< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Director for Teaching and Learning
KIS International School (Thailand)
Sep 17, 22
Oct 14, 22
KIS International School
KIS International School, centrally located in Bangkok, Thailand, is an IB World School exclusively offering the International Baccalaureate programmes. Students at KIS can pursue a continuum of IB education right from the start through the following programmes:
- The IB Primary Years Programme for ages 3- 11 years
- The IB Middle Years Programme for ages 11-16 years
- The IB Career-related Programme for ages 16-18 years
- The IB Diploma Programme for ages 16-18 years
KIS is a collaborative community of about 800 students and 56 nationalities. Throughout its 24-year history, the dedicated teachers and supportive parents have worked together toward student success and the development of a cohesive, friendly community. In addition to an academically challenging and inspirational international curriculum, KIS provides a well-rounded programme of sports, creativity and community service. We provide all our students, from the youngest children stepping into a classroom for the first time, to our graduates heading off to the best and wide-range of universities, with the tools to become life-long learners and successful and responsible global citizens.
In October 2019, KIS embarked on a new strategic planning process that involved the KIS community and resulted in our 2020-2026 Strategic Plan. We are proud of the path ahead for our school. It is ambitious and exciting while continuing to embrace the warm, community feel developed over time here. Please find out more about this plan: KIS International School 2020-2026 Strategic Plan
KIS is recognized as a high quality international school in Bangkok with high academic standards having received the following accreditation, authorization and partnership:
- Accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS)
- Fully authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) in all 4 programmes.
KIS International School Bangkok is also licensed by the Thai Ministry of Education and is an active member of the International Schools Association of Thailand (ISAT). We are a member of AISAA (Asian International School Athletics Association) and, along with other international schools, participate in a range of sports and cultural activities provided by the organization.
Through membership and affiliations with these organizations, and by participating in international projects with organizations such as the International Task Force for Child Protection, we work to ensure our student's education, well-being and safety are our priority.
Our Vision: Inspiring Individuals
Our Mission: To offer a challenging and dynamic international education that inspires and supports students in developing the knowledge, skills, and characteristics to take responsible action for the betterment of their local and global communities.
Our Core Values:
- Striving for understanding
- Nurture passion in self and others
- Take action ethically
- Create a caring and inclusive community
The Director for Teaching and Learning at KIS International School
Reporting to the Head of School, and working also in conjunction with the Primary and Secondary School Principals, this principal-level position is a strategic response to meet the school’s needs toward its goal of excellence in teaching and learning.
The Director for Teaching and Learning (DTL) ensures articulation, alignment and collaboration from EY to Grade 12 in the development of the teaching and learning programme at KIS. The DTL provides leadership and coordination in the development and implementation of the curriculum and resources as well as the faculty staff professional growth and staff evaluation programme. This position will help support the accreditation efforts of the school.
- Provide strong leadership and clear educational direction for KIS.
- Actively support the mission and values of the school.
- Collaborate with the Head of School regarding the status of curriculum and professional learning aspects of the Strategic Plan.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive budget for the Teaching and Learning Office.
- At all times act as ambassador for KIS and in a manner that upholds the values and ethos of the school
- Represent the school with the general public, businesses and governmental agencies.
- Serve as a visible and approachable leader in a professional and collegial environment.
- Make decisions in accordance with research best practices.
Curriculum and Programmes:
- Collaborate with the Head of School, Divisional Leadership, the IB Coordinators, and other relevant positions to ensure the articulation, alignment and coordination of the overall EY-12 program and to inspire a cohesive teaching and learning ethos at KIS.
- Promote researched-based teaching and learning pedagogy and work in conjunction with the educational leadership team towards adoption and synthesis into school programs and instructional practice.
- Lead in the development and facilitation of a regular review of curriculum review process, including student assessment protocols.
- Lead in the development of a schoolwide curriculum planning process in all curriculum areas.
- Collaborate with and support curriculum-related positions (i.e. IB Coordinators) to ensure high levels of impact and articulation.
- Provide support to team leaders, subject area leaders, and department representatives to ensure schoolwide alignment and EY-12 coordination and alignment of the curriculum.
- Oversee new faculty orientation in the areas of teaching and learning.
- Oversee the administration of examinations and assessment tests across the school (IB exams, SAT, PSAT, MAP tests) in coordination with divisional administration and towards a whole-school approach.
- Provide leadership and collaborate with Principals and Vice Principals in the analysis and use of assessment data to inform instruction and continuous improvement efforts.
- Lead the review and development of a whole school approach to serving the needs of EAL learners. Work with Divisional leadership to monitor program effectiveness.
- Lead the review and development of a whole school approach to serving the needs of a KIS Learning Support program. Work with Divisional leadership to monitor program effectiveness.
- Supervise and support the learning support staff throughout the school.
- Supervise and collaborate with the ICT Director.
- Collaborate with the ICT Director to ensure technology integration is through the lens of curriculum and supports progressive pedagogy.
Staff Evaluation and Professional Growth:
- Work closely with the Head of School and Divisional Principals in the development, implementation and review of a teacher evaluation system.
- Work with Divisional Principals to evaluate faculty and staff’s need for professional training/ development and recommend relevant training.
- Lead a coordinated and systematic approach to professional development at KIS.
- Work to develop and nurture a professional and collaborative environment that equips the faculty and staff to embrace and resolve complex issues impacting student learning.
- Lead the collaboration with Divisional Principals, IB Coordinators, and other relevant positions, to identify needed professional learning opportunities for the school.
- Lead the communication of professional learning opportunities to the school community.
- Facilitate whole-school professional learning to support strategic initiatives.
- Conduct professional learning sessions, both small-scale and large-scale, that employ best practices for professional learning, exhibit a wide-range of strategies, modes, and models and that incorporate technology integration when appropriate.
- Identify and secure appropriate experts to support professional.
- Facilitate collaboration with experts before and while they are on campus.
- Lead efforts, in coordination with the Head of School and the Divisional Principals, to increase KIS hosted workshops and conference opportunities.
- Create, plan, and manage a professional development budget.
Resources and Materials:
- Secure resources (human, materials, time) to support the curriculum.
- Participate in recruiting efforts with the Head of School and Divisional Principals.
- Be responsible for exploring and promoting new and valuable educational learning opportunities for students (i.e. seminars, conferences, symposiums, programs, trips, camps)
- Work in conjunction with the Head of School and Divisional Principals to collaborate in the design of classrooms and learning spaces.
- Develop and maintain an EY-12 professional library.
- Support the accreditation process, in consultation with the Accreditation Coordinator, the Head of School and the Divisional Leadership.
- Support the preparation of interim reports, self-studies the arrangements for visiting team of accreditors, and selection of the accrediting agency.
- Assist in the facilitation with the School Leadership in a regular review of recommendations related to the accreditation report.
Communication and Marketing:
- Work in conjunction with the school leadership team (including the Director of Admissions and Marketing, Divisional Principals, and the Head of School) to identify and extract the essence and spirit of KIS’s teaching philosophy and ethos to support reputation-building of the school, in line with the Strategic Plan.
- Communicate within the KIS School Community on curricular matters, including meeting with parents and/or providing written articles for school publications and the school’s online presence.
- Oversee the communication of school successes in teaching and learning including assessment results.
- Educate the parent community as needed regarding the curriculum program at KIS.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
Salary and Benefits: Salary as determined by KIS Principal Salary Scale.
- Masters degree in Educational Administration and/or Curriculum.
- Knowledge of contemporary educational research, teaching pedagogy, and emerging technologies.
- 3+ years of experience working in a similar leadership role (level equivalent to a Principal).
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Dedication and commitment to the learning and growth of students.
- A sense of humor.
- Experience in faculty and administrator recruitment, retention, supervision, and evaluation.
- Knowledge and understanding of the IB PYP, MYP, CP and DP programmes.
- Experience in the supervision of academic program development and facilitating implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Experience in a senior role at a similarly-sized school is preferred.
- Experience in an international school setting is preferred.
Candidates are requested to email a cover letter, cv, a statement of leadership philosophy, and at least three professional reference contacts as one PDF file to Paul Johnson, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualified candidates will be called for personal/online interviews. Zoom community interviews for shortlisted finalists will be conducted.
Application Deadline: October 14, 2022
Start Date: late July 2023