< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 31, 21
Dec 31, 21
DIRECTOR OF CURRICULUM & ASSESSMENT - JULY 2022
International School of Beijing is an extraordinary, non-profit school, with a history of excellence spanning more than 40 years. Our Mission, Vision, and Core Values are fulfilled by passionate, highly qualified educators who all want the best for every student, Early Years through grade 12.
Of utmost importance is the school's strong sense of community and vibrant, culturally diverse campus, where learning is engaging for our roughly 1,700 students representing around 50 countries. Research-based programs, high-quality teaching, and outstanding and ever-improving facilities mean students at ISB are being prepared for success in a world that keeps changing at a breathtaking pace.
ISB enjoys a proven track record of excellent learning outcomes, with students attending colleges around the world which are most appropriate for them. Our commitment to realizing students' potential is built around nurturing the intellectual, physical, social, and emotional development of each child. ISB programs equip students to be productive, healthy, and fulfilled young adults, whatever future they choose.
We care about students' growth as learners and as individuals who contribute to their community. We believe that young people are naturally curious, and we recognize each student as a unique individual with the potential to achieve. Our students are empowered to solve problems, question the world around them, and develop and test hypotheses in a collaborative, supportive environment.
ISB’s whole child approach gives the same priority to our young learners’ health and character as it does to their academic performance. Our students’ well-being is a cornerstone to their success and happiness. As they learn to work together, they grow to understand different perspectives and strengthen their social skills. We nurture children who develop independence and the ability to make positive, healthy choices. Importantly, we partner with parents to ensure that school is fun, motivating, and a place where every child can turn to a trusted adult for help and support.
ABOUT OUR FACILTIES
ISB is conveniently located among one of Beijing's most popular expat neighborhoods in the city's northeast Shunyi District. Parks, international medical clinics, and supermarkets stocked with imported groceries are all just a short stroll away. While the local area has developed considerably since ISB established its campus in Shunyi more than a decade ago, it still retains its quaint charm that makes it a great place to live for singles, couples, and families.
ISB has state of the art, sustainable, award winning facilities. Our 32-acre campus, close to popular expat residential compounds, plays host to superior facilities:
- 2 purpose-built sports domes providing over 8,500 m2 of space
- A pharmaceutical-grade (H-14) air filtration system ensures exceptionally high air quality in all our indoor areas, averaging an AQI level of 1 throughout the school
- 665-seat sports stadium, including running track and rugby pitch
- 12 state-of-the-art science labs
- 4 fully equipped gyms (one with a climbing wall)
- Flexible learning spaces, including design labs and 'collaboratories.'
- 2 library-media centers with more than 82,000 volumes and over 160 magazine subscriptions
- Our performing arts wing consists of a 600-seat theater, an elementary school theater, Black Box theater, rehearsal spaces, recording studio, dance studios, and studio stage
WORKING AT ISB
ISB is a progressive, dynamic workplace where students come first and where teachers and support staff are highly valued for the gifts and talents they bring to these young learners. The school offers many opportunities for professional growth, both on campus and with access to workshops and conferences across the globe.
Faculty and support staff (totaling more than 360) represent numerous nationalities, including many from Australia, Canada, China, France, India, the Philippines, the U.K., and the U.S.
At ISB, you will be part of a great team of professionals providing a learning culture which enhances the students’ academic abilities through serving their social-emotional needs and physical health. We have an unwavering commitment to safeguarding children, providing a safe place to learn and play, surrounded by a team of adults who want only the best for each child. Working at ISB is rewarding (in both a professional and financial sense) and because we are all working towards a common goal – to make ISB the best international school in the world.
Beijing is undergoing an economic, cultural, and artistic renaissance. Only by living in arguably the world’s most important city and serving in this remarkable school will you fully understand and appreciate the gifts that Beijing and China can give.
The principles of trust, empathy, and professionalism allow everyone to thrive in their own way at ISB.
JOIN OUR TEAM
JOB GOAL / PURPOSE: To provide leadership and coordination in the development and implementation of curriculum and assessment school-wide; to work with staff and leadership for curriculum development, articulation, and implementation. This position provides vision and leadership around development, quality, and implementation of both internal and external assessments. Major focus of work is on curriculum development and data-driven decision making with high-levels of autonomy and the ability to collaborate regarding the direction and priorities of school-wide curriculum and program development.
- Supervision of the ES and MS/HS Curriculum Coordinators.
- Lead the Curriculum and Assessment team at each school level in collaboration with building-level leadership.
- Curriculum Review Cycle for EY-12 vertical teams working with subject Curriculum Area Leaders (CALs).Data-driven decision making to support program improvement with:
1. Vertically aligned Common Assessments in all subject areas
2. Grade and course-level Common Formative assessments
3. External assessments for program improvement
- The development of systems for data-driven decision to facilitate the visualization of internal and external data points to support program improvement.
- The establishment of comprehensive processes for documentation related to curriculum development and assessment expectations.
- Program development for new courses or sequences of classes based on standards and benchmarks.
- Systems of accountability for vertical alignment.
- The creation of Vertical Action Plans for each subject area and monitors the implementation of school-based action plans by Curriculum Area Leaders.
- Maintenance and enhancement of a professional reading library in line with schoolwide priorities.
- Assessment Coordinator to gather, input, and design data visualizations to support data-driven decision-making processes at the grade/subject level.
- Director of Learning on the implementation of schoolwide initiatives related to teaching and learning.
- Building-level leaders to identify needed growth and professional learning related to curriculum development and assessment practices.
- Any other school identified areas of growth or development (e.g., Standards Based Grading and Reporting, Personalized Learning, etc.).
- Director of Chinese Language and Culture to ensure similar implementation of program development in the Chinese program (unit development, assessment practices, etc.).
- Director of Learning and Curriculum Coordinators on schoolwide initiatives and professional learning for faculty and staff.
- Director of Professional Learning and Instruction to identify needed professional learning related to curriculum and assessment.
- Director of Professional Learning and Instruction to ensure a common vision and coordinated approach to support teaching and learning.
- Building level leaders on all aspects related to the curriculum program (unit development, professional learning, implementation of action plans, etc.).
- Educational Technology Coordinator to ensure technology systems and structures reflect the values and philosophy of teaching and learning at ISB.
- STEAM and Design Facilitators, Coaches, and Librarians to ensure innovative and integrated practices through the curricular lens.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Master’s Degree in Curriculum or Educational Leadership
- Experience in a school-wide curriculum leadership position
- Experience and current knowledge of staff development programs and implementation
- Successful classroom teaching experience
- Strong ICT skills, with current knowledge of innovative practices and systems to support standards-based grading and reporting, data analysis and visualization, curriculum mapping, etc.
- Superior facilitation and organizational ability, with demonstrated ability to lead groups, facilitate meetings, lead curriculum work, collaborate and implement change
- The capacity to organize and deliver effective presentations to diverse audiences
- Strong knowledge of research-based pedagogy and assessment and awareness of adult learning theory
Candidates should submit the following to ISB Human Resources Director, Jenny Whitaker, at firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Brief letter of application stating reason for interest in the position.
- A current CV/ resume not to exceed two pages.
- One page statement of philosophy of education and educational leadership.
- List of four referees, including one from a current supervisor.
December 31, 2021 is the deadline for applications. Candidates should note that in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISB reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is very important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.
Candidates wishing to learn more about ISB may visit https://www.isb.bj.edu.cn/ .