The American International School - Riyadh
“As a school committed to excellence, we will educate and inspire our students to be responsible, productive and ethical world citizens with the skills and passion to think creatively, reason critically, communicate effectively, and learn continuously. We will accomplish this in an American educational environment characterized by high measurable standards and a clearly defined, appropriately interrelated college preparatory curriculum, implemented by a superior staff in partnership with students, parents and the community.”
The School and Program:
The American International School -Riyadh (AIS-R) is an independent, nonprofit, coeducational day school offering an enriched American curriculum with an international perspective for students in Pre-kindergarten through Grade 12. AIS-R was founded in 1963, and will begin its 52nd year of educational excellence on a new, purpose built, facility that opened in August 2014. AIS-R is fully accredited by both the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and the Council of International Schools (CIS), and is International Baccalaureate (IB) authorized. AIS-R is governed by a highly supportive, strategic, self-perpetuating, eight member Board of Trustees (including one non-voting member appointed by the US Ambassador).
AIS-R is located in the northern area of Riyadh, adjoined to the newly opened Al Bustan Village Compound, where faculty reside and have direct access to the AIS-R campus through a private entrance. The new school houses a 700 seat theatre, art gallery, multi-purpose room, STEM Labs, learning commons, and ES and MS/HS athletic centers, as well as a fitness center, amongst other creative breakout spaces and facilities. Learning areas are fully equipped with Smartboards and campus-wide wifi access, which work in unison with our 1:World technology program.
AIS-R’s EAGLE Honor Code is our Mission in action, operationalized to reflect the voices of all learners in our community. It was developed to provide access to the school’s Mission for our students, parents and community members of all ages and backgrounds. The ideals expressed by this Honor Code are integrated and integral to all things “AIS-R.”
AIS-R continues to re-develop and re-define its creative programs, teaching practices and community involvement with initiatives, such as: the development of a seamless standards-based learning system with a focus on assessment, evaluation and reporting; a Teaching for Understanding planning model that supports the integration of the AIS-R Learning Principles; and, a blended learning program that includes a 1:World approach. These initiatives are supported through a comprehensive “Learning and Growth Model” that includes purposeful and job-embedded professional learning, and a faculty and staff wellness program.
Riyadh is a vibrant and interesting city of 5 million people. Compared to other posts around the world, there is very little in terms of material goods that the expatriate must do without. Modern shopping malls, supermarkets, coffee shops and restaurants cater to most needs. Those in search of Old Arabia would do well to wander the various souqs, located in and around the city. AIS-R faculty and staff live on a well-established, expatriate compound (Al Bustan Village) that contains a restaurant, pool areas, recreation complex, hotel and fully stocked grocery store. Villas are bright, spacious, and fully furnished. Via one's school-provided vehicle, the school is roughly 15 minutes from downtown Riyadh and Diplomatic Quarter, with access to shopping malls and restaurants, and about 15 minutes from King Khalid International Airport, while desert hiking and camping awaits just beyond the city’s perimeter.
The AIS-R Student:
The AIS-R graduate is a realisation of the AIS-R Eagle Honor Code in conjunction with the IB Learner Profile. Inquiring, risk-taking, caring, students are developed and supported, not just in Grades 11 and 12, but as a preK-12 focus. While the IB defines these traits extremely well, the expectations of all Eagles is to be reflective and open-minded communicators who take control of their learning in partnership with their parents, teachers and the AIS-R community. We simply ask all of our students to Learn With Us! AIS-R’s student body represents 58 nationalities. The three largest groups are passport holders from the USA, Canada and Saudi Arabia. The multiple nationalities and backgrounds of students are shared and celebrated in various ways at AIS-R. The language of instruction is English, though most students are multilingual. The student body represents a wide range of linguistic and cultural backgrounds. See our amazing students in action HERE!
Teaching and Learning:
AIS-R offers learners an enriched American-international curriculum from Pre-K to grade 12. The curriculum is developed in alignment with the Common Core, American Education Reaches Out (AERO) and national association's standards. AIS-R also offers the International Baccalaureate Organization's Diploma Program.
Learning goals are clearly defined in all areas, and learning activities are strategically developed to both support and challenge individual student needs and aspirations. Instruction in all areas encourages students to think creatively, reason critically, and communicate effectively. Technology, utilizing our campus-wide wireless internet access, is taught and integrated throughout our program. Both academically and socially, AIS-R’s students are prepared to meet the challenges of a university education and of the future world of work. In conjunction with academics, AIS-R guides and supports students in becoming responsible, productive and ethical world citizens through the AIS-R EAGLE Honor Code: E-Ethical, A-Adaptable, G-Global, L-Learning, and E-Environmental.
AIS-R is moving toward an enriched and innovative teaching and learning model, where student experiences and learning approaches are individualized and personalized. AIS-R educators are working on creative and adaptive ways of working with kids, so that they can reach their potential through e-portfolios, sharing with fellow students, personal reflection of and for learning, independent as well as collaborative group work, technology integration, explicit teaching, character development and much more.
The Assistant Superintendent Position
AIS-R seeks a dynamic Assistant Superintendent, with the following attributes and qualifications:
- A love of learning; an empathetic and caring heart!;
- Mission and values driven;
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, and communication skills;
- A growth mindset;
- Proven ability to engage, inspire, and support colleagues;
- Ability to motivate and collaborate with faculty and the Leadership Team;
- Proven experience as a principal and/or senior administrator;
- Considerable classroom K-12 teaching experience;
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills;
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable;
- Advanced technology skills;
- Self-motivated, energetic, creative and fun;
- Master's Degree (Educational Administration/Curriculum/Leadership).
Successful implementation of the AIS-R Mission in concert with school beliefs, parameters, and objectives. Through collaboration with the Superintendent, the Assistant Superintendent will provide leadership for learning at AIS-R. The Assistant Superintendent will be responsible for ensuring the successful implementation of AIS-R’s strategic initiatives to fulfill the school’s mission and vision, as well as providing support to the Superintendent in other key initiatives.
- Assists the Superintendent in the development and implementation of the Leadership Team processes;
- Assists the Superintendent in leading and directing school-wide and strategic initiatives;
- Oversees and collaborates with the Learning Office and provides support to administrative leaders in the area of adult and student learning;
- Leads all child/teacher protection initiatives;
- Aids in the development, implementation and maintenance of expectations regarding student participation and travel within AIS-R Athletics and Activities offerings;
- Models and promotes the AIS-R Code of Conduct, Learning Principles, etc.
- Uses and analyzes data to promote student achievement and school improvement;
- Coaches administrative leaders;
- Works effectively with all members of the school community;
- Provides direction in, and maintains up-to-date knowledge of, educational innovation and its application in the international context, and participates in ongoing learning to enhance professional skills and improve the school’s work towards its vision;
- Liaises with parents and division administrators on issues of concern in a way that leads to successful resolution;
- Engages in systems thinking and problem solving;
- Maintains a visible and engaged presence in classrooms and at extracurricular events;
- Assists in successful recruitment processes;
- Is “Acting Superintendent” when Superintendent is off campus
Salary and Benefits:
The successful candidate will be offered a highly competitive salary and benefits package for an initial three year contract.
Please send your application package, in either a linked portfolio or a single PDF attachment, to Mike Laird, HR Director, firstname.lastname@example.org and cc Dr. Brian Matthews, Superintendent, email@example.com by September 30, 2015.
- Letter of application (1 page)
- Statement of Leadership and Educational Philosophy (1-2 pages)
- Resume (2 pages)
- List of Four Confidential Referees (email & mobile)
- A link to your ePortfolio, photo spread, or video of you/your work (optional)
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.