< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 29, 20
Nov 20, 20
Secondary School Principal
For the 2021-2022 school year
Closing Date for Applications: November 20, 2020
Starting Date: July 19, 2021
CIS will provide extraordinary learning opportunities for the globally connected student. A nurturing environment, an international curriculum, and a culturally diverse community will facilitate exceptional achievements. Together we will take action to make the world a better place.
Engage Enlighten Empower
Collaboration Curiosity Creativity
Generosity Respect Excellence
Who Are We Looking For?
You are a visionary, collaborative educational leader with exceptional leadership and people skills, who has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to the teaching and learning principles articulated in both the International Baccalaureate programme and CIS vision, mission and values throughout your career.
You bring a relentless focus to improving teaching and learning and are an expert in using data to analyze student achievement and develop appropriate programs, strategies and interventions.
About Our School
The Canadian International School of Singapore (CIS) was founded in 1989. It is a continuum IB school serving a student population of approximately 3,100 students of over 70 nationalities Nursery (age 2) to Grade 12.
Our secondary Lakeside campus in the Jurong West area of Singapore opened in 2007 and sits on 43,000 sq. m. of land. It boasts impressive facilities including large classrooms connected to learning pods, a 50 m outdoor pool, a 500-seat auditorium and a library. We combine state-of-the-art technology with other learning spaces to support our inquiry-based approach and encourage a strong sense of community.
The secondary school serves a student population of approximately 1,000 grades 7 to 12 and encompasses both the Middle Years and Diploma programmes.
About the Position
The Secondary Principal is the educational leader of this division and directs the continuous development and refinement of teaching and learning.
The principal oversees all aspects of the instructional programme, promotes the implementation of best practices in teaching and learning and ensures compliance with IB authorization, WASC accreditation and CPE (Council for Private Education) requirements. This position reports directly to the Deputy Head of School.
- Sitting on the Senior Administrative Council and participating positively in a consultative capacity for all school governance
- Assisting the Head of School in the development and implementation of the school’s educational policies within the framework of governance established by the Head of School and Directors
- Developing, implementing, and reviewing a strategic plan for the community based on the school’s overall policies and direction
- Liaising with the MYP and DP Coordinators regarding IB matters to ensure that all deadlines and requirements are met
- Advising the Head of School in the security and safety procedures as dictated by the School’s policy
- Establishing and maintaining effective communication between all stakeholders
- Facilitating positive and productive relationships between parents, teachers, students, and the public
- Ensuring delivery of a robust, academically challenging and engaging curriculum.
- Organizing professional development, workshops, seminars and meetings focused on improving student learning
- Using student achievement data to drive instructional decision making
- Leading by advocating instructional practices anchored in research-based evidence of effectiveness.
- Promoting exceptional academic, behavioural, and emotional growth
- Contributing to the work of the Student Support and Wellbeing team
- Communicating student achievements to parents and the community
- Ensuring that the moral tone of the school community is upheld
- Attending all parent meetings and reporting on issues, events, and celebrations
- Communicating to the wide community on school issues
- Liaising or mediating between teachers and parents as required
- Advising the Head of School (HOS) on staff requirements
- Leading the divisional hiring process
- Facilitating the orientation of new staff to the policies of the school
- Managing on-going teacher appraisals
- Collaborating on a vision for the professional development based on the needs of the school and individual teachers
- Reporting teacher issues to the Head of School
- Maintaining a strong professional relationship with the community and related educational providers (IB)
- Maintaining a strong working relationship with the school’s neighbours
Compliance with External Agencies
- Working with the Deputy Head of School to ensure compliance with all Council for Private Education (CPE) requirements and procedures
- Working with school administrators and programme coordinators to ensure compliance with all IB programme authorization and evaluation requirements
- Supporting the self-study process (when applicable)
- Ensuring the development and submission of final copies of all reports required for this compliance
- Overseeing the implementation of the Action Plans that are developed as a result of the Self-Study process
- Ensuring compliance with authorization and accreditation authorities
- Completing aspects of annual internal reviews as requested
- Contributing to the development and implementation of the school Strategic Plan
- Aligning the divisional work plan with the school’s strategic plan
- Serving as a member of the Senior Administration Team, Academic Board and Examination Board
- Teaching Certification
- Master’s degree in educational leadership in a related field
- Significant experience in senior leadership positions in an educational setting
- Minimum of 10 years of successful classroom teaching experience
- Exceptional leadership, communication, collaboration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- A communicator, having the capacity to listen, empathize, and connect, as well as teach, present, and motivate
- A self-directed leader with a depth of knowledge in IB curriculum, instruction, and learning who motivates intellectual growth
- A visionary leader focused on delivering on both our vision and mission
- A facilitator building strong and productive relationships with students, parents, teachers, and the community
- A change master - flexible, futuristic, and realistic; one who can motivate and manage change
- A culture builder - communicating and modelling a strong and viable vision
- An activator with energy, and enthusiasm to spare
- A producer who is results-oriented with a strong sense of accountability
- A character builder whose words and actions are marked by trustworthiness, respect, and integrity
- A collaborator whose priority is making contributions to the success of others
How to Apply
Interested candidates are requested to send the information listed below as a single pdf file attachment to:
Mr. Pete Corcoran and Dr. Heather Beck
Head of School Deputy Head of School
The application package must include:
- A one-page letter of application explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in applying for this position.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages.
- A one-page statement outlining your educational philosophy and leadership style
- A one-page list of references with the business, home phone numbers and email addresses of three school administrators with whom you have worked
Additional information about our school can be found on the school’s web site at www.cis.edu.sg
Closing date for applications – November 20, 2020
Should the right candidate emerge, CIS may appoint at any stage in the process. For this reason, it is important that interested applicants submit their application at the earliest possible opportunity.