< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Middle/High School Principal
Colegio Jorge Washington (Colombia)
Appointed - Dr. Hugh Schoolman
Apr 14, 16
May 15, 16
Colegio Jorge Washington
Seeks: Middle / High School Principal
For July 2016
Colegio Jorge Washington is a private, non-profit, co-educational, N-12 school offering the best of a dual American/Colombian based system since 1952. We bring together motivated students, dedicated staff, and committed parents to fulfill our mission and provide a quality college-preparatory program. Continuous improvement efforts are promoted through high standards driven by our accreditation with AdvancED and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) as well as the Colombian Ministry of Education. Our American-style program is supported through our designation as one of two official U.S. State Department overseas schools in Colombia. A nine member Board of Directors elected to 3-year terms by the Parents Association governs the School. Current school-wide enrollment is just over 760 students representing an array of nationalities.
Facilities: Our modern purpose-built 20 hectare campus was completed in 2009. It is located just 25 minutes from the heart of the city and contains three independent, self-contained wings for Elementary, Middle School and High School. Facilities include three science laboratories; multiple music, art and drama rooms; a central two-story library; two AV rooms; three computer labs; and a learning center for children with mild learning difficulties. Sports facilities include four outdoor multi-use courts; two full-sized soccer fields; one softball diamond; and an air-conditioned coliseum that serves both our sports and fine arts programs. Our separate Montessori preschool facility for 2-5 year olds is located in the city within close proximity to residential neighborhoods.
Cartagena: Cartagena is located in northern Colombia on the Caribbean Coast and is the fifth-largest city of the country. With its cobblestone streets, historic architecture and vibrant markets, the city’s charm makes this seaport a popular choice for cruise ships and foreign visitors. Founded in 1533 by Spanish explorers, Cartagena is rich in history and was once popular amongst pirates and plunderers because of its key role in administration and expansion of the Spanish empire during the Colonial period. It was a center of political and economic activity due to the presence of royalty and wealthy viceroys. Today, beautifully refurbished colonial mansions and fortresses have been transformed into shops, museums, and sumptuous dining experiences that allude to the city's storied past. In 1984 Cartagena's colonial walled city and old world-style plazas were designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Surrounded by winding waterways and the crystalline Caribbean Sea, Cartagena also offers a variety of exhilarating activities. Here, you can sail, surf, swim, scuba dive, or simply sunbathe on the city's beautiful beaches.
The Position: The Middle / High School Principal is responsible for providing sound educational leadership and ensuring that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations by establishing a culture of accountability with high expectations. The effective development, delivery, and evaluation of the school’s educational programs requires the Principal to analyze student needs and ensure that changes are aligned with the school’s strategic vision, mission, and core values. The Middle / High School Principal is a member of the Senior Administrative team, which includes the Head of School, 3 Principals, Curriculum Coordinator, and Business Manager.
The Middle / High school enrollment is 335 students in grades 6 through 12. Our graduation rate is 100% and students go on to colleges and universities in the United States, Colombia, and Europe. The curriculum is that of a U.S. college-preparatory school. Instruction is in English and Spanish. A dual program prepares students for both the U.S. high school diploma and the Colombian Bachillerato degree. The faculty consists of 32 Teachers, 2 Counselors, a Values Coordinator, and 2 Administrative Assistants. Our school year comprises 2 semesters extending from early August until mid-December and from mid-January to mid-June.
The Middle / High School Principal will be responsible for the following areas under the supervision of the Head of School:
- Work collaboratively with staff and administration to facilitate improvement in curriculum, instruction and assessment
- Promote data analysis and use of data for decision making about instruction and assessment
- Facilitate the development of a school climate that appropriately meets the academic, social and emotional needs of middle and high school students
- Provide meaningful professional growth programs for faculty and staff, ensuring that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations and establishing a culture of intellectual curiosity, accountability and high expectations
- Assume responsibility for budget management and allocations for the middle and high school including accurate program budget planning and fiscal accountability
- Aid in implementation and evaluation of professional development opportunities
- Communicate regularly with students and parents regarding curriculum, instruction, divisional procedures and special events, and engage in outreach so as to increase parent involvement and participation
- Maintain, evaluate and improve operating systems and processes
- Ensure enforcement of policies and regulations related to student attendance, welfare, and conduct
- Set divisional and professional goals, institute processes for departmental and staff goal setting, and monitor progress towards achievement
- Be present and visible in classrooms, at events and activities
- Ensure appropriate balance, rigor and support for academics, arts, activities, athletics and service learning programs
- Perform other administrative duties as necessary
- Relevant graduate degree
- Demonstrated knowledge and strong experience in technology and its integration with the school program
- Exceptional interpersonal, leadership and written communication skills
- A deep understanding of middle and high school students and their diverse needs
- Experience in international schools
- Previous experience in Latin America
- Bilingual (English / Spanish)
- Principal’s training supported by a national or internationally recognized system of certification
- Minimum of eight years teaching experience, with at least three in an administrative role (i.e.: Principal, Vice Principal, Department Head, etc.)
- Experience with AP and on-line learning programs
- Experience with AdvancED / SACS school accreditation (self-study leadership and/or visiting team member)
Salary and Benefits: The salary will be competitive and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include:
- Salary in USD and Colombian Pesos
- Housing allowance
- Professional development
- Health insurance
- Annual home leave
- Vehicle allowance and interest free loan for purchase
- Life insurance
- Tuition benefits for K-12 school age dependents
- Shipping allowance
- Retirement contribution
Procedure for Filing Application: The deadline for applications for the position is May 15th, 2016. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of application explaining what demonstrated strengths they bring to the position and reason for applying, current resume (not to exceed two pages), and list of three references with current addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.
Contact: If interested, please contact Dr. Steve Desroches, Head of School as early as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org. Colegio Jorge Washington reserves the right to make a decision and offer a contract to a candidate at any point during the search process.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.