< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Math Coach and Assessment Coordinator
The International School of Panama (Panama)
Appointed - Marina MacDonald
Dec 21, 2015
Feb 29, 2016
International School of Panama
Math Coach and Assessment Coordinator
Starting July 2016
The International School of Panama (ISP) seeks an educational administrator with outstanding communication skills, extensive understanding of mathematics best practice, and data analysis expertise. This position will support K-8 teachers through mathematics instructional coaching, support the development and refinement of math curriculum across the school (K-12), and work with the Office of Teaching and Learning to support data driven decision-making. The successful candidate will have classroom teaching experience, experience as an instructional leader or coordinator, and experience with managing and mining student learning data.
Panama is a rugged and mountainous country located on the narrow isthmus linking North and South America. It is in the tropical region just north of the equator and has two seasons, wet and dry. Panama’s population is approximately 3.4 million.
Panama City, with a population of 1.5 million, is situated on the Pacific coast and has become a hub in the Central American region; it is a multinational, modern metropolis with all the benefits and dynamism of a large population center, and is known as a safe and easy place to live and work. Excellent medical care is available as are fine dining, modern apartments, and low cost shopping. Good roads provide easy links to tourist areas. Divers and surfers have excellent opportunities to explore the waters off Panama, the beaches along the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean. National parks offer pristine nature and wildlife, and a variety of hiking options. The Panama Canal is a signature attraction as one of the greatest engineering feats of modern times.
In 1982, the founders of the International School set upon a bold vision of building a leading academic institution in Panama. Shortly thereafter they purchased property in anticipation of what ISP might become. ISP is a private, independent, non-profit, day school providing an English language education and has become the school of choice for the children of multinational executives, diplomats and the international community in general. The school operates under a license granted by the Ministry of Education of Panama, is accredited by AdvancED and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), and is a member of the International Baccalaureate Organization, offering the IB Diploma Program in grades 11 and 12. The school has recently undergone rapid growth, its student population increasing about 65% during the past seven years. During this period, an extensive expansion and modernization of the facilities has been undertaken which is now completed.
Today, we educate over 1200 students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12 from 50 different countries on a comprehensive campus complete with academic, athletic, and performing arts facilities. Our alumni and students continue to demonstrate strong academic achievement and pursue post-secondary education around the world.
The International School of Panama is a vibrant institution with a record of academic excellence and commitment to continuous improvement. A new ambitious strategic plan was adopted last year that will guide ISP through 2020. Additionally, ISP staff have access to significant professional development resources and internal leadership opportunities. In recent years, internal candidates have successfully procured several key senior leadership positions. As an example, in SY 2016-2017 the positions of Director of Teaching&Learning, Athletics Director and all divisional principalships will be held by internal promotees.
We will educate and inspire our students to reach their full potential and contribute to the world by providing an exemplary English language education enriched by our multicultural community.
This is an entry-level administrative position that works in partnership with our administrative team and classroom teachers at all three divisions. Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
K-8 Math Coach
- Provide targeted support to staff new to ISP or their role to insure fidelity of math instruction
- Regularly observe math instruction and identify areas of strength and opportunity
- Support individual teachers and teams to ensure fidelity of math instruction through lesson observation, lesson debrief, and lesson modeling
- Develop, facilitate, and coordinate Professional Development for staff on best practices in mathematics instruction
Math Curriculum Leadership
- Liaise with office of teaching and learning staff (curriculum and STEM coordinators) and division administrative teams to support the development and refinement of the math curriculum and instruction K-12
- Initiate extra-curricular activities that foster mathematical problem solving
- Support the integration of mathematics into STEM and engineering design courses
- Oversee and manage some aspects of MAP, SAT, and ACT test administration
- Manage assessment data and data dashboards on behalf of ISP
- Support and guide the senior leadership team and division administrative teams in data analysis and review
- Support data teams in the use of student learning data to inform classroom instruction
- Work collaboratively with a diffuse team of administrators, teachers, and support staff
- Serve on various school and divisional committees
- Engage in systems thinking and problem solving with the Office of Teaching and Learning staff
- Support the Director of Teaching and Learning with the collection, organization, and presentation of data connected to strategic planning, school improvement, and academic programs
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in the field of education, preferably including a combination of teaching and administrative experiences
- Demonstrated expertise as a master teacher for mathematics and throughout elementary grades
- Understanding of advanced high school mathematics and statistical modeling
- Direct experience with instructional coaching for mathematics, mathematics curriculum development, and data base management.
- Direct experience with several of the following assessments: NWEA MAP, IBDP, SAT, and ACT.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and relationships
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity
- Ability to provide and receive constructive criticism
Salary and Benefits
The overall compensation will be competitive and structured to attract the best talent.
Candidates should submit the following:
- Brief letter of application stating reason for interest in the position
- A current CV/ resume not to exceed two pages
- A list of professional references
- One page statement outlining personal philosophy and experience in STEM
February 29th is the deadline for applications however ISP reserves the right to appoint someone to the position before the before the application deadline. Applications will be screened as they arrive so it is very important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.
Candidates wishing to learn more about the International School of Panama may visit www.isp.edu.pa
Applications should be sent in a single PDF attachment with the position on the subject line to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.