< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Dr. Larry Molacek
Nov 4, 2022
Dec 5, 2022
Advanced Learning Schools
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
is seeking a
Effective August 2023
Founded in 2005, Advanced Learning Schools (ALS) is seeking a new Superintendent to assume the key leadership role in the school in August of 2023.
ALS is one of only 150 schools in the world offering three IB programs as a full IB World School. In offering the Primary Years Program, the Middle Years Program and the Diploma Program, ALS provides students with the opportunity to access a comprehensive and coherent curriculum from KG to Grade 12. ALS prides itself in the fact that while being an IB World School, the school also holds true Islamic values with an emphasis placed on offering a high-quality education in all areas including Arabic, Islamic Studies and Arabic social studies for all students. ALS will be moving into a new purpose-built school in 2023 and expects to increase in time to an enrollment of 1200 students Pk-12. The current enrollment stands at 850.
ALS is a private, English language, international day school serving primarily Saudi national students from Pre-K through Grade 12. ALS is accredited by CIS and completed its last on-site accreditation review in 2014. The school is currently preparing for its next on-site IBO / CIS combined review in February 2023. Nearly all ASL graduates attend a college or university program and are accepted into excellent schools in Saudi Arabia, United Kingdom, United States and Canada.
ALS provides opportunities for students to participate in extra-curricular academic and athletic events with students from other international schools in Riyadh.
The mission of ALS is to provide students with an opportunity to acquire and demonstrate knowledge, appreciation and respect for their own cultural heritage, integrated with an understanding of, curiosity about, and compassion and tolerance towards other cultures of the world. It provides an environment that encourages moral development, active and independent learning, analytical thinking, life-long learning, respect for individual differences and sensitivity to the moral, social and environmental requirements of global community.
The Campus and Facilities
The school currently operates in accommodations next to King Saud University but aspires to relocate to a new state-of-the-art campus in the near future. Over the past several school years, ALS has undertaken a number of renovation projects on the current campus. A multi-purpose facility has been created which seats 400 and accommodates a variety of student activities and performances. ALS has campus-wide wireless access, science and computer labs, two libraries, covered outdoor spaces, and a grass soccer field.
The school made a strategic commitment at its founding to embrace the IB program. The Primary Years Program, the Middle Years Program, and the Diploma Program, serve the 850-student population in their preparation for post-secondary learning pathways. 20% of the curriculum is delivered in Arabic (Arabic language, Arabic social studies and Islamic Studies).
The Faculty and Administration
The professional staff consists of 74 members at ALS. 30% are overseas-hired teachers (mostly from other Arabic speaking countries) and the balance of the faculty are locally-hired. There is a strong administrative team in place including a Principal and two Assistant Principals who lead the co-ed Early Childhood through 3rd Grade program and 4th through 12th Grade program for females and a Principal and Assistant Principal for the 4th through 12th Grade program for males.
The Governance Structure
The Board of Trustees is currently composed of eight members, comprised of distinguished professionals involved in government, commerce, and education, some of whom reside in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and some who reside in other parts of the world. However, there are plans for a reorganization of the Board to ensure that the Board provides governance aligned with the principles of best practice and insuring that the fiduciary, strategic and generative modes of governance contribute to strong governance leadership.
The Academic Calendar
The school year follows a calendar dictated by the Ministry of Education with classes beginning early September and ending in June. ALS observes Muslim holidays. There are 180 instructional days plus some additional days for professional development for the faculty and staff.
The Superintendent is responsible for providing leadership to the Advanced Learning School’s Pre-K through Grade 12 educational programs, ensuring the achievement of the ALS mission.
The Superintendent reports to the ALS Board of Trustees. In this role, the Superintendent is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the school. Working with the leadership team, the Superintendent is responsible to implement effective policies, programs and practices that promote an environment that insures a caring and learning-focused school culture and ethos.
Description of Duties
- Serve as the primary educational advisor to the Board of Trustees, in collaboration with members of the Leadership Team, in order for the Board to generate the financial resources required to successfully deliver on the Mission of the School.
- Provide support to the Leadership Team and members of the faculty in the successful implementation of the curricular and co-curricular programs.
- Ensure that ALS continues to meet and exceed the educational requirements that result in maintaining CIS accreditation.
- Serve as the Chief Executive Officer of ALS with a commitment to developing a high performing Leadership Team at ALS who consistently challenge operational assumptions, promote innovation in the delivery of the educational programs and raise standards in all areas of the ALS operation from Pre-K through Grade 12.
- Make policies recommendations to the Board of Trustees when needed and implement existing policies and regulations.
- Successfully recruit, retain and develop outstanding faculty and staff.
- Oversee the admission of new students and the annual registration process for returning students.
- Maintain open, positive, and transparent communication with all school stakeholders and develop positive and constructive working relationships with students, parents, faculty and staff.
- Foster positive working relationships with local educational authorities to include the Ministry of Education, with other local schools and universities, and with the broader international educational community.
- Strong business acumen coupled with the ability to thoughtfully direct available financial resources to insure delivery of the best possible educational program.
- Develop and successfully implement the annual operation and capital budgets with input from the Chief Financial Officer and members of the Leadership Team.
- Ensure that available financial resources are managed effectively in the promotion of the School’s Mission and within the approved budget
- An experienced international educator who models a commitment to achieving excellence.
- A highly visible leader who exhibits excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A leader who embraces a collaborative leadership style.
- Someone who consistently demonstrates honesty, integrity and compassion.
- A patient and calm individual who demonstrates the capacity to listen, to reflect while demonstrating decisiveness when a decision needs to be made in the best interest of the student and the school.
- Exhibit an openness to other points of view and an appreciation and respect for multiple cultures.
- A graduate degree in educational leadership or educational administration.
- A proven record of success in positions of international educational leadership.
- Arabic language skills.
- Comprehensive understanding of the International Baccalaureate program.
- Proven ability to work harmoniously with all stakeholder groups to include; students, parents, faculty, staff, the Board of Trustees and members of the broader community who interact with the school in a variety of capacities.
- Proven ability to successfully recruit, retain and develop outstanding faculty and staff members.
- Proven ability to operate a school within the approved budget.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The Superintendent’s package includes:
- Competitive salary
- Housing allowance to include all utilities
- World-wide medical insurance
- Shipping allowance.
- Annual home-leave travel allowance
- Tuition for dependent children.
- Support for professional development
- Annual transportation allowance
Procedure for Filing an Application
The Advanced Learning Schools has appointed Search Associates to facilitate the Superintendent search with Dr. Brent Mutsch serving as the primary consultant. The deadline for submission of applications is December 5. However, candidates are encouraged to submit a letter of interest and the application materials as early as possible as the Board of Trustees reserves the right to accelerate the selection process if the right candidate is identified in advance of the application deadline.
Semi-finalist candidates will be recommended by Search Associates and the applications and supporting materials will be forward to the ALS Search Committee on a rolling basis. Candidates who wish to apply should submit the information requested below in the form and manner requested.
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are specifically interested in the ALS Superintendent position.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages.
- A one or two page statement outlining your philosophy of education.
- A one-page list of at least four references who have served in the role of directly supervising your performance with current phone numbers and email addresses.
- A maximum of four letters of recommendation which you already have in your possession may be included in the application but are not required.
Please send application materials in a single pdf attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Finalist candidates (with spouses if applicable) will be invited to ALS after the first of the New Year and will have an opportunity to observe the school in operation and meet with the faculty, staff, Leadership Team and Board of Trustees. The new Superintendent will be appointed shortly after the campus interviews have been completed.
Additional information about the Advanced Learning Schools may be accessed on the school’s web site at: www.alschools.com