< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Dr. Peter Toscano
Nov 29, 21
Dec 31, 21
Lahore American School
seeks a new
Lahore American School (LAS) is a selective, private, non-profit, co-educational, day school serving the international and local communities in Lahore since 1956. Since its inception, LAS has offered a challenging and comprehensive college-preparatory program to students representing many different nationalities, in addition to the very best local students. The school offers instruction from Pre- School through Grade 12, based on the US model of education. LAS offers a US diploma and a number of Advanced Placement (AP) courses. Most graduates attend universities in the United States, Canada, and Great Britain. The school's 4.5-acre campus is located in the heart of the city of Lahore. Facilities include separate elementary, middle, and high school buildings, a theater arts complex, and a cafeteria. A covered gymnasium, a covered 5-lane swimming pool, and sports field are part of the campus. Additional information about Lahore American School can be found on the LAS website at www.las.edu.pk.
Igniting Passion for Learning
Building our Community
Connecting to the World
Preparing for the Future
Realizing our Potential
LAS has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA) since 1984 and was most recently reaccredited in October 2021, using the MSA’s Excellence by Design protocol which focuses on strategic planning to define objectives for growth and improvement in student performance as well as organizational capacity.
In 2019-20, LAS applied for the CIS (Council of International Schools) accreditation and was successfully granted the CIS membership in May 2021. LAS thus became the only school in Pakistan with CIS membership. LAS is now at preparatory stage and the Team Evaluation Visit is scheduled for March 2022.
LAS is governed by an eight-member Board of Directors. Seven board members are elected by the teaching faculty and parents of students enrolled at LAS. The eighth board member is appointed by the US Ambassador to Pakistan and is generally a member of the US Consulate in Lahore. The term of office for Board members is two years. The Board’s major roles are to set strategic direction and policies for the school, approve the annual budget, and hire the Superintendent.
The City and Community
The city of Lahore is the second largest city in Pakistan with a population of approximately ten million people. Lahore is located in the Punjab Province, 195 miles from Pakistan’s capital of Islamabad. LAS is located at the famous Canal Bank in a lovely central area of Lahore called ‘Upper Mall’. It is close to the old historical city and the main shopping areas.
Enrollment (as of October 2021)
LAS currently has 353 students enrolled. There are 152 students in the Elementary School and 201 in the Secondary School. The approximate composition by nationality of the entire school is 16% US, 22% third-country-nationals, and 62% Pakistani.
Faculty and Staff
The total number of LAS employees is 127 with the faculty comprising 54 educators. Amongst the teaching staff are 17international hires, 2 local-hire expatriates, and 35 local-hire Pakistanis, most of whom are certified and professionally trained in the United States. There are 21 teaching assistants. The administration includes the Superintendent, Secondary School Principal, Elementary School Principal and Secondary Assistant Principal/Curriculum Coordinator.
LAS offers a college-preparatory program geared for students who will eventually attend universities in the United States or elsewhere. The American-style curriculum seeks to remain abreast of current educational practice while including host country studies and field study opportunities. Technology, music, art, and physical education are important components of the program of studies. French and Mandarin languages are offered from Grades 6 to 12, and Urdu is offered from Kindergarten to Grade 12. The academic program includes several Advanced Placement courses in the high school.
LAS is a member of South Asia Inter-School Association (SAISA) and fully participates in SAISA sports and cultural activities. LAS students compete in swimming, volleyball, soccer, cricket, basketball, and track and field at SAISA tournaments. Preparation for Model United Nations is an important part of the LAS program. Many supplemental opportunities for local sports / debating competitions exist in the city of Lahore for students. The School also has vibrant student-led societies like National Honor Society (NHS). National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) and National Junior Arts Honor Society (NJAHS).
Responsibilities of the Superintendent
The Superintendent reports to the Board of Directors. LAS parents elect members of the Board, and the Board hires the Superintendent. The Superintendent’s duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Set the near-medium- and long-term strategic plan for LAS and lead its execution.
- Set and deliver on the highest standards of learning aligned with the needs and demands of the 21st century, as well as ensure their continuous improvement.
- Ensure the School has the most qualified & experienced faculty and management.
- Responsible for recruitment, retention and further professional development of all staff.
- Ensure the School aspires to pursue and retain international accreditations that enhance its reputation and brand.
- Build the spirit of teamwork, mutual respect and passion to be the best, amongst all members of management, faculty and administrative staff.
- Develop a holistic learning environment where the student body can excel at academic and non-academic pursuits and prepare itself to realize its higher education aspirations anywhere in the world
- Prepare the budget, presentation for Board approval and successful administration of the financial resources throughout the course of the school year within policies set by the Board.
- Foster a positive, congenial, professional working relationship with the school community by establishing effective lines of communication based on trust and respect.
- Ensure successful implementation of Board of Directors' policies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Minimum is a graduate degree in educational leadership from an accredited university.
- Minimum 3 years of administrative experience, in the capacity of Superintendent or Deputy Superintendent, in a K-12 international school with an American-style curriculum.
- Proven track record of successful international school leadership, change management, problem solving and business acumen.
- Proficiency in budgeting and financial management skills.
- Experience in standards-based learning systems.
- Knowledge of the accreditation process.
- Experience in human resource recruitment and management.
- Experience with facilities planning, strategic planning, and program development.
- Familiarity with meeting the needs of students with unique learning profiles.
- Knowledge and experience with AP and IB program development.
- Ability to work successfully with and for the Board and with the community at large.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in American Schools in emerging markets.
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to inspire others. Click here to enter text.
- Strong passion and commitment to excellence. Click here to enter text.
- Change manager who understands how to design and execute change
- A consensus-building and participatory leadership style.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of cultural and ethnic diversity.
- Excellent communication skills when writing and speaking.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Team building around mission and vision.
- Ability to manage difficult situations in a calm and confident manner.
- Professional and personal integrity.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be competitive and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a furnished house or apartment, utilities, a car, family health insurance, yearly home leave, shipping allowance, retirement contribution, and a tuition waiver for dependent children. The initial contract will be for two years with annual extensions thereafter with approval of the Board.
Procedure for Filing Application
Lahore American School has appointed Search Associates to act as their consultant in the search for the new Superintendent, with Barbara Powers and Brent Mutsch, acting as the lead consultants.
The deadline for applications for the position is December 31, 2021. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials listed below as early as possible as the Search Committee reserves the right to accelerate the selection process if the right candidate is identified.
The review of files and interviews by the Search consultants will begin as soon as applications are received. Finalists will be identified by the Search Committee and these finalists, along with their spouses, if applicable, will be interviewed in Lahore. Finalists will have the opportunity to visit the campus and meet with students, parents, faculty, staff, administrative colleagues and the Board. The new Superintendent will be selected after the conclusion of the campus visit and final interviews.
Candidates should send the information listed below as a single pdf file attached to an email:
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Superintendent position at Lahore American School.
- A statement describing your educational and leadership philosophy, not to exceed two pages.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages.
- A one-page list of references who have served as immediate supervisors with current telephone numbers and email addresses.
- A maximum of three letters of reference (scanned at low resolution) that may already be in your possession.
Total document size should be kept to less than four (4) MB if possible. Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Additional information about LAS can be found on the school’s web site at <www.las.edu.pk>.