< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Head of School
Tohoku International School (Japan)
Feb 19, 19
Mar 22, 19
Tohoku International School
Seeks: Head of School
Start Date: August 2019
Application Deadline: March 22, 2019
Overview of the School
Tohoku International School (TIS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 day school located in a residential community in the outskirts of Sendai. The current population is 130 students representing approximately 30 nationalities. We are expected to grow significantly in the next 5 years. TIS is the only fully accredited K-12 international school, on the main island of Honshu, north of Tokyo region.
TIS is divided into two divisions: Elementary (Kindergarten to Grade 6) and Secondary (Grade 7-12). The Elementary school offers the IB PYP Programme, while the Secondary school offers a program of learning based on a blend of international standards from leading worldwide curricula.
TIS is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC – International Division), and is a member of good standing with the East Asia Council of Schools (EARCOS) and the Japan Council of International Schools (JCIS).
MISSION, VISION and CORE VALUES
Mission Statement: TIS is a community of learners preparing for life in an evolving global society.
Vision Statement: Influencing Tomorrow by Inspiring Today
Core Values: TIS Students are Responsible, Open Minded, Communicators, Risk Takers and Knowledgeable.
TIS prides itself on its community. An active Parent Teacher Association is a strong partner in learning at TIS. They take an active role in many schoolwide events such as: Halloween Festival, After School Activity Snack Club, and our annual whole school musical.
The Head of School represents and promotes TIS within the community of Sendai, the prefecture of Miyagi and the greater region of Tohoku.
Sendai is the largest city in the Tohoku Region of Japan. It is a world-class city with a population of approximately 1.5 million. The city is bordered by mountains to the west and the ocean to the east. Plenty of outdoor activities are available, as well as opportunities for various cultural events.
Qualifications For The New Head of School at TIS:
Preferred qualifications for this position are as follows
- A proven record of outstanding educational leadership in the capacity of key administrator in Primary/Secondary education
- A strong work ethic and excellent organizational and administrative skills
- An abundance of energy, initiative, vision, drive, imagination, stamina and good health
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills gained in an educational environment
- Outstanding leadership abilities in motivating, inspiring and challenging both staff and students in order to strengthen and promote the mission and bring to life the values of TIS
- Demonstrated ability to nurture and extend the collaboration and partnership between students, staff, board members, parents and the wider community
- Cross-cultural openness and understanding, together with a willingness to become part of the local community in order to promote the school’s interests
- Fluency in English and Japanese (if possible)
- Prior international administrative experience, diverse experience is an asset
- Appreciation of and desire to live and work in a multicultural atmosphere and flexibility in adapting to a new culture
- Ability to create imaginative and vigorous "marketing" strategies to help attain growth
- Ability to multitask and keep on top of many important challenges simultaneously
- Ability to design realistic budgets and adhere to them
- Ability to recruit and retain an excellent faculty
- Evidence of ability to supervise, motivate, inspire and evaluate staff effectively
- Candidate must be honest and direct, welcome participation of faculty and parents, and be capable of making difficult decisions
- Experience delivering and managing International Baccalaureate Programmes
- Intricate knowledge and experience in the WASC accreditation cycle
- Advanced degree in educational leadership a distinct advantage
Salary and Benefits
The salary and benefits package is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The deadline for applications is March 22, 2019.
A review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Finalists will be selected, and contacted by the Search Committee. TIS reserves the right to hire the right person before the final deadline; apply early.
Candidates should send the information listed below as a single PDF file attached to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of application explaining your strengths as a candidate and your interest in the Head of School position at Tohoku International School
- A statement describing your management and educational philosophy (one page maximum)
- A current résumé/CV
- A one-page list of five references with current addresses, phone numbers, SKYPE and email contacts
- A maximum of four letters of references that may already be in your possession
The starting date for this role is Aug 1, 2019.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.
Please note this school is not a registered member of Search Associates.