< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 13, 19
Sep 15, 19
Middle School Principal
The American School of Dubai (ASD) is a college-preparatory, Pre-K through grade 12, independent, not for profit American curriculum school, offering what is best about American education to provide learning experiences designed to promote the maximum potential of its students.
Our Mission Statement
We challenge and inspire each student to achieve their dreams and to become a passionate learner prepared to adapt and contribute in a rapidly changing world.
ASD is located in a residential area within Dubai, the global business and cultural hub of the United Arab Emirates. The ASD campus is a 23-acre, million square foot, wireless, state-of-the-art facility and includes spaces designed to promote phenomenal learning experiences for approximately 1900 students, representing over 70 nationalities. The campus offers 100 classrooms, two libraries, multi-purpose rooms , a 630-seat performing arts theatre, a black box theatre, a field house, indoor and outdoor running tracks, a climbing wall, regulation soccer fields, playing fields and play areas, a dance studio, fitness center, two 25-meter swimming pools, six tennis courts and two cafeterias. The facilities provide for band and choir, offers five art studios, nine science labs, three maker/STEAM labs and a student-broadcasting studio.
Teaching and Learning at ASD
Learning is at the heart of the ASD experience. To support the rich and dynamic relationship between teacher and student, ASD provides guidance and support to faculty by fostering an environment of collaborative professional practice. The faculty work in teams and departments in support of continuous student learning. ASD fosters dialogue around research supporting the best practices in curriculum alignment, assessment and instruction. ASD is committed to student-centered approaches to learning and assessments in accordance with the ASD Learning Principles, valuing inquiry, creativity, collaboration, and collegiality.
Please visit our website to learn more about the school.
At ASD, students remain a primary focus as evidenced by our bold strategic plan – mobilizing us to make disruptive change in areas such as community service (e.g. volunteerism), meeting the diverse learning needs of students (e.g. inclusion) and deepening our relationship with metrics (e.g. using data to inform instruction). As we consider the work ahead, we are also exploring opportunities to personalize learning by developing “pathways” through the ASD curriculum, where students can go deeper in areas of interest or future-relevant disciplines. It is truly exciting work and an exciting time to be at ASD.
The American School of Dubai is seeking a dynamic and passionate educator for the role of Middle School Principal to provide academic and administrative leadership to the Middle School community. The ideal candidate will be a caring and thoughtful individual, experienced in leading an elementary school towards the school’s strategic vision and initiatives, guided by an inclusive mindset to meet the needs of diverse learners. He/she will demonstrate competency as an inspirational and progressive pedagogical leader, strong organizational and management skills and a willingness to collaborate and lead with an Associate Principal in a distributive leadership model. The Middle School Principal will successfully guide the Middle School in providing what is best about American education in order to create learning experiences designed to promote the potential of each of our students.
The successful candidate will support the school’s mission and core values with a proven track record of success and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills. The Middle School Principal reports to the Associate Superintendent and will serve as a member of the ASD Core Cabinet Team.
The primary areas of responsibility of the Middle School Principal include:
- Provide leadership to the successful implementation of the School’s Strategic Plan.
- Instill a sense of common purpose and shared commitment to the achievement of goals created through shared decision-making processes.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, faculty, colleagues and the community through a variety of methods.
- Ensure that all of the School’s resources are used to serve students and faculty members alike in order to help both to reach their full learning potential.
- Demonstrate the capacity to successfully recruit and retain excellent faculty and staff.
- Assume the responsibility for sound financial management including accurate program budget, planning and ongoing fiscal accountability.
- Assume responsibility for the logistics associated with effectively operating the Middle School to include activities such as building a master class schedule, coordinating program implementation in concert with the Office of Learning and other key stakeholders.
- Participate actively and willingly in committee work specific to program development and decision-making.
- Conduct careful reviews of student admission applications in accordance with policies established by the School.
- Implement Board of Trustees policies and other relevant school policies and procedures and comply with these policies and accompanying administrative regulations.
- Seek the involvement of faculty and parents in a wide variety of school activities and actively promote and support the parent volunteer program.
- Model the importance and necessity in attending after school student activity programs and parent events.
- Serve as a contributing member of the school’s senior leadership team (Core Cabinet).
- Represent the school at regional professional association meetings, relative to the role of the Middle School Principal as needed and/or required.
- Perform other activities as might be required for the general welfare of the School and/or as requested by the Superintendent.
- Challenge and assist our students to become intellectually adept, thoughtful and ethical contributors to a global society.
- Develop educational policies and objectives to support the implementation of a mission aligned curricular program.
- Ensure that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations.
- Assist faculty and staff towards reaching their full potential through performance assessment and mentoring.
- Demonstrate role-model traits that enable others to recognize the Principal as the leader of the Middle School.
- Develop the leadership capabilities of teachers so that instructional leadership becomes a shared responsibility.
- Gather validating information and data that help determine whether curriculum and instructional goals and student performance outcomes are being successfully achieved.
- Provide leadership to the process of further improvement of programs across the Middle school.
- Create an efficient, productive and caring building atmosphere where all students, faculty and staff have opportunities to be recognized for their best efforts.
- Have a personal commitment to seek constant professional learning and professional growth; to also be a lifelong learner.
- Demonstrates a passion and interest in leading disruptive change to develop children's learning experiences
- Committed to service learning experience in schools
- Experience in developing systems that support a Multi-Tiered Systems of Support framework
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Student-centered decision-maker
- Understands and appreciates the importance of diversity
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrates integrity in all aspects of life
- Gives evidence of excellent listening skills
- Capable of making and communicating decisions
- Develops and sustains trust amongst all constituents
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent collaborator
- Current North American teacher and principal certification or equivalent
- Master's Degree (administration preferred)
- Five or more years of previous successful teaching and administrative experience
- Demonstrated record of successful leadership, excellent organization and management skills
- Prior experience with and a commitment to sustaining an American curriculum
- Experience with curriculum development processes
- Five or more years of successful Administrative experience in an international setting
- Experience as an educational leader in a standards-based grading and reporting environment
- Demonstrated experience in applying data to further support and improve student learning
- Models and supports a digital learning environment
- Knowledge and experience with strategic planning
- Previous experience with school accreditation protocols
- Demonstrated success with the recruitment, development and retention of faculty and staff
Salary and Benefits
Salary and Benefits: Salary is highly competitive and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include housing, health insurance, life insurance, home leave, shipping-in and shipping-out allowances, retirement contributions and ongoing professional development opportunities. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply directly through the SEARCH ASSOCIATES platform. Any questions may be directed to email@example.com
Application Deadline: September 15, 2019
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.