News: Teach Abroad in Kuala Lumpur - Nov 26, 2018
<< Back to: Latest News | School Spotlights

Monday, November 26, 2018School Spotlights

Teach Abroad in Kuala Lumpur

HELP International (HIS) is a thriving learning community established in Kuala Lumpur in 2014. The school, which earned a “five star” rating from the Malaysian Ministry of Education, has a central courtyard full of greenery and flexible, open learning spaces inside and outside of its buildings.

A member of the Association of International Malaysian Schools, HIS delivers a predominantly British curriculum: the International Early Years, Primary, and Middle Years Certificates along with the Cambridge Checkpoint, International General Certificate of Secondary Education, and A Level courses. HIS is also a Cambridge Professional Development Centre. The school offers Singapore Maths—a teaching method based on the national Singaporean curriculum—at the primary level as well as a vibrant Mandarin program.

In 2017, HIS was named an Apple Distinguished School in recognition for its leadership and educational excellence. The iPad 1:1 program is supported by a team of learning technologies coaches. Currently enrolled are 1,342 pre-kindergarten through Grade 13 students, mostly Malaysian students, with 2% from North America and the U.K. The teaching staff of 145 includes 29 teachers from the U.K., one from North America, and 96 from Malaysia.

HIS is interested in hiring certified singles and couples. The Ministry of Education guidelines in Malaysia state that teachers must have at least three years of teaching experience. However, the Ministry considers the time it takes a teacher to earn his or her certification as teaching experience. Moreover, as long as a teacher has teaching qualifications, his or her academic degree does not have to be the subject that they will be teaching. Teachers under the age of 60 can obtain a work visa in Malaysia.

The benefits package includes a monthly housing stipend. A retirement plan called the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) allows the employer to contribute 12% if the employee contributes 11%, hence a total of 23%. Tuition fees are waived 100% for a teacher’s first child and 50% for his or her second. Local health insurance—including life insurance, long-term disability, and emergency evacuation—is fully covered, with an annual limit of $35,000 USD. The policy also includes up to 89 days of overseas coverage, but staff may need to top up for additional coverage, such as maternity coverage. The overall benefits package amounts to some savings!

To gain access to HELP International School’s profile on the Search Associates database, including a list of all open positions, candidates can apply for membership by clicking here. Candidates already registered can easily access the school profile directly through their dashboards.

Please note: The information presented about this school was valid on the date published. This information may change, and the most up-to-date information can be found on the school profile.

Did You Know…?

Senior Associate Gez Hayden led the first international school authorized to offer all three IB programs in China.