< Back to Leadership Vacancies
YueCheng Parkside Kindergarten (China)
Aug 26, 21
Dec 1, 22
Position announcement: Principal, YueCheng Parkside Kindergarten
An outstanding opportunity to lead a pioneering approach to play-based, child-centred early childhood education in China.
You are an independent thinker and learner looking for a leadership position out of the ordinary. You may already have successful experience as a leader. Alternatively, you may be an experienced early years’ teacher with leadership of teams and programs. Either way, you want to find a pioneering school that is totally dedicated to providing a values-based, future-oriented education that is impossible within the constraints of a conventional international school curriculum. You wish to play a key role in developing that curriculum, year by year. You are a good listener. You know that high quality education demands purposeful collaboration among learners: leaders, teachers, and children. You do not place limits on what can be achieved. You wish to build strong links with the host country community and work within a locally-founded organization that provides outstanding opportunities for career development.
YueCheng Parkside Kindergarten
The beautiful Parkside Kindergarten will open its campus doors in January 2022, although the first group of students joined the YueCheng Courtyard Kindergarten in August 2021. You may please learn more about our kindergartens by visiting www.yuechengkg.com
The YueCheng Parkside Kindergarten is a member institution of YCE, located in the Tongzhou Banbidian area and has been purposefully designed to support and enhance this growing community. Children at Yuecheng Parkside Kindergarten are empowered to enjoy a positive, purposeful, and healthy life, becoming confident and creative learners as they begin their educational journey. A distinctive new landmark of this community will be the inspirational and awe-inspiring park that has been planned adjacent to the Kindergarten.
The kindergarten mission is ambitious. All children will be empowered to enjoy a positive, purposeful and healthy life, becoming confident and creative learners as they begin their educational journey. To this end, the distinctive holistic, child-centred curriculum is now being developed, based on the following foundational principles:
- Planned intergenerational learning opportunities between the children and the citizens of the adjacent YueCheng Banbidian retirement community
- Multi-age learning groups, reflecting the relationships and responsibilities of the members of a family;
- Constructivist learning through investigative play;
- Free-flow learning spaces, inside and out, removing the conventional boundaries that constrain opportunities for young children to learn;
- No boundaries dual-language learning, enabling children to learn to speak, read, and write in either English or Chinese as appropriate to the context;
- Reading as a gateway to life-long learning and pleasure;
- Interactive, developmentally appropriate introduction to logical-mathematical thinking skills;
- Practical immersion in the arts and the development of a sense of beauty;
- The relationship between mind and body and the development of skills for fitness and a healthy lifestyle.
The Principal of YueCheng Parkside Kindergarten is a senior leadership position, with overall responsibility for the campus. He or she will have considerable freedom in implementing the curriculum, which is broadly based on the foundational principles outlined above. The Principal will work in close collaboration with the school’s Chinese Director who will be responsible for government relations and the management of the buildings and facilities. The Principal will also collaborate closely with the YueCheng Chief Academic Officer and the Director of the YueCheng Educational Research Institute (YERI) who provide research and professional development support for all YCE institutions.
The fundamental role of the Principal is to ensure a seamless fusion of the best of China and the world in implementing this pioneering, child-centred, dual language program, which will be taught by teams of expatriate and Chinese teachers.
Prior to assuming duties, the appointee will receive a thorough orientation in the social, academic and cultural considerations that will be important to the successful implementation of this important role.
Reports to: Chief Academic Officer of YueCheng Education
Collaborates with: Director, YueCheng Educational Research Institute; Chinese Director, YueCheng Kindergartens; Principal, YueCheng Courtyard Kindergarten
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Provide overall leadership for the Parkside Kindergarten
- Ensure that the academic program is implemented in alignment with the mission, vision, and values of YueCheng Education and of the YCE kindergartens
- Ensure that the academic program is aligned to the curriculum’s foundational principles (see above)
- Ensure a safe and secure environment for students, teachers, and staff
- Provide inspirational leadership for the education and welfare of the children
- Lead ongoing development of the curriculum, and of the assessment and reporting of student progress
- Lead the professional development of teachers, assistant teachers, and teacher assistants
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with parents in support of student education and welfare
- Provide an ongoing education program for parents
- Implement the enrolment and retention of students in alignment with YCE criteria and guidelines
- Implement the recruitment, orientation, appraisal, motivation and retention of teachers
- Establish and maintain high professional expectations for all teachers and staff
- Ensure the provision of high-quality educational resources
- Support and participate in promotional activities
- Ensure the understanding and implementation of all YCE policies and procedures
- Liaise with the Director of YERI and with the heads of other YCE institutions
- Provide regular reports to the Executive Principal of YueCheng Kindergartens
Qualifications and desired attributes:
- A profound appreciation of the power of education to contribute to the creation of better future;
- Philosophical alignment with YCE’s mission, vision, and values and with the guiding statements of the YueCheng Kindergartens
- Early childhood or pre-school education qualification;
- Minimum 8 years’ experience as an early childhood educator;
- Strong leadership capacity; evidence of effective school leadership preferred
- Experience of and/or commitment to developing a future-oriented curriculum including personalized learning and investigative play;
- Experience of and/or commitment to collaborating in the development and implementation of a bilingual/dual language program for early learners;
- Strong desire to lead in a school which fuses the best of local and international educational principles and practices in order to create something that is better than either;
- Strong desire to work with both local and international teachers and to work in, and facilitate the creation of, collaborative teams;
- Desire to work with local student and parent population;
- Excellence in communicating orally and in writing;
- The ability to gain and maintain the confidence of highly motivated teachers, parents and students;
- High emotional intelligence, including the capacity to respond with compassion and firmness while maintaining the respect of parents, students and colleagues from different cultures;
- A leadership style characterized by inclusiveness, appropriate transparency, approachability and support while remaining decisive and accountable;
- A sense of humor and ability to see the good in all and presume positive intentions;
- Growth mindset;
- Flexible thinking;
- A strong interest in living and working in China.
The attractive salary is commensurate with the seniority of the position. The benefits package includes furnished housing, medical insurance, annual home leave airfare for employee and family, excellent professional development opportunities, and the benefit of belonging to a highly engaged educational team within a warm, caring and innovative community.
An expatriate parent of school-age children will be granted up to two full-fee discounts on places at the YueCheng Courtyard Kindergarten (KG age) or at Beijing City International School, depending on the child’s age and subject to student enrolment criteria and availability.
If you wish to apply for this important leadership position, please send a letter of application and resume / CV as soon as possible to the YCE HR department, at the following address: email@example.com
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed remotely by a panel and thereafter finalists will be invited to the campus for in-person interviews. Due to the ongoing travel restrictions, those finalists who are outside of China will undertake the finalist panel interviews remotely.
Application deadline December 2022
Start date August 2022
YueCheng Education is an equal opportunity employer.
The purpose of YueCheng Education (YCE) is to provide a future-oriented education for the children of Chinese and expatriate families living in Beijing. Founded on a passion to challenge and empower young people to live fulfilling and productive lives, YCE opened Beijing City International School (www.bcis.cn) in 2005. With the support of the YueCheng Education Research Institute (YERI), this innovative school has provided the bedrock for YCE to extend its not-for-profit services to a wider community. The Learning Frontier (www.learningfrontier.cn) provides specialist support for children with learning and developmental needs, and the recently opened Reading Frontier (www.readingfrontier.com) inspires in children a passion for reading for life. The Courtyard Kindergarten (www.yuechengkg.com) will open its doors in October 2019, and two further schools will be opened within the next three years. The strength of YCE lies in the quality of its international and Chinese staff, and the mutual support extended between the different but complementary institutions.
YCE MISSION - YueCheng Education’s mission is to enrich and enhance learning by empowering its member institutions.
YCE VISION - YCE is an educational pioneer of integrated, value-based programs, that inspires passionate, forward-thinking learners committed to the benefit of all.
YCE VALUES - We believe that
• continuous learning empowers growth
• community strengthens us
• embracing diversity enriches us
• each individual has value
• when we serve, it benefits all
YueCheng Education Research Institute – as the academic research and professional training arm of YCE, YueCheng Education Research Institute (YERI) leads research to enhance the educational programs offered by the other constituents of YCE and provides professional development workshops and other professional support for them. It also provides extensive training opportunities for other international, private and national schools in Beijing. Current areas of attention include research and training for the BCIS leadership and faculty as they pioneer the integration of the school’s inquiry-based curriculum with the China national education standards.
The relationship between YERI and the YCE leadership and faculty is one of collaborative symbiosis: YERI provides research and professional development for the YCE leadership and faculty who are, in turn, a major resource in support of the work of YERI.
Beijing City International School (BCIS) - is a non-profit private school that was founded in 2005. Located in Beijing’s Central Business District, Beijing City International School (BCIS) lives by its motto: “Empowering and Inspiring through Challenge and Compassion.” With the approval of the Education Committee of Chaoyang District, Beijing, BCIS acts as a pilot school offering educational reform and innovation through international educational practices that incorporate 15 grades of schooling, from pre-school to Grade 12. The language of instruction at BCIS is English and all of the students also study Chinese, either as a mother tongue or an additional language.
Based on creatively and authentically implementing the Chinese national curriculum, the school curriculum consists of a pre-school program, compulsory education program (Grades 1 to 9), and high school program (Grades 10 to 12), all accredited and authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization. Additionally, BCIS has created an alternative pathway to graduation through our IDEATE program at Grades 11 and 12, which is fully accredited. The school is also accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). As a member of the East Asia Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS), the Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (ACAMIS) and the International Schools Athletic Conference, Beijing-Tianjin (ISAC), the school is an active participant in various activities among the member schools and communities.
The value and strength of the BCIS community comes from the unity and the contributions of a rich and diverse tapestry of the individuals and groups within it. Students, parents, faculty members and support staff are bound together by the mission and motto, working together to achieve the goals, and building a community of empowered and compassionate people acting for the good of all.
More information about BCIS can be found at www.bcis.cn.
The YueCheng Courtyard Kindergarten opened its doors in October 2019. It is a not-for profit kindergarten using a dual language platform, located in Shuang Qiao district, Beijing. The Courtyard Kindergarten welcomes students from the age of one and a half years through to the end of Kindergarten. The exceptional staff are recruited both locally and internationally, motivated by a passion for learning, and for working with young children. The Courtyard Kindergarten creates a warm and caring community, dedicated to ensuring the highest quality outcomes for all of the children in the school.
The Courtyard Kindergarten’s guiding statements describe who the learners will become. These are organized as Learning Impacts, Learning Principles and the Approach to Learning. The program is based on a well-researched curriculum specifically developed for the YueCheng Education Kindergartens. It is designed to be developmentally appropriate, offering significant growth opportunities for children as they progress along the continuum of learning. The Courtyard Kindergarten is a play-based kindergarten, utilizing investigative play as the vehicle for exploration and learning, connected to the curriculum outcomes.
More information can be found at www.yuechengkg.com.
The YueCheng Parkside Kindergarten - is located in Tongzhou district, Beijing next to a sprawling tree-filled public park. The Parkside Kindergarten will open its doors in Jan 2022. The Parkside Kindergarten shares the guiding statements, curriculum and practices of the Courtyard Kindergarten.
Reading Frontier (RF) - The purpose of the Reading Frontier (RF) is to nurture in students a passion for reading and to teach the skills and habits required to maintain this passion throughout life. The program is intended for students aged four to twelve.
RF is an innovative inquiry-based program in which students are motivated to channel their natural curiosity through the guided investigation of topics of great personal interest. In this way, students harness the power of reading to enhance their critical and creative thinking skills. At the end of the program each student applies their new learning by presenting a creative project of their choice.
More information about RF can be found at www.readingfrontier.com
The Learning Frontier (LF) - provides personalized guidance and support services for children and families in China. Bilingual specialists in mental health, education and learning, applied behavior analysis, speech and language and occupational therapy work as a multidisciplinary team to help families better understand the growth and development of children and how to help each child live up to their potential in school and in life. The Learning Frontier team also provides training opportunities for educators so that they can be better partners to children and families.
More information about LF can be found at www.learningfrontier.cn.