< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 22, 19
Dec 31, 19
JOB TITLE: High School Principal
The High School Principal serves as the High School’s educational leader in creating a Highly Effective and Learning Progressive school in order to ensure that all students learn and engage at the highest level. S/he is responsible for initiating and implementing policies and procedures that ensure a collaborative learning environment that meets the approved curricula and mission of the school.
Leadership at ICS requires that the School Principal collaborate with all members of the school staff and communicate effectively with parents. Inherent in the position are the responsibilities for, academic leadership, teacher recruitment, student discipline, parent communication, scheduling, curriculum development, extracurricular activities, personnel management, emergency procedures, and facilities management.
Standards of Excellence for the ICS High School Principal:
- Inspires teachers to facilitate optimal student learning.
- Inspires students to become inquirers.
- Responsible to ensure that there is an outstanding teacher in every classroom, every day.
- Leads and interacts in ways which demonstrate a knowledge of and sensitivity to the culture of transition and mobility characteristics of international schools.
- Leads a curricular system based on the most recent understanding about learning and possess skills that address developing, implementing and monitoring curriculum and learner progress.
- Is a ‘leader of learning’ who fosters a vision and practical culture of maximum achievement and development of potential for the full range of diverse learners.
- Strengthens and connects teaching and learning by promoting professional growth focused on improved student achievement.
- Leads and manages the organization, operations and resources of the high school learning community to provide a productive environment for learning for students.
- Develops and mobilizes resources for active parent-community involvement to improve student achievement and for understanding of the program, goals and standards.
- Models the skills and attitudes of a global citizen.
Reports to: Head of School
Liaises with: All
Direct reports: HS Deputy Principal, HS Teachers, HS Counselor, HS Department heads, Office Admin staff & HS Educational Assistant
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- In collaboration with the other school principals, establish the annual master schedule for instructional programs, ensuring successful learning experiences consistent with the school’s philosophy, mission statement and instructional goals.
- Supervise the instructional programs of the high school, evaluating lesson plans and observing classes on a regular basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with research on learning, child growth and development.
- Participate in the recruitment and orientation of new staff members.
- Ensure student support services are coordinated for those with learning and behavior challenges along with meeting the needs of high achieving learners.
- Ensure changes in the curriculum, instruction, assessment and technologies are implemented in the high school in line with the school’s guidelines.
- Establish procedures for evaluation and selection of instructional materials and equipment, approving all recommendations within the high school.
- Establish procedures for safe storing and integrity of all public and confidential school records. Ensure that student records are complete and current.
- Keep the staff informed and seek ideas for the improvement of the high school.
- Conduct meetings as necessary for the proper functioning of the school.
- Embody the ICS Learner Profile personally and professionally, demonstrating the importance and relevance of learning, accepting responsibility, and demonstrating pride in the education profession.
- Carry out supervisor responsibilities in accordance with the ICS policies and practices in interviewing, training, planning, assigning, directing work, observing, counseling, appraising performance, recognizing and disciplining employees and addressing complaints and resolving problems of staff.
- Ensure safety, security and emergency requirements are carried out at the high school in accordance with the guidelines set by ICS.
- Maintain visibility and positive, cooperative relationships with students, teachers, parents and the ICS Board of Governors.
- Communicate regularly with parents, seeking their support and advice, to create a cooperative relationship to support the student in the school.
- Use effective presentation skills when addressing students, staff, parents, and the community including appropriate vocabulary and examples, clear visuals, and articulate and audible speech.
- Understand data and how it is used to drive instruction and evaluate learning.
- Seek feedback from community, faculty and Head of School in order to adjust focus or goals.
- Attend Leadership Team meetings and other meetings as required.
- Notify immediately the Head of School when there is evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions and potential suicide or students appearing to be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
- Keep the Head of School advised of employees not meeting their contractual agreements.
- Facilitate communication, conduct personnel development meetings, present information and delegate responsibility for a variety of administrative and teaching-learning activities as necessary.
- Complete in a timely fashion all records and reports as requested by the Head of School.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of attractive, organized, functional, healthy, clean and safe facilities.
- Attend professional conferences and workshops as agreed with the Head of School.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Master’s degree and certification in school administration
- Successful experience as a teacher in the high school grades
- Five years proven successful experience in educational leadership roles.
- Experience with the IB or Advanced Placement (AP) Programs
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS The successful applicant must have excellent interpersonal, communication, critical thinking and analytical skills, conflict resolution experience, a collaborative management style and have demonstrated organizational and planning abilities in addition to:
- Reasoning ability: ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and interpret a variety of technical instructions.
- Direct experience with Professional Learning Communities
- Experience in a standards-based grading learning environment.
- Experience designing personalized learning experiences for students.
- Understand basic accounting principles.
- Skills and ability to apply school educational and leadership strategies and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the community.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and commitment to working as a member of the Leadership Team
- Demonstrated understanding of current educational trends including effective instructional design and assessment practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of educational uses of software systems
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Demonstrated ability to foster a positive school climate for students, staff and community
The successful candidate will:
- Model the ICS Learner Profile professionally and personally
- Be an optimist with a good sense of humor, compassion, resilience and flexibility
- Display the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel.
- Collaborate, support, empower and engage with administrative colleagues, school staff and other community members
- Work skillfully and sensitively with people from a wide variety of cultures and display a commitment to international mindedness
To apply contact: email@example.com