< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Middle School Vice Principal
Shanghai American School (China)
Nov 16, 18
Dec 7, 18
TITLE: MIDDLE SCHOOL VICE PRINCIPAL
SALARY SCALE: VP SALARY SCALE
CONTRACT: 210 Days
PRIMARY DUTIES/POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Middle School Principal, the Middle School Vice Principal will assist with administrative responsibilities that increase the scope of support to students, teachers, and parents at the Middle School. The Middle School Vice Principal will primarily work with the Middle School Principal to oversee the middle school programs at SAS.
SUPERVISED, EVALUATED BY AND REPORTS TO: Principal, Middle School
- Master’s Degree in Education, Educational Leadership or Curriculum/Instruction
- Middle school teaching and leadership experience
- Educational leadership experience as a building level director, principal, or assistant principal in a similar size middle school in a similar setting with a similar approach to curriculum and teaching and learning practices
- Experience as a staff developer, teacher trainer, or instructional coach
- Committed to developmentally appropriate practice for young children as defined by the Association of Middle Level Education
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to take a leadership role in a student activity
- Experience in creating master schedules
- Experience in pastoral care programs
- Excellent interpersonal skills which allow the candidate to work effectively with students, parents, teachers, and other administrators
- Commitment to Board of Directors’ vision and ability to support the direction of the school in both words and action
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
Working with Adult Learners
- Develop trusting relationships where participants feel safe and motivated to take risks, to learn and to share
- Develop and facilitate a professional learning environment that is grounded in student learning
- Accept and act on constructive feedback
- Demonstrate excellence in effective instructional coaching strategies
- Demonstrate and support reflective practice
- Develop a collaborative culture (norms, protocols)
- Foster mutual responsibility for all group members’ learning
- Demonstrate high levels of emotional intelligence
- Use effective communication strategies to bring clarity and allow the participants to accomplish tasks
- Give feedback honestly, openly and constructively
- Lead data driven dialogue to develop common understandings and inform action
Knowledge of Content and Pedagogy
- Ensure the alignment of the curriculum standards and expectations in the Middle School
- Support teachers to develop standards-based assessments, evaluate multiple sources of data, and differentiate to meet all students’ learning needs
- Demonstrate excellence in instructional contexts through a repertoire of current effective instructional strategies to engage students in learning
- Provide leadership in the areas of interdisciplinary and inquiry-based learning, unit design (based on UbD), and other SAS instructional frameworks and strategies
- Support use of a variety of instructional technologies to transform student learning
- Create and implement plans to meet system goals and sustainability
- Assists in teacher supervision/evaluation
- Works collaboratively with individual teachers and teacher teams to provide ongoing feedback regarding instructional practice
- Supports professional learning by:
- Leading teachers to collect, interpret, and use formative assessment data, systematically examine student work, and define next steps for differentiation and intervention
- Leading teachers in assessment and reporting of standards and benchmarks
- Supporting teachers in identifying and achieving professional growth goals
- Leading teachers to effectively use technology to assess student learning, differentiate instruction, and provide rigorous, relevant, and engaging learning experiences for all students.
- Improving upon professional practice via a wide variety of strategies such as leading workshops, doing model lessons, etc.
- Work with administration to:
- Evaluate and develop ways in which we can better support the future of learning the Middle School o Promote the development of vertical and horizontal articulation and coherence of student learning o Interpret the SAS educational program to teachers, parents, and community
- Assist in the development of curriculum and oversees the implementation of curriculum and adopted instructional practices
- Serve as administrative representative on various task forces and school-wide initiatives
- Sets an example through appearance, warmth, sincerity, consistency, concern, fairness, tactfulness, etc.
- Any other tasks assigned by building Principal, Deputy Head of School, Head of School
- That each employee makes a significant contribution to our success,
- That contribution should not be limited to the assigned responsibilities.
Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the employee or SAS to only the work identified. It is the expectation of the School that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our organization.
Interested candidates are asked to carefully review the Shanghai American School website at www.saschina.org to learn more about our school, then email a complete application package including:
a) Cover Letter
b) Philosophy of Education
c) Resume or Curriculum Vitae
d) References’ Contact Information
to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 7, 2018.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.