< Back to Leadership Vacancies
International School of London (UK)
Appointed - Position has been filled
Mar 28, 18
Apr 25, 18
International School of London – London
Secondary Principal (for an August 2018 start)
Job Title: Secondary Principal
Reports to: Head of School
Deputised by: Head of Pastoral
Campus: ISL London
- Contribute to whole school development through active participation in Senior Leadership forums
- Effectively uphold the ethos and objectives of ISL
- Ensure the Secondary School has effective decision making and communication procedures within the school and across the school community
- Ensure provision of quality education for students and improvement in student outcomes
- Work in partnership with the MYP and DP Coordinators to ensure effective management and improvement of the curriculum
- Report regularly to the Principal and advise the Principal on a proper and substantive approach to strategic planning in the Secondary School
- Plan collaboratively with the Principal to oversee the management of resources effectively and equitably
- Develop strategies with the Principal to enhance the performance and welfare of staff
- Promote the participation of the school community in developing and achieving the school's goals and purposes
- Promote a welcoming environment for members of the wider community into the school – such as parents and visitors
- Ensure that all Secondary School procedures are in line with best practice for safeguarding and health and safety
- Develop a strong student voice in Secondary School
The Secondary Principal is:
- Translating the school's vision, priorities and targets into explicit policies and practices
- Supporting the Head in the development of the school's vision, priorities and targets which are reflected in the strategic plan
- Advising and guiding the Principal on strategic planning for matters relating to school facilities
- Overseeing the provision of quality education for all students in accordance with the policies and priorities of ISL
- In conjunction with the Principal and in collaboration with the MYP and DP Coordinators, ensure effective teaching and learning practices throughout the Secondary School
- Developing a culture which demonstrates that learning is valued, personalised, and based on individual needs
- Developing a culture of collaboration, in which all members of the school community contribute to the achievements of shared goals
- Manage the Secondary School budget and contribute to financial implications of longer term school developments
- Ensure that all policies relating to the Secondary School are current and updated as outlined in the policy review calendar and contribute to whole school policies that are pertinent to Secondary
The Secondary Principal is to work with the Head to ensure:
- The development and implementation by all secondary teaching staff of teaching and learning programmes relevant to the current needs of all students and anticipated learning outcomes
- The implementation of varied teaching and learning strategies which support a personalised approach that meets the needs of all students
- In collaboration with secondary curriculum leaders, teaching and learning programmes are evaluated, student outcomes are analysed and student progress monitored.
The Secondary Principal School will work with the Head to ensure:
- The reporting of student achievements to parents, students, teachers and the school community
- Analysis of school-based student assessment data which impacts upon school priorities, targets and teaching and learning programmes to improve student outcomes
- Targeting available financial, physical, human and technological resources to achieve quality learning outcomes
- To develop and implement future plans for the expansion of the college that include alternative courses appropriate for post 16
Care & Guidance
The Head of School, in consultation with the Head of Schol and Head of Pastoral care, will ensure:
- A comprehensive student welfare and pastoral policy which is regularly reviewed and which includes the principles of natural justice and procedural fairness
- Policies, programmes and practices which are regularly reviewed and which promote the protection, safety, self-esteem and welfare of students
- Ensure that the learning environment is welcoming, stimulating and supports independent learning.
- Practices that ensure all students are treated in accord with their particular needs and talents
Staff Welfare, Development and Management
The Secondary Principal is accountable for:
- Ensuring that the school environment is pleasant, exciting, safe and challenging for students
- Promoting a collegial and co-operative culture to support team effectiveness and to encourage individual development
- Effective communication and decision-making processes within the school
- Clarifying the duties of school staff and ensuring staff appropriately exercise their delegated responsibilities
- Facilitating the professional growth of staff through the promotion of teacher efficiency in student welfare and assessment, curriculum development and evaluation, planning, classroom management and teaching skills
- Working with the Head to develop innovative professional development programmes that allow teachers to build their pedagogical understanding to support classroom practice
- Implementing specific programmes for the development of staff who experience difficulties in the performance of their duties
- The maintenance by all staff of documentation required in the completion of their duties
- Supervising and evaluating the implementation of teaching and learning programmes and associated teaching strategies
- Inducting staff in the requirements of policies and mandatory training procedures
- Overseeing secondary staff appraisal and following up with any issues arising from this process in a timely manner.
School and Community Partnership
The Secondary Principal is accountable for:
- Providing opportunities for and promoting school community participation in developing the school's vision statement, priorities, targets and school policies
- Maintaining open communication throughout the school community
- Acknowledging the views and expectations of, and working with parents for the personal, social and educational welfare of their children
- Liaising with parent bodies, such as the PTA, in order to keep them abreast with developments and informed about procedures.
- Ensuring that the transitions team support the induction and integration of new Secondary students into the school community.
- Ensuring that Parent Information Meetings and conferences are planned at appropriate times in the school calendar and that these run smoothly.
- Ensuring that Curriculum Information Events for parents are planned at appropriate times in the school calendar and that these run smoothly.
- Communicating with the school community regarding announcements about developments in the Secondary section
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified. The Secondary Principal of School will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from the Principal to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
This job description may be amended at any time following discussion between the Director, the Head and the Secondary Principal.
The terms and conditions of the position will be discussed with short-listed candidates.
Suitably qualified candidates should send to David Cope of Search Associates – firstname.lastname@example.org - all the items below collated together in a single pdf as an email attachment (to arrive as soon as possible, and no later than 25 April 2018)
- a letter of application (no more than one page), outlining why the candidate wishes to apply for this position and what specific skills, qualities and experience he/she can offer
- a CV (no more than two pages)
- the names and full contact details of at least three professional referees (one of which should if possible be the leader of the applicant's current organisation)
- a good recent head-and-shoulders photo
Closing date: Wednesday 25 April 2018
Applications to: email@example.com