< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position filled
May 27, 14
Jun 4, 14
American International School of Budapest
The American International School of Budapest (AISB), based in Nagykovacsi, is one of the leading international schools in Hungary and the region. AISB is a private and independent co-educational day school governed by a Board of Directors elected and appointed from the parent community. The school was established in 1973 by the United States Embassy originally to serve United States Government employees’ dependents. AISB currently serves the needs of a rapidly expanding international population, including families of the local and expatriate business and diplomatic communities, as well as host-country nationals. AISB offers an international curriculum, based upon the best practices of American pedagogy from Pre-K3 through grade 12 and offers the full International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program at the High School level. The school is presently serving 820 students with a yearly turnover of US$17 Million
Currently AISB is looking for a
responsible for business, financial and plant operations of the school
Job Goal & Purpose:
The Business Manager is responsible for the management of the business, financial, and physical plant operations of the School. A thorough understanding of financial reporting and the ability to implement and establish effective financial monitoring practices and procedures as an effective support to the school’s academic and activities program is essential. A qualified candidate will demonstrate proficiency in people management, accounting, finance, and long-term strategic physical plant development. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team this position works closely with the School Board and Principals (division heads) and reports to the School Director (Headmaster).
Areas of Responsibility:
- Financial planning and budgeting
- Budget tracking and reporting
- Accounting procedures
- Cash Management
- Tax and Legal Compliance
- General ledger activities
Supervises the Facilities/Building Engineer
- School Facilities planning and maintenance
- Health and safety compliance
- Asset management
- Institutional inspections, licensing, and permits
- School Maintenance, supervision, and management
Supervises the Chief of Security
- Security inspections, evacuation procedures
- Security planning and consultation with US Embassy RSO
Supervises the Theater Manager
- Theater Facilities planning and maintenance
- Health and safety compliance
- Theater asset management, use, rental and budget planning
Business Office Operations
- Facility rentals and leases
- Food Services
- Bus Transportation Services
- Risk Management
Health and Safety
- Compliance with all health and safety guidelines and regulations
- Reports to the Director
- Member of the Senior Leadership Team
- Line Manager to Business Office Staff
- Supervises Facilities/Building Engineer, Chief of Security and Theatre Manager
- Responsible for Health & Safety
Specific Duties of Business Manager at AISB:
- Provides direct supervision of the Business/Finance Office ensuring that policies and procedures are appropriate, documented, and adhered to.
- Establishes, maintains, and supervises financial and accounting controls and reporting procedures to ensure the financial integrity of the institution.
- Works closely with the School Director in preparing the annual consolidated budget (drafting, designing line items, allocating reserves, etc.).
- Prepares the annual budget for review by the Finance Committee and approval by the School Board.
- Prepares monthly financial reports, cash flow, and other financial analyses for the School Director and for the Board of Trustees; prepares and presents a monthly review of the finances for the School Director, in readiness for the Finance Committee, and Board of Trustees as well as consolidated year-end financial statements; prepares all documents and analysis required for the Annual Audit.
- Supervises the Cashier, and ensures that the record keeping of all cash held in premises and the reimbursement to school employees for purchases made for the school and other activities is accurate.
- Supervises the Controller and the Bookkeeper and ensures that all procedures are in accordance with bookkeeping regulations.
- Supervises the Payroll Clerk.
- Supervises the preparation of invoices/reminders are done correctly and monitors payments.
- Keeps an accurate continuous record of the cash and financial position of the school and manages the financial operations of the school so that the institution remains financially stable.
- Manages the school’s cash flow, works with banks to discuss and to ensure positive cash management.
- Oversees preparation for the independent audit and meets with the auditors and the Finance Committee to review the audit; prepares the Notes to the Financial Statements and the financial statements; prepares all the documents required for the Board meetings.
- Prepares the VAT return form for the school’s foundation reviews them with the collaboration of the VAT Officer.
- Prepares reporting to the US State Department for funding (GRASP).
- Prepares reports and reimbursement requests as established by the US State Department’s grants.
- Participate in the recruitment and selection process for local non-teaching staff
- Assists the School Director with decisions regarding salaries and benefits for all personnel.
- Ensure that all staff are paid on correct scale in consultation with School Director and Board
- Prepares all legal contracts between the school and Hungarian Employees.
- Prepares all the contracts with major vendors, suppliers, consultants, and negotiates these contracts in conjunction with the School Director; works with the Buildings and Finance Committee to oversee contract preparation and implementation of major maintenance and/or construction projects.
- Approves purchase orders, payments as within the budget, and establishes procedures for purchasing, managing receivables and for the accounting and distribution of materials and supplies when they are received.
- Ensures the effective management of the food-service operation and any other auxiliary enterprises of the school.
- Oversees the School Bus service.
Health and Safety:
- Manages risk at the school to ensure the safety of personnel and students and maintains the appropriate level of insurance, in-line with the pertaining policies to protect the property and to cover the liability of the school.
Facility and Maintenance:
- Coordinates and supervises the maintenance consultant; prepares reports, collects the appropriate documentation and attends meetings.
- Attends Board meetings as required
- Collaborates with external consultants and legal counsel to follow up specific projects, as assigned by the Director or the School Board.
- Represents the school at international association (CEESA, ECIS) meetings, relative to the role of being the Business Manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director
- Minimal 5 – 7 years experience in:
- End-responsible administration and financial role in organization with minimum 50 employees
- Experience in Personnel Administration, HR, Health and Safety, for a staff of minimal 30 people
- Leadership function with minimum 3 direct reports
- Minimal 3- 5 years experience in:
- Working in a US private/independent school or large international school in an English speaking environment
Education: MBA or equivalent, ACCA accredited accountant level
Language: Fluent spoken, reading and writing English and Hungarian
Preference experience in:
- Leading tender procedures for equipment and services and facilities management
- Working abroad in a financial function at international mid or large size organization
- Accountancy or consultancy work experience at start of career
- Appraising and implementing a new accountancy package, ensuring that new work streams and the control environment are optimized in conjunction with the new software.
- Excellent Communicator
- Precise and analytical
- Team player
- Service oriented
Candidates who are interested in the position should send a letter of application, a resume and list of references to Gabriella Pitz, Administrative Assistant at email@example.com
Deadline for applications is Wednesday, June 4th.
American International School of Budapest does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any characteristic that is legally protected under applicable local, state, or federal law. This nondiscrimination policy includes but is not limited to admission, financial aid, educational programs, athletics, and employment.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.