< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Peter Round
Jun 19, 16
Sep 30, 16
KHARTOUM INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY SCHOOL
Search for new PRINCIPAL (HEAD OF SCHOOL)
For August 2017
The Board of Governors of Khartoum International Community School, Sudan, is seeking a new Principal (Head of School), to start in August 2017. In May 2017, after twelve highly successful years, the school's founding
The Board is looking for an accomplished and dynamic educational leader to take the school forward into the next stage of its development and to continue the implementation of the Board's 21st century vision.
Khartoum International Community School is a prestigious not-for-profit international school serving the needs of the international community of Khartoum as well as the internationally minded members of the local community. KICS is considered to be the international school of choice in the Sudan, and has rapidly established itself as an institution that values academic achievement, whilst ensuring balance and breadth of opportunities, with a concerted emphasis on sports, the arts and Service Learning alongside very active extra-curricular and outdoor education programmes.
KICS is proud to be the first IB World School in the Sudan having achieved PYP and IB Diploma authorization in 2007. The school is fully accredited by the Council of International Schools. In addition, the school is a committed and active member of the Association of International Schools in Africa, connecting and collaborating with other schools across the continent.
The student body from Nursery (Pre-K) toYear 13 (Grade 12) of around 400 consists of approximately 50% Sudanese students, many having returned from abroad attracted by the nation's development and the availability of a high quality international education. The remaining 50% are expatriate students, mainly from diplomatic, senior business and NGO backgrounds. Collectively the school encompasses over 40 nationalities in its student body.
The school enjoys a spacious and well-resourced purpose-built campus on the southern edge of Khartoum. The school is organised into two Sections, each occupying very well resourced and purpose-built accommodation on a single landscaped campus: the Primary Section, Little KICS-Year
6 (US Pre-K-Grade 5) and the Senior Section, Years
7-13 (US Grades 6-12). Each Section has its own Head who is the Section's educational
and report directly to the Principal.
KICS is governed by a self-perpetuating Board of Governors of up to 10 members drawn from the parent community and related corporate partners. The Principal is a full voting member of the Board and is an active partner in the school's strategic development.
The school is committed to the highest standards of student achievement, with 100% of each graduating class being entered for the full IB Diploma with outcomes comparable to leading international schools worldwide. Over the first decade of the school's existence, KICS students have been accepted by a range of elite institutions, such as Harvard, MIT, Yale and Cornell in the US, and Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE in the UK, to UBC, McGill, Toronto in Canada.
Khartoum is a city widely considered to be the safest in Africa. Its position at the confluence of the Blue and White Niles, and at the crossroads of Africa and the Middle East, has historically been the most fascinating aspect of its identity and makes it unique on the continent. A quiet city, Khartoum and the immediate vicinity has plenty to occupy those preferring to follow the path less trodden and/or willing to contribute to the development of the community.
For further information about KICS please see the school website www.kics.sd.
B. THE ROLE OF THE PRINCIPAL
The Principal is responsible for the implementation of the Board's strategic vision and the day-to-day management general welfare of the school. The Principal is accountable to the KICS Board of Governors on all policy matters and works with the School Leadership Team to implement policy and manage the school.
As the chief administrative and supervisory officer of the school, the KICS Principal is responsible for the execution of Board policies, for the implementation of regulations by all employees, for administration, supervision, and leadership in school programmes, and for all other educational, administrative, social and recreational activities connected with the school.
KICS is looking to recruit a passionate educator with energy, drive and enthusiasm to take the school forward strongly into its second decade.
All candidates should have:
- A graduate degree in Education (Masters, EdD or PhD)
- Proven experience in a school leadership position
- Commitment to the ideals of the International Baccalaureate
- Experience of school financial management responsibilities
- Experience of school accreditation processes
- A proven strategic outlook on school leadership
- Intercultural awareness and tolerance.
The ideal candidate will have most or all of the following:
- Experience in an international school in a developing world context " Experience in working effectively with a school Board
- A progressive outlook on 21st Century education " A strong record in curriculum leadership
- The ability to recruit and retain high-calibre administrators and teachers " The ability to think and act strategically
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- An approachable interpersonal style, a visible presence on campus and in the community. " Strong communication skills applicable to a diverse cultural environment
- Effective time management skills and the ability to delegate
- The ability to generate trust among all stakeholders, and to develop a shared vision for the school " A problem-solving outlook, matched with flexibility, creativity and a good sense of humour.
The successful candidate will be offered a highly competitive employment package commensurate with his/her experience and skills, comparable to similar leading international schools.
The comprehensive benefits package includes accommodation in an attractive house adjacent to the school campus, car, health insurance, business class travel annually to home of record and golf club membership.
E. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Suitably qualified candidates should send the following as a single PDF attachment to David Cope of Search Associates, to arrive no later than 30 September 2016
- a letter of application (no more than one page), briefly outlining why the candidate wishes to apply for this position and what specific skills, qualities and experience he/she can offer the school
- a CV (no more than two pages)
- a statement of educational and leadership philosophy (no more than one page)
- the names and full contact details (including current email addresses) of four (or more) professional referees.
- a good recent head-and-shoulders photo.