< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 23, 21
Dec 5, 21
School: American School of Bahrain (ASB)
Position: Principal, Middle/High School (Grades 6-12)
Start Date: August 1, 2022
American School of Bahrain offers a holistic and challenging American and international educational program founded on our pillars of academic excellence, happiness, innovation, international mindedness, balance, and community leadership. With experienced leadership, dedicated and caring educators and state-of-the-art facilities, ASB inspires students to pursue their passions and become lifelong learners. The school opened its doors in September 2020 to 112 students and is projected to have close to 600 students in attendance in September 2022. ASB is a candidate for MSA accreditation with the visiting team tentatively scheduled to visit the school in the fall of 2022. ASB is also an IB DP candidate school with an authorization visit in winter 2022 with the first cohort of IB students graduating in 2024. ASB is operated by Esol Education, which operates exceptional American schools around the world in locations including Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Hong Kong, Cairo, Nicosia and Lebanon.
American School of Bahrain offers a full Pre-KG to Gr 12 college prep curriculum based on US
Common Core (Math and English), Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and American Education Reaches Out (AERO) Standards, delivered by a highly motivated staff of certified and experienced teachers. The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB DP) is offered as an option for students in Grades 11 and 12. Students who do not choose to pursue the full IB Diploma may still earn IB Certificates in specific subjects.
American School of Bahrain seeks to appoint a Principal for the Middle/High School division, which is expected to have 250 students at the beginning of the 2022-23 school year. The school population is expected to grow year on year. Reporting to the School Director, the Principal will assist with the development and delivery of an integrated, holistic, well-organized, and enjoyable teaching and learning program.
The Principal will have overall responsibility for the organizational, operational and academic
functions of the Middle/High School, including working with the Director and other leaders to
recruit, develop and retain outstanding faculty and staff. The Principal will also work with the
Director and fellow school leaders to formulate the school’s strategic plans and programs and
develop a broad set of policies and procedures in support of the strategy.
The Principal will assume significant responsibility for curriculum review, development, and
implementation (CRDI) in the Middle and High School divisions.
As a collaborative and welcoming school leader, the Principal will also make meaningful
contributions toward building a strong sense of community and positive culture within the school.
- While collaborating with other members of the administrative team, ensure that the intent of the school’s Mission and Vision statements are manifest in all areas of the school’s curriculum and organizational plan
- Support academic subject teams in their development, understanding and implementation of the curriculum
- Work with the School Director, IB Coordinator, and Middle/High School teachers to
ensure compliance with all IB Diploma Programme authorization criteria, MSA accreditation requirements and Bahrain ministry regulatory bodies.
- Take a positive and proactive approach to student academic, behavioral, and emotional
- Play a key role in monitoring and evaluating school performance
- Oversee off-campus learning experiences
- Assist with the organization of Extra Curricular Activities (ECA’s)
- Develop timetables, schedules and procedures/protocols to ensure the effective delivery of
- Assist in the development and administration of policies dealing with discipline, conduct, and attendance
- Review professional growth plans and conduct teacher evaluations as required
- Identify teacher training needs and plan and deliver professional development
activities in accordance with the school’s curriculum plan and pedagogical and assessment frameworks
- Oversee assessment and reporting procedures and proof and edit reports as required
- Assist with the procurement of equipment and resources for the program
- Assist with the development of the orientation program for new and returning faculty
- Assist with the recruitment of faculty as required
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership and Principal Certification
- A proven track record in educational leadership, including at least three years of experience as a school administrator at a quality American or international school
- The ability to lead and work collaboratively with a talented team of teachers, administrators and other school personnel
- A strong and outgoing personal presence
- Proven commitment to a well-balanced, rigorous and supportive program that focuses on the whole child
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to reach out to many constituencies
- The flexibility to learn and adapt to new cultures and situations.
Compensation and Benefits:
American School of Bahrain offers an initial contract term of three years (renewable). The salary
and benefits package are competitive. Benefits include a housing allowance, personal car,
relocation allowance, international medical insurance, and free tuition for dependent children.
Applications should be received by December 5, 2021. The following application materials are
required and should be sent as one pdf file:
- Expression of interest
- A current CV with photograph and the contact details of 3 professional referees (at least one from a supervisor at your current school)
- One-page statement of educational philosophy and leadership style
Please send documents to:
Mr. Dave McMaster
Director, American School of Bahrain