< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 14, 19
Feb 9, 20
Director of Early Learning Center 2020-2022
The American School of Dubai (ASD) is a college-preparatory, Pre-K through grade 12, independent, not for profit American curriculum school, offering what is best about American education to provide learning experiences designed to promote the maximum potential of its students.
Our Mission Statement
We challenge and inspire each student to achieve their dreams and to become a passionate learner prepared to adapt and contribute in a rapidly changing world.
ASD is located in a residential area within Dubai, the global business and cultural hub of the United Arab Emirates. The ASD campus is a 23-acre, million square foot, wireless, state-of-the- art facility and includes spaces designed to promote phenomenal learning experiences for approximately 1900 students, representing over 70 nationalities. The campus offers 100 classrooms, two libraries, multi-purpose rooms , a 630-seat performing arts theatre, a black box theatre, a field house, indoor and outdoor running tracks, a climbing wall, regulation soccer fields, playing fields and play areas, a dance studio, fitness center, two 25-meter swimming pools, six tennis courts and two cafeterias. The facilities provide for band and choir, offers five art studios, nine science labs, three maker/STEAM labs and a student-broadcasting studio.
Teaching and Learning at ASD
Learning is at the heart of the ASD experience. To support the rich and dynamic relationship between teacher and student, ASD provides guidance and support to faculty by fostering an environment of collaborative professional practice. The faculty work in teams and departments in support of continuous student learning. ASD fosters dialogue around research supporting the best practices in curriculum alignment, assessment and instruction. ASD is committed to student-centered approaches to learning and assessments in accordance with the ASD Learning Principles, valuing inquiry, creativity, collaboration, and collegiality.
At ASD, students remain a primary focus as evidenced by our bold strategic plan – mobilizing us to make disruptive change in areas such as community service (e.g. volunteerism), meeting the diverse learning needs of students (e.g. inclusion) and deepening our relationship with metrics (e.g. using data to inform instruction). As we consider the work ahead, we are also exploring opportunities to personalize learning by developing “pathways” through the ASD curriculum, where students can go deeper in areas of interest or future-relevant disciplines. It is truly exciting work and an exciting time to be at ASD.
The American School of Dubai is seeking a dynamic and passionate educator for the role of Director of Early Learning Center to provide academic and administrative leadership to this new facility and program. The ideal candidate will be a caring and thoughtful individual, experienced in leading a school towards the school’s strategic vision and initiatives, guided by an inclusive mindset to meet the needs of diverse learners. He/she will demonstrate competency as an inspirational and progressive pedagogical leader, strong organizational and management skills and a willingness to collaborate and lead in collaboration with the Elementary School administration in a distributive leadership model. The Director of Early Learning Center will successfully establish the program and guide its development - grounded in what is best about American education in order to create learning experiences designed to promote the potential of each of our students.
The successful candidate will support the school’s mission and core values with a proven track record of success as a pedagogical leader and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills. The Director of the Early Learning Center reports to the Elementary School Principal and will serve as a member of the ASD Learning Cabinet team.
The primary areas of responsibility of the Director of Early Learning Center include:
- Support the school’s development of and progress in the Strategic Plan
- Model the Mission and Core Values
- Assist in the general supervision of students and maintain discipline throughout the student body
- Prepare the early learning center budget, schedule, and assign rooms to classroom teachers
- Assume responsibility for the daily operations and all aspects of the early learning center
- Work in collaboration with the Elementary School Admin team to establish and maintain the early learning center and elementary school’s communication function
- Supervise the reporting and monitoring of student attendance in the ELC
- Schedule and attend regular meetings of teacher teams and departments
- Supervise early learning center faculty, staff and substitutes
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, employees, school administration and staff, contract service providers, parents, and community representatives.
- Possess a clear instructional vision for teaching and learning with a disposition for continual learning.
- Deep understanding of early literacy and standards for kindergarten readiness and kindergarten
- Be an enthusiastic and consistently strong practitioner with a sound knowledge and understanding of early years/primary education
- Model, challenge and assist our students to become intellectually adept, thoughtful and ethical contributors to a global society
- Assist in implementing educational policies and objectives that offer what is best about American education in order to provide an educational experience designed to promote the maximum potential of each student
- Develop the leadership capabilities of teachers so that instructional leadership becomes a shared responsibility
- Contribute in creating an efficient, productive and caring atmosphere where all students and staff have opportunities to be recognized for their best efforts
- Have a personal commitment to seek constant professional learning and professional growth; to also be a life-long learner
- Coach, manage, mentor and challenge others to excel, meet high standards of performance and meet student achievement outcomes
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Student-centered decision-maker
- Understands and appreciates the importance of diversity
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrates integrity in all aspects of life
- Gives evidence of excellent listening skills
- Capable of making and communicating decisions
- Develops and sustains trust amongst all constituents
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent collaborator
- Sense of humor
- Master's degree in early childhood, elementary education/curriculum or educational administration.
- Current certification in Elementary School Education or equivalent
- A minimum of five years experience as an Elementary School teacher
- Demonstrated record of successful school leadership experience
- Excellent organization and management skills
- Experience implementing an Early Years/Elementary School Program
- North American certification
- Master's Degree (administration preferred)
- Prior experience in a related role
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is highly competitive and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include housing, health insurance, life insurance, home leave, shipping-in and shipping-out allowances, retirement contributions and on-going professional development opportunities.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis, therefore early application submission is strongly encouraged. Decisions will be made as soon as a candidate has been identified and deemed to be the best fit for ASD.
If you are a registered member with SEARCH Associates, please submit your interest and application directly through this platform.
If you are not a registered member, please apply through the online application portal which can be found on the ASD website.
Please visit our website to learn more about the school.
Background checks will be conducted on ALL successful candidates as a condition of employment.