< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Joanne Loiterton
Oct 9, 13
Nov 1, 13
Vientiane International School, an IB World School, seeks expressions of interest from suitably qualified applicants for the position of Secondary Principal to commence in August 2014.
At Vientiane International School our mission is to challenge, inspire and prepare learners for life. We provide a safe, respectful, collaborative and sustainable learning environment, a high quality holistic education, empower learners to be internationally-minded global citizens and enrich learning experiences through interaction with the Lao community and our international communities.
Objectives and Outcomes
We provide a safe, respectful, collaborative and sustainable learning environment
- Students have a sense of identity and feeling of belonging, within the VIS community.
- VIS has a respectful, caring and supportive learning environment.
- VIS is a healthy and safe school.
- An environment of collaboration exists.
- Students have an awareness of human rights.
- Sustainable growth and development practices and understandings are followed.
- Parents, teachers and students are actively involved in the process of learning.
We provide a high quality holistic education
- The VIS community demonstrates the IB Learner Profile characteristics and attitudes.
- Students experience a balanced and holistic education.
- VIS delivers the International Baccalaureate, an internationally recognized curriculum.
- Students are challenged and motivated to reach their potential.
- Students are creative and critical independent thinkers with life-long learning skills.
- Students demonstrate intellectual, physical and emotional balance to achieve personal well-being for themselves and others.
We empower learners to be internationally-minded global citizens
- The VIS community is committed to and engaged in community service and action.
- Students are confident and creative builders of the future.
- The VIS community demonstrates intercultural awareness and internationalism.
- Students are able to communicate effectively in more than one language.
We enrich learning experiences through interaction with the Lao community and our international communities
- Students are aware of, understand, and appreciate the culture of Lao PDR.
- The VIS community collaborates with the international and Lao communities.
Vientiane International School (VIS) is an independent, nonprofit, coeducational day school offering an educational program for qualified students, ages 3-18, of all nationalities. VIS is governed by an 8-person Board of Trustees, composed of parents of children attending the School. Board members are elected at the Annual General Meeting of the parent body.
VIS is an International Baccalaureate World School, fully authorized to offer the Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma Programs. The language of instruction is English. The VIS curriculum prepares students for return to schools in their home countries or for moving on to another international school and for entry into college and university. A Co-Curricular program includes sports, cultural studies, and arts and service. VIS offers support for students with mild learning disabilities. The School offers the SAT, and students undertake the Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) and International Schools Assessment (ISA) annually.
VIS is a member of the East Asia Regional Council of Schools and Mekong River International Schools Association and is accredited by both the US-based Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the Council of International Schools (CIS). VIS is the only school in Lao PDR accredited by international agencies.
At the beginning of 2013-2014 school year, there are 50 full-time and 5 part-time teachers, 2 principals, a counselor and director. Total instructional and support staff total more than 85. Of the teaching/administrative faculty, 2 are host country nationals, 16 are Australian, 10 are U.S. citizens, and the remainder are third country nationals. Class sizes average 17 and range from 12 to 22 students per class. Enrollment was 450 (3 year-olds–18 year-olds). The school is very international in nature with more than 40 nationalities represented and no single nationality greater than 20%. Lao students may enroll and make up approximately 15% of the total student population.
The facility is built for a capacity of 550 students. It is a modern, open and inviting facility including science labs, ICT spaces, wireless internet access throughout the campus, 2 music rooms, 2 art rooms, a 400-sq. meter library, and a large cafeteria. Music Practice rooms and Design/Technology spaces are provided for secondary courses. Classes are held in general purpose classrooms and in a variety of small group spaces. There is a medical infirmary on campus. The sports facilities include two basketball courts, one of which is a stadium, 2 football (soccer) pitches, a swimming pool and fitness complex.
Further information on the school can be found on the website at www.vislao.com
The Key Responsibility of the secondary principal is to ensure the delivery of a high quality educational program in line with school policy for the students of grade 6 - 12. Through collaboration as a part of the senior administrative team, the secondary principal will contribute to the formation of policy and procedure, the development and implementation of school wide plans and programmes, and support the professional development of staff. The secondary principal will be responsible for organizing and communicating the secondary educational programme to all members of the VIS community.
Major Duties and Tasks are:
- Foster the continuous improvement of the school’s programs and performance
o Oversee, with Curriculum Coordinators, the secondary curriculum delivery and
review, including programme changes and reauthorizations
o Support and advise staff in effective provision of learning and support services
o Evaluate performance of students, programmes and curriculum.
- Supervise, evaluate and support teaching staff to enhance delivery of the school’s programmes.
o Foster growth, goal setting and professional development through the school
Professional Growth and Evaluation programme
o Support the Director in the recruitment and hiring of faculty
o Assist employees to improve performance and maintain a positive culture
- Ensure effective distribution and use of resources
o Prepare and manage the academic budget for the secondary programme
- Ensure all students work and learn within a safe and respectful environment
o Implement a positive and effective behaviour policy
- Communicate effectively in writing and orally with students, parents and faculty
o Promote a positive attitude toward the school in the school community
o Engage parents in the educational process
o Ensure understanding of school programmes, decisions, plans & information
- Contribute to the development of the whole school through involvement in planning, policy development, and procedural documentation.
The Position Requirements:
- Principal Certification or equivalent
- Advanced degree in educational administration or equivalent
- Skilled and effective communicator
- Leadership experience in development of programmes and/or pedagogy
- Experience in MYP and/or DP will be highly regarded
The salary and benefits package will be regionally competitive and will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Details of the package will be made available to short-listed candidates. The contract is an Administrative Contract with an initial 2 year contract with subsequent annual renewal. The Principal reports to and is evaluated by the Director.
The ideal candidate will have been an effective school leader and demonstrated the capacity for maintaining strong relationships with colleagues, students and the community. A commitment to professional development and continuous improvement will be well regarded as VIS is a community of learners. Service and an ethos of outreach to the community is important in Lao PDR where there are many significant opportunities to assist the development of the country. Flexibility and innovation should be a feature of your approach to work. Language acquisition and development is a cornerstone of the school’s programmes. VIS is committed to supporting the Mother Tongue of our students where possible as part of our support for learning and global citizenship. VIS embraces technology as a means to being global citizens and being part of the global classroom and taking our use of such tools as Managebac to the next level will be a focus. An appreciation of the importance of good information in decision making, and the value of collaboration in gaining the best from a team will be a characteristic of the ideal secondary principal.
Suitably qualified candidates should email their application no later than 5 pm local time, Friday 1st November 2013 to the Director, Greg Smith email@example.com (Applications will be reviewed as they are received).
The application should meet the following requirements:
- A cover letter explaining why you would be the ideal candidate for the position and school context not exceeding 2 pages.
- A current resume/CV with a recent photograph; and
- Contact details for three current referees including your supervisors in your current school.
- All documents submitted as a single pdf file
Short-listed applicants and their referees will be contacted any time from submission of application through to November 16th 2013. Interviews can be expected for short listed applicants in mid to late November.