< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Carolyn Mason Parker
Sep 29, 2015
Nov 15, 2015
QATAR ACADEMY - SIDRA
Secondary SCHOOL PRINCIPAL (Grades 6 – 12)
Qatar Academy Sidra is seeking a dynamic, experienced educational leader to become its next Secondary School Principal.
Qatar Academy Sidra is a private, non-profit co-educational English medium school located in Doha. The school is aligned with Qatari culture and serves the growing educational needs of the State of Qatar.
The school is a member of Qatar Foundation Schools (QFS), a consortium serving over 4,500 Qatari nationals and international students in the State of Qatar. Most of the schools offer the IB program at a variety of levels. Qatar Foundation Schools are under the umbrella of Qatar Foundation and support the QF vision of moving our country from a carbon-based economy to a knowledge-based economy by unlocking human potential.
This is a school on the move. Significant progress has already been made in the goal of becoming an IB World School by the end of the 2016 – 2017 school year. The school is in its second year of PYP, MYP and DP candidacy, will be applying for DP authorization this year, and is also a candidate school for both CIS and NEASC accreditation. Reports from all five consultant visits last year strongly applauded the progress made by the school and saw goals as very achievable. Next year, in its fifth year of operation, QAS will be adding Grade 11 and Grade 12 the following year. Being a leader in this dynamic school is both a rare challenge and a unique opportunity most educators don't often get - the chance to shape the vision, character and culture of school in its early years.
A Director and three school leaders, a Primary Principal, Assistant Principal and Secondary School Principal, administer the school and are supported by coordinators in both the PYP and MYP programs. Each principal is responsible for the management of his or her school while working together with the Director and other members of the administrative team to ensure that the overall mission, vision, curricular and learning goals are achieved.
The Secondary School Principal works in conjunction with the school director and the administrative team to ensure that programs and services support school wide goals and achieve the mission and vision of the school. The Secondary School Principal assures the orderly and efficient daily operation of the school.
- Master’s degree in Education or equivalent administrative certification
- Previous successful school administration experience at either the Middle or High School level
- Outstanding instructional leadership skills
- A deep understanding of the philosophy and underlying principles of the MYP and DP programs
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to relate to student concerns
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional growth
The following personal and professional qualifications or experiences are desirable.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- International experience in a variety of roles and settings including leadership in both the MYP and DP programs
- Willingness to make a long term commitment
- A good sense of humor and a positive outlook
- An interest in understanding the culture and values of Qatar and incorporating them into our work in the school
INSTRUCTIONAL AND CURRICULAR LEADERSHIP
- Facilitates the delivery of the school’s curriculum, working directly with faculty to ensure that teachers know, understand, and teach the approved curriculum
- Monitors, evaluates and reviews the assessment strategies used in conjunction with the curriculum to ensure that all teachers know, understand and use the school’s assessment guidelines.
- Contributes to and participates in the development a school-wide strategic plan and yearly education goals.
HUMAN RESOURCES AND STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- Collaborates with the School Director on the recruitment and retention of school faculty and staff
- Oversees the professional development of divisional faculty and staff
- Serves as a parent/community liaison
- Designs and implements in conjunction with the other school administrators the staff orientation program
- Screens all student candidates for admission in support of the Admissions Officer and makes recommendations for admission based upon a review of appropriate records and reports
- Develops policies that promote student achievement
- Oversees student assessment and the reporting of assessments to parents
- Works with students, teachers, parents, and counselors to address student behavior
OTHER ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves on various standing and ad hoc committees at the school level
- Liaises and maintains a productive, on-going dialog with parents
- Facilitates parent-teacher meetings and meets with parent representatives and volunteers as required
- Assists in the development of an annual school operation budget
- Oversees resource ordering, monitoring and budget control for the school division
- Organizes meetings, committees, social events
- Extra-curricular activities
- Student supervision, discipline, and counseling
- Implementation of school and board policies
- Establishment of procedures for the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the school
- Ensuring the health and safety of students and staff
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to send the information listed below as a single pdf file attachment to:
Mr. Stephen Massiah - Director, Qatar Academy Sidra - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Peter Corcoran - Executive Director, Qatar Foundation Schools - email@example.com
The application package must include:
- A one page letter of application explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested applying for this position
- A current resume not to exceed two pages and including a recent picture
- A one page statement outlining your educational philosophy and leadership style
- A one-page list of references with the business, home phone numbers and e-mail addresses of three school administrators with whom you have worked
- A maximum of three letters of reference (the requirement will be waived for candidates current registered with Search or ISS)
Additional information about Qatar Academy Sidra can be found on the school’s web site at http://www.qasidra.com.qa/
Initial closing date for applications – November 15, 2015.
Qatar Foundation Schools reserves the right to appoint a candidate before the application deadline should this prove desirable.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.