News: Teach Abroad in Bermuda - Feb 18, 2019
<< Back to: Latest News | School Spotlights

Monday, February 18, 2019School Spotlights

Teach Abroad in Bermuda

Warwick Academy (WA), Bermuda is a thriving independent, selective school serving students ages 4–18. An International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, WA offers the Early Years Programme in Reception Year, a fusion of the U.K. National Curriculum and International Primary Curriculum from Year 1 to Year 9, IGCSE/GCSE examinations in Year 11, and the IB Diploma Programme, IB Individual Subjects and BTEC in the Sixth Form. The school has vibrant music, drama, sport, and community service programs in addition to a variety of other co-curricular activities. At present, 830 students are enrolled, 75% of whom are Bermudan, with the remaining 25% from North America and the U.K. The teaching staff of 100 comprises 70 from Bermuda and 30 from North America and the U.K.

WA has a strong emphasis on the performing arts, particularly theater. Though drama is part of the secondary school curriculum, WA students have opportunities to perform from an early age, starting with shared assembly presentations and a Winter Concert in December and also in Upper Primary Drama and Dance Club, which works towards a production in Term 2. On an extra-curricular basis, drama in secondary at Warwick Academy has gained a strong reputation in recent years for its staged productions, earning accolades for risk-taking and moving away from the stereotyped expectations of commercial theater. WA students have also been involved in the Bermuda Shakespeare Festival since its inception.

Modern sports facilities at WA include a 25-meter swimming pool that can be used year-round. The state-of-the-art gymnasium is used for cooperative games, basketball, volleyball, indoor football (soccer), badminton, netball, cricket, tennis, tumbling, and even Ultimate Frisbee. Two extensive playing fields are available for games of football, rugby, cricket, netball and athletics. The campus is also conducive to cross country running within or near its perimeter. At the northern end of campus is a dock used for swimming, lifesaving activities, sailing, and kayaking. WA also makes use of several public and private facilities so it can offer tennis, golf, bowling, squash, field hockey, wall-climbing, mountain biking, cross country, walking, and rowing. Regularly-coordinated Sports Days help stoke school spirit within WA’s vibrant “House” system!

WA is interested in hiring certified singles and teaching couples. They will consider couples with a non-teaching spouse, outstanding newly-certified teachers, and those certified in non-English speaking countries. Candidates must possess their academic degree in the subject they will be teaching. Certified teachers under the age of 62 may obtain a work visa. The school has many positive things to say of its staff culture:

“We support a nurturing environment which promotes camaraderie and collaboration. We believe in a strong work ethic that values dedication and professional behaviour. We strive to build relationships that foster happy and positive staff. We promote open communication, which encourages honesty, integrity, respect and transparency. We value people who are creative independent thinkers and are passionate about lifelong learning. We expect the best in all that we do.”

The benefits package includes a settling-in allowance, a housing allowance for the first month, and airfare at the beginning and end of the contract. WA contributes 5% to a retirement plan and covers 25% of tuition fees for all dependent children. Worldwide health insurance—with the employee paying a percentage of the premium—includes life, dental, and emergency evacuation. Professional development is offered both on- and off-island. There are local employment opportunities for non-teaching partners. The WA salary and benefits package allows for great savings.

To gain access to Warwick Academy's full profile on the Search Associates database, including a list of all open positions, candidates can apply for membership by clicking here. Candidates already registered can easily access the school profile directly through their dashboards.

Please note: The information presented about this school was valid on the date published. This information may change, and the most up-to-date information can be found on the school profile.



Did You Know…?

Search Associates responds to Child Protection recommendations with substantial changes to their candidate application. These changes will help us gather the most complete candidate profile possible, making the evaluation/hiring process for international schools more efficient and effective.