< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 2, 22
Nov 18, 22
Singapore American School
DEPUTY PRINCIPAL, ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Reports to : Elementary School Principal
Position Qualifications :
- Advanced Degree in Educational Administration and/or Administrator Certification (required)
- At least 5 years of successful teaching and/or school counseling experience (required)
- Proven record of successful leadership as a principal or deputy principal (strongly preferred)
- Experience and knowledge of early learning through grade 5
- Excellent interpersonal skills, facilitation skills, and communication skills
- Experience leading large-scale, transformative school initiatives from conception to completion
- Strong instructional leadership skills with a focus on classroom practice and providing feedback to teachers
- Knowledge and understanding of research-proven pedagogical practices, including professional learning communities (PLCs), Response to Intervention, collaborative teaching and learning practices, and standards-based assessment/grading/reporting
- Ability to motivate and collaborate with other administrators, teachers, and leadership team members
- Demonstrated skill in using data to inform and improve student learning and school programs
Elementary School Deputy Principal Job Description
The elementary school deputy principal will be responsible for facilitating the successful
implementation of SAS strategic initiatives throughout the elementary grades (Preschool - Grade 5) in order to fulfill the school’s mission and vision. To this end, the elementary school deputy principal is charged with overseeing delegated elements of the SAS academic program from grades Preschool-5th, providing a clear focus on student learning and achievement. This individual will lead and directly supervise faculty and classified staff in the development and implementation of critical strategic initiatives. In coordination with the elementary school principal and other deputy principals, s/he will also provide leadership in all areas of teaching. This includes the academic and social emotional learning curriculum & instruction, educational technology, student assessment and use of data, and learning support. The elementary school deputy principal will build strong relationships with students and mentor them towards academic success and social emotional well-being. The deputy principal needs to be well versed in professional learning communities and will participate collaboratively in these meetings.
Leading the Learning
As directed by the elementary school principal:
- Articulate the vision for teaching and learning at SAS, support the vision with short and long-term plans for the elementary school, and sustain a culture conducive to continuous improvement across the elementary school division.
- Support coherent and consistent learning experiences for students by ensuring commonalities in the areas of content, skills, dispositions and expectations throughout and across grade levels
- Support coherent and consistent learning experiences for students by ensuring the use of authentic, meaningful assessment tools and that common assessments are utilized between sections of the same grade level
- Improve student learning within the elementary school by supporting the ongoing collection, analysis, and use of information about student learning (both qualitative and quantitative) to identify next steps in learning, intervention strategies, curriculum adaptations, etc.
- Lead learning-focused and collaborative elementary school teams in line with the SAS strategic plan, using structures and resources provided. Build effective teams through recruitment, orientation, coaching, mentoring, and professional learning.
- Provide leadership in the organization, delivery, and evaluation of PLCs across the elementary school. Oversee the continued development of professional learning communities to foster a common PLC culture across the system.
- Support the implementation and mentoring of the PLC coaching model. Supervise goal-setting processes for elementary school PLCs which aligns to the schools strategic plan.
- Provide direction in and maintain up-to-date knowledge of educational reform and its application in the elementary school context, and participate in on-going professional learning to enhance professional skills and improve the school’s work towards its vision. Serve as an instructional leader role model.
Managing the Learning
As directed by the elementary school principal, manage the time, energy and work of the elementary school to have optimum impact on student learning. This will include:
- Manage meetings and communications within the elementary school in order to have themaximum impact on student learning.
- Manage accurate and viable curricular information and its availability to have the optimum impact on student learning, in coordination with the Office of Learning.
- Provide leadership and effective supervision for staff members assigned to the division in order to stimulate each individual’s growth and improve instructional effectiveness (inclusive of regular classroom visitations).
- Facilitate and develop positive and effective communication and relationships with the various constituents of the community including parents, students, faculty, division leadership, and central administration, as well as the international school network at large.
- Provide for health, safety, and welfare of students and staff to ensure the development and enhancement of a safe school environment.
- Work with the elementary principal, deputies, deans, and counselors to ensure a coordinated and thorough scheduling plan for placement, specialist classes, and efficient transitions for students.
- Recognize and strengthen personal performance through self-analysis of actions, participating in professional development activities, exploring educational research, participating in professional organizations, and through formal renewal programs.
- Perform other related duties and assume other responsibilities as assigned by the elementary school principal or deputy superintendent.
Terms of Employment: The successful candidate will be offered a two-year initial administrative contract, with subsequent year-to-year contracts dependent upon demonstrated achievement towards annual goals.
The deadline for application is November 18, 2022. Candidates who wish to be considered for this role may submit their application via the following link.