< Back To Fair List
January 17 - 19, 2020
CHINESE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, HONG KONG
Fair Organizer: Xiaohang Sumner
The Hong Kong Fair is held right at the peak of the recruiting season, on the campus of the Chinese International School in central Hong Kong, atop Braemar Hill and overlooking the beautiful harbor. The HK fair brings together candidates from a wide diversity of nationalities, whilst 20% of the candidates are ethnically Chinese.
Attending the Hong Kong Fair offers both candidates and school recruiters the opportunity to schedule interviews with each other to determine if a good "fit" exits. In addition, our fairs offer an excellent opportunity to network with other international teaching candidates (as well as recruiters) and get a good sense of the joys and challenges of working in international education.
FOCUS: QUALITY AND INNOVATION
The Hong Kong Fair is attended by schools mostly from the Far East, the Near East and South Asia but also from the rest of the world looking for candidates from a wide range of nationalities all over the world who are either currently based in Asia or are committed to working in Asia.
Started over ten years ago, the Hong Kong Fair has expanded in line with the tremendous growth of international education in this region. The last fair in January 2019 saw it nearing its maximum capacity and further growth in demand for places is likely to see HK close its books early in the future recruiting seasons. In managing its growth the Hong Kong Fair will seek to emphasize a focus on quality and innovation in 2020. The Hong Kong Fair reflects many of the city’s characteristics as the innovative gateway to and from the Orient - the dynamic and free meeting point for the East and the West.
There has been impressive innovation in the world of international education across this region in the last few years to meet the needs of a new generation of "glocal" students in schools providing international education. Innovation has been occurring in these schools not only in curriculum designs (both inside and outside the classroom), but also in a variety of other educational initiatives. These schools are rich in resources, innovative in mission, and committed to international education in a cross-cultural context. The schools attending the Hong Kong Fair are leaders in these developments and are looking for high quality candidates who are flexible and committed to child-centered innovative learning.
Candidates interested in being on the cutting-edge of developments in international education in the 21st century are strongly encouraged to attend the Hong Kong Fair to learn about these new developments and to seek opportunities in our schools for personal growth.
The Hong Kong Fair will open its books for school registrations in early June and for candidate registrations on July 1, 2019. As we were virtually full last year and expect even more growth next year, we will ask schools and candidates to register as early as possible to reserve a place.
RECRUITERS: Schools must attend the Registration and set-up by late Friday afternoon, attend the meetings on Saturday morning, and be available Saturday afternoon and Sunday for interviews. Please go to your school's dashboard and accept your invitation. If you do not have an invitation yet, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TEACHING AND LEADERSHIP CANDIDATES: Candidates must attend the orientation meeting and the interview sign-up session early in the morning on Saturday, and be available Saturday afternoon and Sunday for possible interviews.
- If you are already registered with the Hong Kong office, please email me to request an invitation.
- If you are not yet registered with Search, please contact me for information on joining Search Associates and attending the Hong Kong Fair.
- If you are registered with another Senior Associate, please contact him/her to request an invitation to the Hong Kong Fair.
Xiaohang Sumner and the HK Team
Among the peak-season January fairs, the Hong Kong fair is mid-size, selective but still with many schools, so the proportion of candidates to schools is roughly the same at HK as it is at the other fairs. Attending the more focused Hong Kong fair will enable both schools and candidates to have more time for and attention to each other, allowing for better understanding and “fit”. The better “fit” between school and candidate, the higher chance of success not only at the fair, but more importantly, after arrival at the school.
The timing of the Hong Kong fair is quite advantageous, as it is neither too early or too late in the international recruiting cycle. School recruiters will be able to interview a large pool of excellent candidates and candidates will have access to a large number of positions available. In 2020, the fair will occur when many schools in the Far East are closing for the upcoming Chinese New Year, making it easy for many candidates to attend the fair without taking days off from work.
The fair is held over a three day period of time which will consist of school presentations, informative workshops, interview sign up sessions and most importantly, the interviews!
- Recruiters: Mandatory to register during 4-6:00 pm on Friday, January 17. Leave after 3 pm and before 5 pm on Sunday, January 19. Optional visit to selected schools in Hong Kong will be arranged on Monday if there is sufficient interest.
- Candidates: Arrive in Hong Kong by Friday evening. Mandatory to register during 8-9 am on Saturday, January 18 (Pre-Registration on Friday may be arranged). Leave after 3 pm and before 5 pm on Sunday, January 19.
A more detailed schedule will be posted closer to the time of the event.
In the last six years, over 150 schools from across Asia and the world have come to the Hong Kong Fair to recruit international school teachers and administrators.
The following schools have come at least five times during the last six years:
- Chinese International School, Hong Kong
- Creative Secondary School, Hong Kong
- HD Hurtwood House China
- Hong Kong Academy
- International School of Nanshan Shenzhen
- I-Shou International School, Kaohsiung
- Ivy Collegiate Academy, Taichung
- Shanghai Qibao Dwight High School
- Shanghai United International School
- Shen Wai International School, Shenzhen
- Shenzhen College of International Education
- The Independent Schools Foundation Academy, Hong Kong
- United World College of Changshu China
Schools that have come three or four times during the last six years include:
- Affiliated High School of South China Normal University
- Alcanta International College, Guangzhou
- American International School, Hong Kong
- American School Hong Kong
- Branksome Hall Asia
- Bromsgrove School Mission Hills
- Canadian International School Beijing
- Canadian International School Guangzhou
- Daystar Academy
- Diocesan Boys' School
- Haileybury International School Tianjin
- Hong Kong International School
- International Christian School
- International School of Ulaanbaatar
- Mount Kelly School, Hong Kong
- Ningbo Huamao International School
- Overseas Chinese Academy Suzhou
- Shanghai Singapore International School
- Shanghai United International School, Gubei Campus
- Shanghai United International School, Pudong Campus
- Shanghai Vanke Bilingual School
- Shekou International School
- Shenzhen (Nanshan) Concord College of Sino-Canada
- The International School of Macao
- ULink College Guangzhou
- Victoria Shanghai Academy
- Western International School of Shanghai
- Wuhan Ulink College of China Optics Valley
- Xi'an Hi-Tech International School
- Yew Chung International School
- Yew Chung International School of Beijing
- Yew Chung International School of Chongqing
- Yew Chung International School of Qingdao
- Yew Chung International School of Shanghai
- YK Pao School, Shanghai
- Yongsan International School of Seoul
Other schools that have come to Hong Kong from across Asia and the rest of the world include:
- Aga Khan Academy, Maputo
- American International School, Vietnam
- Ayeyarwaddy International School
- CfBT Education Trust (vacancies in Brunei)
- GEMS World Academy, Singapore and Malaysia
- Hanoi International School, Vietnam
- Hiroshima International School
- International School of Central Switzerland
- International School of Ho Chi Minh City
- Jakarta and Sinarmas World Academy, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Korea International School, Jeju
- Nagoya International School
- Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Astana, Kazakstan
- Orchlon School, Ulaanbaatar
- QSI -- Quality Schools Int'l (37 schools in 30 Countries)
- Saigon South International School, HCMC
- Seoul Foreign School
- Seoul International School
- The Sheikh Zayed Private Academy for Boys
- The Sheikh Zayed Private Academy for Girls, Abu Dhabi
- Whittle School & Studios
- The vast majority of candidates attending the HK Fair have international curriculum experience (e.g. IB) with over 50% having more than 10 years international school experience.
- Around 60% of the candidates attending the fair came from outside Hong Kong.
- Typically 25% of all hires made as a result of the Hong Kong fair are from schools based in Hong Kong, the rest are from mainland China, the other parts of Asia and the world.
RECRUITMENT FAIR COMMENTS from candidates
"I would very much like to thank Search for the support and guidance with the Search process. Placement via Search provides a level of confidence and assurance for both the applicant and school. I have really enjoyed the daily update emails and will rather miss them, seeing what the big wide world has to offer is a lovely way to start each day." — Ed Aldiss (2016)
"Joining Search Associates has been one of the best professional decisions I have made and I look forward to being a candidate for years to come. I would like to wholeheartedly thank the entire Search team for their hard work and exceptional platform for international teachers." — Yaiza Morales (2018)
"Just wanted to let you know I've accepted a job at OCAS. I had a great experience with Search Associates and the HK job fair was fantastic. I had eleven schools interview me and five offers." — Ryan Tannenbaum (2017)
"Search Associates has proven to be an essential tool for upgrading my career." — Luigi Mondino (2017)
"Thank you to Search Associates for the professional services and assistance with our job search. We are very happy with the opportunity to join Hangzhou International school, and very pleased that they were searching for 'veterans' who could add depth to their expanding school." — Marisa Confait (2017)
"Once again I would like to take the time to thank you for organizing the fair and offering your guidance. I have already signed my contract and just deactivated my account. I hope this will be an exciting experience for me professionally and a good choice for my family. It looks very promising!" — Emilija Simonovska Stojanovski (2017)
"I'd like to thank you for all the work you do in setting up these fair opportunities for us all. I'm glad I decided to come to the fair this weekend. It was fairly laid back and very positive. It was run efficiently and everyone I was in contact with was very professional, from associates to recruiters to candidates. I will surely recommend Search to other teachers and use you all if I'm job hunting again in the future. The hope is that it won't be for a long time! May Thanks." — Nick Staffa (2017)
"We are really impressed with the quality of the people and schools attending the Search Associates Job Fair. We had many interviews and all went well. When we got home, we had an offer from a school we really loved and ended up accepting it a couple of days later. Thank you Search Associates for helping us connect to so many great educators in such a short time." — Andrew and Danielle Aversen (2016)
"Thank you for organizing such a great job fair for everyone! I am very excited for the opportunity to teach at Shanghai United!" — Adam Burgetz (2016)
Chinese International School, 1 Hau Yuen Path, Braemar Hill, Hong Kong.
Interview Rooms: All interviews must be conducted at the allocated facilities inside the school.
The Hong Kong fair is held at the Chinese International School in central Hong Kong, where recruiters will have access to all the familiar amenities a school campus may offer and can conduct interviews in the comfort of private meeting rooms and classrooms.
There will be one or more hotels near Tin Hau MTR station in the Causeway Bay area where we have blocked rooms at significant discounts.
Please note that if you stay at the Fair Hotel, there will be a shuttle bus and guides to take you to the school, through campus security, to the registration room to help ensure that you arrive on time in the morning. If you do not stay at the Fair Hotel, you will need to make your own way to the school and need to make extra time to check in with campus security at the school entrance.
Make own arrangements early; flights in and out of Hong Kong in January can be very busy and fares will go up very quickly leading to the Chinese New Year holiday.
Most participants traveling from overseas will require no visa but, if in doubt, please check with your travel agent.
L’Hotel Causeway Bay, 18 King’s Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Reservation Form - Search Associates on 17-19 Jan 2020.pdf
We have obtained significantly discounted rates for the L'hotel at Causeway Bay for recruiters and candidates that are registered to attend the Hong Kong Fair -- room bookings MUST be made via the Reservation Form above. We strongly recommend that recruiters and candidates make hotel bookings EARLY as the Jan 2020 Fair is near the Chinese New Year holiday, this hotel is located centrally with harbor view and rooms will get booked fast. The deadline for the discount rates is 27th December 2019.
Special note for school recruiters: Please book only after schools that have been invited have been asked to pay for the registration, have paid by the invoice deadline, and then have received a confirmed registration email by Xiaohang Sumner.
A RANGE OF ESSENTIAL SERVICES TO SUPPORT SCHOOLS ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Employee benefits packages to suit all school budgets anywhere in the world.
We offer a best in-class range of products and services to make it easier for you to build an appealing benefits package to recruit and retain the best teachers.