< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 23, 19
Mar 31, 20
Job Description for Yungu Dean of Students
Inspired by its mission “to bring out the best in every child,” Yungu views students as whole people and guides them to become healthy, happy, skilled graduates who are of use to the world. Personalized pathways lead Yungu students to develop clear, differentiated identities, interests and passions and strong emotional intelligence: self-aware and ever mindful of the people and greater world around them, they should confidently manage both themselves and others. Finally, Yungu graduates must internalize and act on an ethic of service and a mindset of constantly imagining ways to help others live better in the future.
Reporting to the High School Principal and serving on the Senior Staff, the Dean of Students must lead colleagues in co-creating a unique residential program that includes co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, finds a wide range of students where they, develops in them international perspective, and guides them toward becoming the global graduates described above. Broadly, the Dean is responsible for all aspects of the residential, co-curricular and extra-curricular programs, including: creating and overseeing a residential curriculum (content, pedagogy and assessment); assigning students and faculty to dormitories; supervising and providing necessary professional development to dormitory residents, Mentors and complementary support staff; managing student records (character “grades,” Mentor reports, attendance data); developing a disciplinary system, policies and rules; creating and overseeing a wide variety of athletic, arts and extra-curricular offerings; and generally supporting the well-being of all students. In addition, the Dean must play an important role in hiring, evaluation and professional development of the residential faculty.
The successful Dean must be committed to offering learning experiences that place students in the center where, through frequent communicating, observing, questioning, reasoning, researching, interpreting, analyzing and making choices, they develop agency. In short, the residential program must create frequent opportunities for students to think critically, independently and creatively, goals best served by experiential learning. Thus, candidates who have experience generating and learning from real-life case studies will be best aligned with Yungu’s mission.
Further, the Dean must be comfortable working in a volatile, uncertain, complex, ambiguous (VUCA) environment. As a start-up, progressive school in China, Yungu High School expects much to be worked out over its first few years, resulting in occasional instability. Hence, candidates should expect unpredictability that comes with shaping and creating something of potentially great impact on the world.
Finally, the most effective candidates will demonstrate: initiative in working both independently and collaboratively; passion and determination balanced by flexibility and openness to others’ ideas; trust and integrity; responsibility, gratitude and appreciation for the opportunity to shape the lives of students and colleagues; and interest in and respect for both Chinese and western cultures. Candidates who are positive, imaginative, proactive risk-takers with a record of resilience following failure are particularly well-suited for this position.
- Lead a continuous process of residential curriculum co-creation in which colleagues imagine ever better ways to connect with and inspire students to become lifelong learners who are of use to the world. Yungu curriculum should be based in real-life experience and connect students to the real world
- Help lead a continuous process of Resident, Complement and Mentor evaluation and professional development
- Assist with hiring by articulating staffing needs and help identify, interview and evaluate quality candidates
- Oversee the co-curricular program to ensure a wide variety of athletic and arts offerings that find students where they are and provide opportunities for them to pursue deeply areas of intrinsic interest, passion and talent
- Oversee the extra-curricular program to ensure a wide variety of student-led Clubs and Activities that meet and further develop student interests and skills
- Build and manage a Mentor System that ensures every student has a personal connection with at least one adult who is responsible for regular report-writing, record-keeping and communication with students, parents and relevant colleagues
- Create and oversee a work-duty program in which students regularly act locally in caring for their spaces and generally improving the campus
- Oversee a Student Wellness Center with mental and physical health professionals that serves students’ needs
- Chair the Residential Life Committee and represent the Dean of Students Office as a member of the Academic Standing Committee
- Chair the Discipline Committee to create, manage and reinforce a system of behavior expectations that serve the school’s mission
- Represent Yungu High School as a member of the Student Institute
- Act as a liaison between parents and faculty on residential life issues
- Manage residential, co-curricular and extra-curricular budget(s)
- Write and submit to the High School Principal periodic reports assessing status/trends
- Lead bi-weekly staff meetings
- Special assignments determined by the High School Principal
- Other duties as assigned
- Graduate degree(s) preferred
- Previous experience in teaching and supervising residential life
- Fluency in English and Chinese language and culture preferred
- Excellent organization, and concise, clear oral and written communication skills
- High level of patience and diplomacy
- Strong leadership and managerial skills
- Ability to multi-task effectively and work efficiently
- Ability to handle highly confidential information
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Possess the desire to live and work in a residential academic setting
The worker is mainly in an office environment, and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Dean. They should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required while in this job.
1. Log in Search Associates website, find the position at Yungu School and apply for it.
2. Email your CV and cover letter to Yungu recruitment team: email@example.com
March, 31th, 2020