< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position filled
Nov 29, 13
Jan 15, 14
Upper School Assistant Principal Vacancy:
Frankfurt International School, one of Europe’s largest and oldest international schools, seeks an experienced educator for a 900 student Upper School division (Grades 6 - 12). The school comprises four divisions and has a total enrollment on two campuses of 1770 students. Initial contract is for two years, but a longer commitment is envisioned. Interested candidates should contact the assistant head of school no later than 15 January 2014.
The assistant principal leads by assisting the principal in carrying out her duties as the instructional leader of the division. The assistant principal assumes the principal’s responsibility in her absence and takes a leadership role in the areas of supervision of instruction, middle level and IBDP curriculum, student activities, communicating with school-wide support services, student conduct, emergency planning and safety.
Executives of major international companies in the region established Frankfurt International School in 1961. Over our 50-year history, FIS has grown to become one of the most prominent international schools in Europe. The Waldlust campus, located in picturesque Oberursel at the base of the Taunus Mountains, comprises the Upper School of 900 students, the Elementary School of 450 students, and the Administrative Offices. A purpose built Primary School of 220 students is located a short walk away through the woods. FIS also has a division in Wiesbaden (FISW), approximately 30 km from the main campus, comprising an early childhood to Grade 6 school (with plans to expand to Grade 8) and approximately 150 students.
Our mission is to be the leading culturally diverse and family-oriented international school with English as the principal language of instruction.
We inspire individuals to develop their intellect, creativity and character to become independent, adaptable, socially responsible and internationally minded citizens, by ensuring a dynamic, inquiry-driven education of the highest standard.
We believe that…
Honesty, integrity and respect are essential for building trusting relationships
Each person is unique and has equal worth
All people are responsible for their actions
Open-mindedness, empathy and compassion are essential for living in a diverse community
Developing head, heart and hand is necessary to realize one’s potential
Leading a healthy and active lifestyle improves quality of life
Expectations that are challenging lead to higher levels of performance and improve results
Commitment, enthusiasm and perseverance lead to success
Education is a shared responsibility of students, family and school
Contributing positively to society and the environment is our shared responsibility
Our lives and the life of community are enriched by diversity
Nurturing curiosity and creativity stimulates exploration and discovery throughout life
To prepare our students for a successful IB experience and beyond, we have designed a Grade 6 to 10 curriculum that specifically provides the knowledge and skill building opportunities that students need to achieve their potential at IB level. All Grade 11 and 12 Upper School students are encouraged to participate in the full IB Diploma Programme or to study for individual IB certificates. A six period day, which rotates over an eight day cycle, offers a world of learning opportunities that include mathematics, English, humanities, science and design technology, and a wide range of electives all taught in state of the art facilities. A range of languages are taught both at native speaker level and to new learners of the language including German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Swedish and Dutch. Drama, dance, music and visual arts are important components of the curriculum.
The school year runs from early August to mid June and is divided into semesters.
Personal Attributes and Qualifications
Committed to the concept of a single, unified, Grade 6 - 12 Upper School
Passionate about the unique needs of learners in Grades 6 – 8
Exceptional interpersonal, leadership and communication skills
Strong organizational ability and initiative
Knowledge of and experience with IB Diploma program and curriculum development
Experience as an effective secondary school leader with a successful teaching background preferred
Experience with exceptional independent and/or international school programs
Experience in a 1:1 laptop school or school with effective technology integration
Relevant administrative credentials
M.A./M.Ed./M.Sc. degree or equivalent preferred
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- The assistant principal is a member of the upper school leadership team that implements, supervises, and evaluates curriculum with particular focus on Grades 6 to 8
- Supports the school’s strategic plan, and complies with board policy and relevant upper school regulations and protocols.
- Supervises and evaluates the effective integration of technology into the classroom to enhance, enrich, and support student learning
- Contributes to teaching within a discipline or area such as TOK
- Provides leadership to the Grade 6 - 8 team, comprised primarily of counselors and year heads, within the overall Grade 6 - 12 structure of the school
- Ensures a safe and positive atmosphere
- Supports the extracurricular life of the school, encouraging students to get involved in activities outside the classroom
- Develops and supports Grade 6 - 8 service learning opportunities
- Supports and supervises student sponsored events and leadership committees
- Applies disciplinary guidelines fairly and consistently
- As a member of the leadership team, evaluates faculty and staff in accordance with prescribed procedures
- Effectively contributes to recruiting
- Uses data to improve instructional practice and maximize student learning
- Contributes to public relations within the school community, including meeting regularly with parents, and providing written articles for the school’s publications
- Ensures parents are well informed about school issues and events
- Ability to speak, read and write in German is a plus
- Candidate must be willing to interact positively with the local community
- Promotes and seeks opportunities for faculty and staff professional growth
- Models continuous learning and a growth mind-set
- Works with the principal and the facilities manager to ensure maintenance and upgrading of the school building
- Participates in envisioning and researching the design of a school of the future, so that teachers are well resourced, and students are equipped with the tools of a 21st-century school
- Updates and maintains the upper school's calendar of events
- Works in partnership with the upper school leadership team and administrative council to achieve school objectives.
- Serves and leads committees as requested by the upper school principal
- Promotes and models the use of technology to access, analyze, and interpret school data to focus efforts for improving student learning and productivity
- Is responsible for administering the teacher substitute protocol, including the training of substitute teachers
- Contributes to the development of the schedule for upper school students and teachers
The salary and benefits package is highly competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Frankfurt International School will manage the search process. Candidates are requested to submit a cover letter that includes a specific expression of interest indicating strengths the candidate feels qualify him/her for consideration for the position, a resume, educational philosophy, and references.
The deadline for applications is 15 January 2014. Application letter of interest should be addressed to Teresa M. Dupre and forwarded to Teresa_dupre@fis.edu or mailed to:
Teresa M. Dupre
Assistant Head of School
Frankfurt International School
An der Waldlust 15
Additional information about Frankfurt International School can be found on the school’s website at: www.fis.edu
The School reserves the right to conclude the search prior to the date indicated above if the right candidate is found.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.