< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 15, 20
Nov 1, 20
Our purpose is to engage our diverse school community in the pursuit of educational excellence and success for all students.
THE SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY
Benjamin Franklin International School (BFIS) has been a leading international Nursery to 12th grade school in Barcelona, Spain for over 30 years. Founded by parents and teachers passionate about education, it remains true to its original mission, creating a highly supportive and stimulating learning community to foster each student’s love of learning and intellectual development
BFIS is an independent, non-profit, co-educational day school, offering a rich and differentiated American and international curriculum up through 10th grade, with the IB Diploma Program offered in the final two years. English is the primary language of instruction. The school prides itself on its small class sizes and its strong academic programs, including additional language programs and learning support. The three divisions of the school are: Elementary School (Nursery to Grade 5); Middle School (Grades 6-8); High School (Grades 9-12). The High School program focuses on the IB program and boasts strong results with a pass rate of 99.3% over the past five years. Each year BFIS graduates are accepted into prestigious colleges and universities throughout the world.
The school seeks to develop key values in our students including joy, hard work, lifelong learning, shared responsibility and cultural diversity. We embody these values each day through our 3 C’s: Character, Community, and Curriculum. BFIS maintains a
highly diverse student body through an admissions policy which strives to maintain an enrollment balance of 1/3 American, 1/3 local and 1/3 international. Enrollment in the 2020-2021 academic year is 670 students, representing over 51 nationalities. Staff and the 110-member faculty represent some 20 nationalities. BFIS takes pride in its welcoming, inclusive community with an active Parent-Teacher Association which supports numerous all-school celebrations, events and initiatives throughout the year
BFIS is fully accredited by the US Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), the Spanish Ministry of Education and The International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO), and has full membership in the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), and the Mediterranean Association of International Schools (MAIS).
BFIS is located in one of the most beautiful cities and countries in the world. Barcelona is filled with culture, language and adventure. The opportunities to travel throughout Europe, and the world, are easy and affordable. Some of the most famous beaches and mountains in the world are very easily accessible in an evening or on a weekend by public transit, car or train. Beautiful weather and incredible food, combined with an open and welcoming local population, make Barcelona a very attractive location,
BFIS is presently looking for the ideal ES Principal to join our community.
ES PRINCIPAL JOB DESCRIPTION
BFIS is at an exciting moment in our history. We are looking for a committed Elementary Principal to continue our forward momentum and oversee the next phase of the development of the Elementary School (Grades EC-5) and it’s 320 students. This person must be an exceptional leader, who will work hand-in-hand with school leadership, faculty and staff to take BFIS to its next level, continuing program improvements and development to keep the school at the forefront of international education.
- Embody, manifest and advocate the mission of the school.
- Strategically identify needs and develop a long-term plan for the ES.
- Dynamically lead and continuously improve the school.
- Build a strong sense of cohesiveness and collaboration among a diverse community of teachers, staff, parents and students.
- Provide educational leadership to develop, evaluate, and continuously improve the educational program, activities, and extra-curricular programs at BFIS.
- Represent the school locally and internationally and be a champion for the school in both internal and external communication.
- Manage and develop a strong faculty, actively supervise all matters regarding employment, performance evaluation, personnel, and job assignments.
- Work collaboratively with the operations team, managing facilities, capital acquisitions, oversee the ES responsibilities of the Facilities Master Plan, prepare and present the annual ES budget, and operate the elementary school within approved budget guidelines.
- Implement the new 5-year strategic plan.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Degree in Educational Administration, or equivalent, with a demonstrated interest in keeping at the forefront of educational trends.
- Experience as an ES teacher.
- Experience as Principal or Assistant Principal in an international setting.
- Experience in an American educational setting or with an American curriculum.
- An assertive and decisive problem solver.
- A strategic thinker, with experience implementing strategic plans.
- Proven track record of success in hiring, leading, retaining, and managing faculty.
- Interest in a long-term commitment to the school.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to lead a diverse school community of teachers, staff, parents and students.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, able to be a strong public “face” of BFIS.
- Excellent people manager, capable of building and motivating a cohesive team and challenging them to excel.
- An accessible, open, and transparent leader.
- Fluent English speaker, with conversational Spanish.
- Flexibility, a smile, and a sense of humor.
To apply please submit the following documents in one pdf:
- A cover letter;
- A full CV/résumé;
- A statement of educational philosophy;
- The names and contact information of four professional referees;
All application should be sent to Colin Boudreau, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org by the due date of November 1st, 2020. BFIS reserves the right to close the search early should an outstanding candidate be identified.
Although we thank every candidate for their interest, only those selected for the semi final round will be contacted. We thank you for your interest in Benjamin Franklin International School.