< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Application deadline passed
Apr 25, 2016
May 10, 2016
Middle School Principal
Position to begin for the 2017-2018 school year
The American School of Dubai (ASD) is a college-preparatory, Pre-K through grade 12, independent, not for profit American curriculum school, offering what is best about American education to provide learning experiences designed to promote the maximum potential of its students.
Our Mission Statement
We challenge and inspire each student to achieve their dreams and to become a passionate learner prepared to adapt and contribute in a rapidly changing world.
ASD is located in a residential area within Dubai, the global business and cultural hub of the United Arab Emirates. The ASD campus is a 23 acre, million square foot, wireless, state-of-the-art facility. The campus includes spaces designed to promote phenomenal learning experiences, to include; 100 classrooms, two libraries, four science and four technology labs, five art studios, a number of multi- purpose rooms, a 670-seat performing arts theatre, a middle and high school black-box studios, purpose built band and choral classrooms with accompany practice rooms, middle and high school black-box studios, a student broadcasting studio, a multi-faceted, field-house, indoor and outdoor running tracks, a climbing wall, regulation soccer fields, additional playing fields and play areas, a dance studio, fitness center, two 25-meter swimming pools, six tennis courts and two cafeterias. ASD is known for its inviting and welcoming learning environment.
The American School of Dubai is seeking a dynamic and passionate educator for the role of Middle School Principal. The person appointed to the position will be expected to provide academic and administrative leadership to the Middle School learning community. The ideal candidate will be a caring and thoughtful individual with demonstrated competency as an inspirational pedagogical leader with strong organizational and management skills. The Middle School Principal will successfully guide the Middle School in providing what is best about American education in order to create learning experiences designed to promote the potential of each our students. The successful candidate will support the school’s mission and core values with a proven track record of success and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
The Middle School Principal reports to the Superintendent and will serve as a member of the ASD Core Cabinet Team.
The primary areas of responsibility of the Middle School Principal include:
- Provide leadership to the successful implementation of the School’s Strategic Plan.
- Instill a sense of common purpose and shared commitment to the achievement of goals created through shared decision-making processes.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, faculty, colleagues and the community through a variety of communication methods.
- Ensure that all of the School’s resources are used to serve students and faculty members alike in order to help both to reach their full learning potential.
- Demonstrate the capacity to successfully recruit and retain excellent faculty and staff.
- Assume the responsibility for sound financial management including accurate program budget planning and on-going accountability.
- Assume responsibility for the logistics associated with effectively operating the Middle School to include activities such as building a master class schedule, coordinating program implementation in concert with the Office of Learning etc.
- Participate actively and willingly in committee work specific to program development and decision-making.
- Conduct careful reviews of student admission applications in accordance with policies established by the School.
- Implement Board of Trustee policies and other relevant school policies and procedures and comply with these policies and accompanying administrative regulations.
- Seek the involvement of faculty and parents in a wide variety of school activities and actively promote and support the parent volunteer program.
- Model the importance and necessity in attending after school student activity programs and parent events.
- Serve as a contributing member of the school’s senior leadership team (Cabinet).
- Represent the school at regional professional association meetings, relative to the role of the Middle School Principal as needed/requested.
- Perform other activities as might be required for the general welfare of the School and/or as requested by the Superintendent.
- Model for, challenge and assist our students to become intellectually adept, thoughtful and ethical contributors to a global society.
- Implement educational policies and objectives that offer what is best about American education in order to provide an educational experience designed to promote the maximum potential of each student.
- Ensure that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations.
- Assist faculty and staff towards reaching their full potential through performance assessment and mentoring.
- Demonstrate role-model traits that enable others to recognize the Principal as the leader of the Middle School.
- Develop the leadership capabilities of teachers so that instructional leadership becomes a shared responsibility.
- Gather validating information that helps determine whether curriculum and instructional goals and student performance outcomes are being successful achieved and provide leadership to the process of further improvement of programs across the middle school..
- Create an efficient, productive and caring building atmosphere where all students (and staff) have opportunities to be recognized for their best efforts.
- Have a personal commitment to seek constant professional learning and professional growth; to also be a life-long learner.
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Student-centered decision-maker
- Understands and appreciates the importance of diversity
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrates integrity in all aspects of life
- Gives evidence of excellent listening skills
- Capable of making and communicating decisions
- Develops and sustains trust amongst all constituents
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent collaborator
- Sense of humor
- Current North American teacher and principal certification
- Master's Degree (administration preferred)
- Five or more years of previous successful teaching and administrative experience in an American curriculum school
- Demonstrated record of successful leadership, excellent organization and management skills
- Commitment to sustaining a North American school ethos and curriculum
- Experience with a Middle School Advisory Program Model
- Five or more years of successful Administrative experience in an international setting
- Knowledge and experience with curriculum development, financial management and community relations
- Capacity to apply data to further support and improve student learning
- Models and supports a digital learning environment
- Knowledge and experience with strategic planning
- Previous experience with school accreditation protocols
- Demonstrated success with the recruitment, development and retention of an faculty staff
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is highly competitive and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include housing, health insurance, life insurance, home leave, shipping-in and shipping-out allowances, retirement contributions and on-going professional development opportunities.
Interested candidates are required to apply through the ASD website – www.asdubai.org, working at ASD, Faculty and Leadership. This position is to start the 2017-2018 school year.
Application deadline: May 10, 2016
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.