< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 13, 20
Dec 11, 20
School: American School Hong Kong
6 Ma Chung Road, Tai Po, Hong Kong
Position: Principal, Elementary School
Start Date: July 26, 2021
American School Hong Kong (ASHK), a not-for-profit, college preparatory international school located in Tai Po in the New Territories opened in 2016 for students from Kindergarten (age 5) to grade 6. As part of the school's development plan, one additional grade level was offered each year and will continue until the school reaches the full complement of grades in 2022/23. In 2021/22, the school’s secondary school program will be up to grade 11.
ASHK is operated by Esol Education, a premium international education organization, with 40 years of expertise in establishing and operating international American schools worldwide. Currently, 11,000 students attend Esol’s ten schools across three continents.
ASHK has been granted initial accreditation status by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), and by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). In addition, ASHK is a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme and is pursuing authorization to offer the program beginning in 2021/22.
At ASHK, our mantra is focused on high expectations of ourselves and high expectations for the students who enter our school community. The combination of a welcoming and safe environment, skilled and inspirational teachers, and supportive parents, makes for great learning and a rich, rewarding atmosphere. We are committed to building a learning community where care and respect for one another is of paramount importance. We are committed to providing a balanced and holistic program with equal emphasis on the intellectual, social, creative, and physical domains.
To provide a challenging American and international education that empowers students to be independent critical thinkers and responsible global citizens who excel in their future studies and careers.
To be widely recognized as a welcoming global community where creativity and innovation equip students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to achieve their fullest potential.
English is the language of instruction and communication at the school. The US Common Core (Math and English), Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), American Education Reaches Out Standards (AERO), along with other best-practice international frameworks, provide the foundation for learning from KG through to grade 10. Teachers integrate a STEAM program in the elementary division.
The International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB DP) will be available for grade 11/12 students beginning in 2021/22.
American School Hong Kong seeks to appoint a Principal for the elementary school division. Reporting to the School Director, the Principal will assist with the development and delivery of an integrated, holistic, well-organized, and enjoyable teaching and learning program.
As a member of the school’s Senior Administrative Team, the Principal will contribute to the development of the school’s mission/vision strategy and the establishment of a broad set of policies and procedures in support of the mission/vision.
The Principal will assume significant responsibility for curriculum review, development, and implementation in the elementary school. As a collaborative and welcoming school leader, the Principal will also make meaningful contributions toward building a strong sense of community and positive culture within the school.
- In collaboration with other members of the administrative team, ensure that the intent of the school’s Mission and Vision statements are manifest in all areas of the school’s curriculum and organizational plan
- Support teachers in their development, understanding and implementation of the curriculum
- Develop timetables, schedules and procedures/protocols to ensure the effective delivery of educational services
- Review professional growth plans and conduct teacher evaluations as needed
- Identify teacher training needs and plan and deliver professional development activities in accordance with the school’s curriculum plan and pedagogical and assessment frameworks
- Lead parent information sessions and help parents achieve a clear understanding of the nature of the program
- Supervise development of the elementary school master timetable and liaise with all teachers accordingly.
- Oversee assessment and reporting procedures and proof and edit reports as required
- Work with the School Director, and elementary school teachers to ensure compliance with all WASC/MSA authorization requirements
- Take a positive and proactive approach to student academic, behavioral, and emotional development
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and practices dealing with behavior expectations, discipline and attendance
- Assist with the organization of extra curricular activities (ECA’s)
- Assist with the procurement of equipment and resources for the program
- Assist with the development of the orientation program for new and returning teachers
- Assist with the recruitment of faculty as required
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director
Required and Preferred Qualifications and Experiences:
- A learning-focused leader who is able to successfully communicate an inspiring vision for continuous improvement across all aspects of the elementary school operation
- Experience with and/or knowledge of American curriculum
- Experience with and/or knowledge of the following practices, programs or pedagogical approaches: STEAM Focus; Teachers College Reading and Writing Project (TCRWP); Eureka Math (EngageNY); concept and inquiry-based; standards-based assessment; technology integration; Atlas Rubicon; PowerSchool; MAP.
- Graduate degree in educational leadership and/or curriculum development
- At least 3 years experience as either an Assistant Principal or Principal preferably at an American International School
- Exceptional communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- A positive, caring, community-minded team player with a passion for elementary school education
Compensation and Benefits:
American School Hong Kong offers an initial contract term of two years (renewable). The salary and benefits package will be competitive within Asia. Benefits include a gratuity upon successful completion of the contract, housing allowance, relocation allowance, medical insurance, tuition subsidy for dependent children, and a professional development allowance.
Applications should be received by December 11, 2020. The following application materials are required:
- Expression of interest
- A current CV and the contact details of 3 professional referees (at least one from a supervisor at your current school)
- One-page statement of educational philosophy and leadership style
Include all documents in a single PDF file and forward by email to:
American School Hong Kong