< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Ms. Debbie Coomber
Jan 2, 14
Khartoum International Community School
Seeks a New Head of Seniors
Effective August 2014
Khartoum International Community School (KICS) is seeking a new Head of Seniors to join our community in August 2014. This is a key role in our school at an important point in our school’s development. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on our school’s educational journey as we head into our second decade of service to the internationally minded community of Khartoum.
Khartoum International Community School is a prestigious not-for-profit private school serving the needs of the international community of Khartoum as well as the internationally minded members of the local community. The school enjoys a spacious and well-resourced purpose-built campus on the southern edge of Khartoum. KICS is proud to be the first IB World School in the Sudan having achieved PYP and IB Diploma authorization in 2007 and CIS accreditation in 2010. The student body from Nursery (Pre-K) to Year 13 (Grade 12) currently stands at 392 and consists of approximately 50% Sudanese students, many having returned from abroad attracted by the nation’s development and the availability of a high quality international education. The remaining 50% are expatriate students, mainly from diplomatic, senior business and NGO backgrounds. The school is organized into two Sections, each occupying very well resourced and purpose built accommodation on a single landscaped campus: the Primary Section, Little KICS-Year 6 (US Pre-K-Grade 5) and the Senior Section, Years 7-13 (US Grades 6-12). Each Section has its own Head who is the Section’s educational, instructional and organizational leader. The two Heads form the core of the School Leadership Team and report directly to the School Principal.
KICS is considered to be the international school of choice in the Sudan, and has rapidly established itself as an institution that values academic achievement, whilst ensuring balance and breadth of opportunities, with a concerted emphasis on sports, the arts and Service Learning alongside very active extra curricular and outdoor education programmes.
Khartoum is a city widely considered to be the safest in Africa. Its position at the confluence of the Blue and White Niles, and at the crossroads of Africa and the Middle East, has historically been the most fascinating aspect of its identity and makes it unique on the continent. A quiet city, Khartoum and the immediate vicinity has plenty to occupy those preferring to follow the path less trodden and/or willing to contribute to the development of the community. Darfur and the troubles in the more provincial areas of Sudan are a world away from life in the capital city, having little or no impact on the safe and harmonious character of daily life in Khartoum.
School Development and Affiliation
KICS is fully accredited by the Council of International Schools. In addition, the school is proud to be an active member of the Association of International Schools in Africa, with the current Head of School serving on the AISA Board of Directors.
Responsibilities of the Head of Seniors
The Head of Seniors is responsible for all aspects of the programme and day-to-day operations across Year 7 to Year 13 (US Grades 6-12). Specifically, he or she:
- Serves as the Senior Section’s educational, instructional and organizational leader
- Ensures the implementation and successful development of the school’s programmes
- Provides a safe and supportive environment in which all students feel inspired, challenged and valued
- Supervises, evaluates and develops the Senior Section faculty
- Oversees and manages the Senior Section budgetary process
- Manages the change process in the Senior Section
- Facilitates a vision for continual growth of students, staff and programme
- Represents the Senior Section as a member of the School Leadership Team
- Serves as the Senior Section’s public face in the KICS and wider communities
- Fundamentally student centered and committed to pastoral care
- Innovative, creative and passionate about helping young people grow and learn
- Successful experience in implementing and managing positive change
- Committed to the application of best practice in curriculum, assessment, pedagogy and data-driven decision-making
- Experienced and knowledgeable about IGCSE and the IB Diploma programme
- Values and encourages excellence in him/herself as well as all KICS students, staff members and programmes
- Has served for 5 or more years as a successful teacher at secondary school level
- Has proven success as a secondary school administrator
- Collegial, open, forward looking and proactive
- Is a responsible advocate for students, faculty, staff, and families
- Technologically literate and well versed in technology integration for learning as well as for school administration and communication
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Models a collaborative and supportive approach to problem solving but has steel in the soul when needed
- Is a flexible team player
- Internationally minded and sensitive to the needs of a multicultural community
Salary and Benefits
The successful candidate will be appointed on an initial three year renewable contract. KICS offers a highly competitive package which, in addition to an attractive overseas tax-free salary, includes the following comprehensive benefits: relocation allowance; BUPA Gold healthcare; free, fully furnished accommodation with paid utilities; annual flights to home of record; annual mid-year R&R flight allowance; a car for business and personal use; a school-issue laptop and mobile phone; initial settling-in allowance; additional local living allowance; free education at the school for up to two dependents; annual personal professional development allowance and paid conference attendance; end of service bonus. The starting salary, payable in sterling pounds, will be discussed at interview.
Candidates should send the information requested below by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF. Please do not send any information other than that which is specifically requested.
- A letter of application, no longer than one page, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this particular position
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages
- A one or two-page statement outlining educational beliefs, leadership style and what you feel could change about the way schools have traditionally operated
- Contact details of three or four professional referees
- A recent passport-style photo.
We will accept applications until we fill the position. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
KICS is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.