< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 21, 2023
Sep 14, 2023
The American International School of Lusaka (AISL)
To begin August 2024
The American International School of Lusaka (AISL) is a diverse community that embraces Zambian and global perspectives to inspire students to achieve academic excellence and become successful, lifeworthy learners and leaders who are confident, compassionate, well-rounded, and responsible world citizens.
We are an IB World school of 450+ learners of which 200+ are in the Primary School. The Primary School encompasses our Early Learning Center (ELC) to Grade 5, with two sections per grade. We are represented by 40+ nationalities. Established in 1986 under the auspices of the American Embassy, we are situated on a beautiful 25+ acre campus, with world -class facilities, on the outskirts of Lusaka. The climate enables outdoor learning all year round and our learners are able to experience nature and be a part of solving issues that connect to the world in which they live. As part of our inquiry-based approach, there is a significant focus on integrated technology as we see the importance of STEAM as a crucial foundation for preparing learners for today’s and tomorrow’s world.
This is a unique opportunity to become our Primary Principal, at a time when we have a strategic vision with an overarching impact goal: The AISL Community is Thriving because we are innovative, inclusive and imaginative. You will be joining a strong, energetic and collaborative leadership team in guiding our school towards the achievement of our Mission: Every Student Thrives. We believe that we must always put learning at the heart of our work and look at everything through this lens for all stakeholders in the school, with student learning always coming first.
The Primary Principal, seen at AISL as a Learning Leader, leads all aspects of learning and teaching, and manages the resources required to achieve our learning goals. The practical tasks associated with the role are described here.
What are we driven by?
Our work as Learning Leaders at AISL is framed by the following beliefs:
- Schools are about learning for everyone. Our shared moral purpose is to improve the quality of learning and life at AISL.
- Leadership is about relationship building. We reach across traditional boundaries to listen and talk to people in all parts of our school ecosystem, building community commitment through collaboration.
- Great schools are rooted in diversity. We utilize our strengths together and we build from those.
- Great schools are always evolving. We use inquiry, not only in the classroom, but also to guide us as we lead the change process at our school.
- Patterns of practice emerge in schools. We recognize these and that we need to, transfer and build on those that work best. At the same time we need to disrupt and replace those that drain our resources without improving learning.
Where do we work?
AISL and Zambia provide a unique learning environment by being situated on a spacious, attractive campus on the outskirts of Lusaka.
When will this work take place?
We are looking for a commitment of at least 3-5 years, commencing August 2024.
Who will fill this role?
Clearly this is an opportunity for a well-qualified, experienced individual who is passionate about leading in a collaborative environment rooted in inquiry-based practice. It is ideal for someone familiar with the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) philosophy, practices and standards.
What is it like to live in Zambia?
Lusaka is a great place for families and children to grow up. There are ample outdoor recreational activities, including mountain biking, horse riding, polo, and golf.
This comparative cost of living tool may be used to compare the cost of living in Lusaka to where you are currently living.
How will I be compensated?
AISL offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the position.
What do I need to do now?
AISL has selected Search Associates to assist them in the Primary School Principal search, with Caroline Jacoby as the Lead Consultant. The deadline for applications is Thursday 14th September 2023. 6:00p.m. GMT. Applications should be sent to: Caroline Jacoby at email@example.com
Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the required materials as early as possible as AISL reserves the right to close the selection process AT ANY TIME if the right candidate is found. The review of applications begins as applications are received.
Please note that Search Associates will not forward-on candidates for further consideration by the hiring school/organization if a candidate is under contract or otherwise encumbered in such a way that would preclude them from freely entering into a new employment contract, if offered, and being available for the start date stipulated by the hiring organization. Search Associates will contact the current employer/supervisor to request completion of a Search Associates Confidential Leadership Reference Form for all Applicants who emerge in the search as a Finalist.
Candidates should send the information listed below in a single PDF file (not to exceed (4) MB) attached to an email:
- A letter of application describing your interest in the Primary School Principal position at AISL, highlighting your strengths as a candidate and how your qualifications and experience align with the position profile and the school’s areas of focus.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages.
- A one (1) page list of four (4) referees who have been your direct supervisors, with current email addresses.
- A statement describing your leadership and educational philosophy, not to exceed two pages.
Additional information about our wonderful school can be found on the school’s website at www.aislusaka.org.