< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 7, 19
Nov 22, 19
International School of Belgrade
Seeks: Secondary School Principal
Effective: July 2020
The International School of Belgrade seeks to appoint an energetic, passionate and experienced Secondary School Principal. The successful person will be forward thinking, committed to being truly learning focused, passionate about the IB and dedicated to inquiry-based, concept-driven constructivist education.
The International School of Belgrade (ISB) is an independent, non-profit, co-educational day school serving the needs of the Belgrade expatriate community. The school was founded in 1948; today, ISB’s two campuses, within only a few minutes walking distance of each other, are located in Belgrade’s beautiful suburb of Senjak. Enrollment is now 360 representing 45 nationalities. Of these, around 180 are in the Secondary School (Grades 6-12). Growth is planned over the coming years as we plan towards our new purpose-built campus.
ISB is an IB World School authorized to offer the PYP, MYP and DP. Our international faculty is highly experienced and qualified and we put a great emphasis on their continual learning and development. Extra-curricular activities are offered at all levels, and as a fully involved member of CEESA, a wide range of athletics and activities are offered throughout the region for middle and high school students.
This is an exciting time to be part of our team. We are adopting a truly ‘learning focused’ approach to everything we do. As a CIS/NEASC accredited school, this includes the ACE Learning Principles as we prepare for our full accreditation visit in spring 2021. This would be an ideal position for a leader who truly believes in an inquiry-driven, concept-based, personalized approach to learning and who has the passion and skills to bring their team and community along that path with them.
The School is governed by a very supportive Board of Trustees which consists of no less than seven members and no more than ten. Three members are appointed by the US Ambassador.
School facilities include a purpose-built facility on the Secondary School campus that houses science labs, classrooms and a gymnasium. Classrooms are well equipped and the school is generously resourced. Beautiful, shady trees and gardens provide an attractive setting for the school’s renovated villas and modern buildings.
Detailed information about the school and its policies can be found on our web site: www.isb.rs
ISB MISSION STATEMENT
ISB is a collaborative learning community that inspires, equips and empowers its students to succeed and contribute positively to society.
ISB CORE VALUES
The Mission and everyday interactions at ISB are firmly grounded in, and supported by, the ISB Core Values of: Respect, Responsibility, Empathy, and Integrity.
The Board of Trustees appoints the Director, who is responsible for the leadership of the school. The Director oversees the Senior Leadership Team consisting of the Primary School Principal, the Secondary School Principal, the Finance & Business Director and the IT Director.
ISB has a culture of strategic planning and an annual review and revision of strategies, goals and actions. The school is jointly accredited by CIS and NEASC, with the next full visit due in spring 2021. School-wide external exams - MAP and IB are consistently strong and above norms. In addition to academic excellence, there is a high focus on the development of the whole child through our After School Activities program and through a commitment to service learning. The new Secondary Principal will need to be able to build on this foundation and move the school to the next level of being a truly learning focussed community. In addition, the Board has set us the ambitious goal of becoming recognized as one the leading schools in the region. This would be an ideal position for a leader who truly believes in an inquiry-driven, concept-based, personalized approach to learning and who has the passion and skills to bring their team and community along that path with them.
The Secondary School Principal is responsible to the Director for the day-to-day operation of the Secondary School. The duties and responsibilities of the Secondary School Principal include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide principled, effective educational leadership of the Secondary School through our Mission and Core Values.
- Create an effective, productive, and caring atmosphere where all students and staff have the opportunity to learn and grow.
- Develop and support a learning focused culture for students, staff and the community.
- Develop a personalized approach to learning for students and staff.
- Foster an environment where students and staff take ownership of their own learning.
- Lead the continual development of the curriculum to ensure all learners have the right challenge and support to prepare them for a volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous world, in line with the MYP and DP.
- Foster a collaborative environment that supports contributive leadership from all stakeholders.
- Support and model the professional learning and growth of staff.
- Purposefully foster a positive community culture that supports students’ learning
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, parents, colleagues, and the broader community.
- Ensure that all of the school's resources are utilized effectively to have the biggest impact on learning.
- Assume responsibility for sound financial and business management in the Secondary School.
- Lead your own learning and professional growth as a committed life-long learner.
- Be a passionate supporter of the co-curricular learning of students through ASAs (After-School-Activities), CEESA athletic and activity programs as well as parent events and Service Learning.
- Serve as a contributing member to the school's leadership team.
- Assist in recruiting and, developing and maintaining the highest quality staff.
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as delegated by the School Director.
The ideal candidate will be expected to meet most, if not all, of the following criteria:
- Learning focused philosophy based around personalized learning.
- An advanced degree in the field of education and/or certification as an administrator/school Principal, or its equivalence.
- Sound knowledge of, and experience in the IB DP and MYP, as well as a thorough understanding of modern educational practices
- Proven leadership and administrative experience as a Secondary School Principal or similar position in an accredited school
- A clear understanding of the financial aspects of running an educational establishment
- Fluency in the English language
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work within a team; positive attitude; growth mindset; and a sense of humor
- Familiarity with academic accreditation procedures
- Strong background in technology for learning
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The package for the Secondary School Principal is competitive and commensurate with the responsibilities of this position, as well as the required experience and qualifications. Benefits include:
- Furnished housing
- Paid utilities
- Round-trip air fare for administrator and dependents
- Shipping allowance
- Free tuition at ISB for school-age dependents
- Health plan
- Life and disability insurance coverage
- Annual administrators’ conference attendance and professional development
- Pension plan, bereavement leave, personal and sick leave
- Two-year contract, renewable
The International School of Belgrade will manage the search process. Candidates are requested to submit the following documents in a single pdf file:
- Cover letter that specifies why the candidate is the ideal person for this position, including your educational and leadership philosophy
- Resumé/CV with recent photograph
- List of at least three supervisory references with contact details
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive. The deadline for applications is Friday, November 22, 2019. The School reserves the right to conclude the search prior to this date if the right candidate is found. Applications should be addressed to Andrew Derry and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Short-listed applicants will be contacted any time from submission of application. Referees will be contacted after approval from the candidate. Finalists will be invited to Belgrade in early December with a final decision expected shortly after.
We are committed to the safety and well-being of our children. Any offer of employment will be conditional on successful global background checks that will include criminal checks as well as safeguarding checks with previous employers.
Additional information about the International School of Belgrade can be found on the school’s website at www.isb.rs.