current student performance and desired student performance.
- Ensures technology integration in the classrooms.
- Works closely with the Director of Curriculum, Assessment and Staff Development to achieve the defined goals.
- Constantly explores best practices to apply to the High School program.
- Leads assessment initiatives in the assigned grade levels.
- Monitors and responds to student performance results.
- Holds teachers and self-accountable for student academic performance.
- Maintains a system for monitoring and responding to assessment results.
- Leads and helps to create a climate in which students and adults feel safe, respected, and cared for.
- Creates a positive and supportive team environment with open communication.
• Assists teachers, students and parents in addressing concerns in positive, non- confrontational ways.
- Regularly monitors school climate through surveys and feedback.
- Works well with others in collaborative work.
- Actively leads as needed, supervises and participates in school wide extra-curricular activities and events.
Supervision and evaluation
- Provides supervision, evaluation and coaching for teachers as assigned; conducts annual performance appraisals and recommends changes in employment status.
- Provides leadership and guidance to the departments and grade levels specifically assigned.
- Manages student discipline in a fair, equitable, and respectful manner.
- Exercises sound judgment in personnel decisions; makes personnel decisions that strengthen the school.
- Assumes responsibility for sound financial management including accurate program budget planning and fiscal accountability.
- Has systematic ways to identify staff development needs and responds effectively to those needs.
- Contributes to staff growth and development.
- Assists and follows up with teachers and other staff members in setting goals for personal and professional growth; helps them reach their staff development goals.
- Anticipates concerns; is proactive and de-escalates problems.
- Responds to problems in a timely and effective manner.
- Maintains appropriate records.
- Administers budgets and conserves resources and expenditures.
- Ensures safe and proactive operations, including management of schedules, logistics, and communication.
Recruitment and Orientation
- Plans, recruits and selects teachers and staff who have the necessary qualities, experience, and credentials to strengthen the school.
- Provides on-going orientation to new staff.
C. THE PERSON SPECIFICATIONS
- strong leadership qualities
- strong management, communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- strong analytical, problem-solving, decision-making and planning skills
- mission driven – to ensure the vision of Hayah International Academy is achieved
- positive outlook – in all respects a good role model who will lead by example
- empathy – the ability to form open, friendly relationships of mutual trust with students, staff and parents
- good team player and a good team builder
- tolerance, including a high level of cultural sensitivity and the ability to treat all staff equitably regardless of nationality or background
- healthy lifestyle
And also the following qualifications:
- a postgraduate degree in an education-related field
- at least four years’ successful experience as an administrator in an IB school
- knowledge of the American Diploma, preferably in an international school
An attractive salary and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate. Details will be given to those candidates short-listed for interview.
E. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Interested candidates should send their application to David Cope of SEARCH ASSOCIATES as soon as possible and absolutely no later than Friday 18 November 2016.
Candidates should send only the information requested below.
- A letter of application, no longer than one page, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are attracted by this particular position
- A current CV/résumé, no longer than two pages
- A one-page statement briefly outlining your educational beliefs and leadership style
- A one-page list of referees with their current phone numbers and email addresses
- A good-quality, recent head-and-shoulders photo
Please note that all the above materials must be sent together as one SINGLE PDF ATTACHMENT by email to David Cope of SEARCH ASSOCIATES at this address:
Closing date for applications: Friday 18 November 2016
Please note that, if an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, Hayah reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline mentioned above and to bring the search to an early close. It is therefore important that interested candidates apply at the earliest possible time.