< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Dec 9, 14
Jan 16, 15
Singapore American School
High School Deputy Principal
SAS is committed to providing each student with an exemplary American education. Central to that work are our six "Institutional Commitments". We are seeking faculty and staff who subscribe to these ideals and who wish to collaborate, innovate, and make a positive difference within the SAS community. Our Institutional Commitments are:
1. Great Teaching and Learning - Every Student, Every Day
2. Common, Guaranteed, Viable Curriculum
3. Evidence of Learning through the use of Data
4. Integration of Technology
5. Healthy Organizational Culture
6. Participation in Professional Learning Communities
The high school deputy principal will be responsible for facilitating the successful implementation of SAS strategic initiatives in grades 9-12 in order to fulfill the school’s mission and vision. To this end, the high school deputy principal is charged with overseeing delegated elements of the SAS academic program from grades 9-12, providing a clear focus on student learning and achievement. This individual will lead and directly supervise faculty and classified staff in the development and implementation of critical strategic initiatives. In co-ordination with the high school principal and other deputy principal, s/he will also provide leadership in all areas of teaching. This includes curriculum & instruction, educational technology, student assessment and use of data, and learning support. The high school deputy principal will build strong relationships with students and mentor them towards academic success and social emotional well being.
Leading the Learning
As directed by the high school principal:
- Articulate the vision for teaching and learning at SAS, support the vision with short and long-term plans for the high school, and sustain a culture conducive to continuous improvement across the high school division.
- Support coherent and consistent learning experiences for students by ensuring commonalities in the areas of content, skills, dispositions and expectations throughout and across grade levels
- Support coherent and consistent learning experiences for students by ensuring the use of authentic, meaningful assessment tools and that common assessments are utilized between sections of the same grade level
- Improve student learning within the high school by supporting the ongoing collection, analysis, and use of information about student learning (both qualitative and quantitative) to identify next steps in learning, intervention strategies, curriculum adaptations, etc.
- Lead learning-focused and collaborative high school teams in line with the SAS strategic plan, using structures and resources provided. Build effective teams through recruitment, orientation, coaching, mentoring, and professional learning.
- Provide leadership in the organization, delivery, and evaluation of PLCs across the high school. Oversee the continued development of professional learning communities to foster a common PLC culture across the system. Supervise goal-setting processes for high school PLCs to assist with establishing professional learning opportunities to support the work of faculty members and divisions.
- Provide direction in and maintain up-to-date knowledge of educational reform and its application in the high school context, and participate in on-going training to enhance professional skills and improve the school’s work towards its vision. Serve as an instructional leader role model.
Managing the Learning
As directed by the high school principal, manage the time, energy and work of the high school to have optimum impact on student learning. This will include:
- Manage meetings and communications within the high school in order to have the maximum impact on student learning
- Manage SAS aligned curricular information and its availability to have the optimum impact on student learning, in coordination with the Office of Learning
- Provide leadership and effective supervision for staff members assigned to the division in order to stimulate each individual’s growth and improve instructional effectiveness (inclusive of regular classroom visitations)
- Facilitate and develop positive and effective communication and relationships in a complex environment with the various constituents of the community including parents, students, faculty, division leadership, and central administration, as well as the international school network at large
- Provide for health, safety, and welfare of students and staff to ensure the development and enhancement of a safe school environment, including overseeing high school discipline.
- Recognize and strengthen personal performance through self-analysis of actions, participating in professional development activities, exploring educational research, participating in professional organizations, and through formal renewal programs.
- Perform other related duties and assume other responsibilities as assigned by the high school deputy principal or superintendent.
Supervisor: This position reports directly to the High School Principal.
Terms of Employment: The successful candidate will be offered a two-year initial administrative contract, with subsequent year-to-year contracts dependent upon demonstrated achievement towards annual goals.
- Advanced Degree in Educational Administration
- Administrator Certification
- At least 5 years of successful teaching experience
- Proven track record of successful leadership as a principal, deputy principal, or teacher leader
- Excellent interpersonal skills, facilitation skills, and communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of research-proven pedagogical practices, including professional learning communities (PLCs), Response-to-Intervention, and standards-based assessment/grading/reporting
- Technology expertise, with a strong understanding of the role of technology in 21st century learning environments
- Experience leading major school initiatives from conception to completion
- Ability to motivate and collaborate with other administrators, teachers, and leadership team members
- Results-oriented, with demonstrated skill in using data to inform and improve student learning and school programs
- Self-motivated, energetic, and creative
Interested and qualified candidates should complete our on-line application via the following link.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.