< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Dec 24, 19
Feb 7, 20
THE AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF GUANGZHOU (AISG)
Title: Director of Facilities
Scale: Overseas hired salary and benefit package
Contract Days: 200 working days per school year
Responsible for the economic, efficient and effective management of the school’s facilities and operations. Which includes managing and coordinating new construction/renovation projects, maintenance, grounds, health, safety & security, staff housing and transportation.
SUPERVISED, EVALUATED BY & REPORTS TO:
Budgeting and Reporting
- Developing an annual operations and capital budget for the Facilities & Operations Department.
- Prepare estimates for review and maintenance of the facilities, including oversight for facilities budget.
- Prepare variance reports on operational and capital costs items.
- Developing a long-term Facilities Maintenance Plan.
- Coordination required inspections and related engineering programs with local agencies.
- Overseeing construction projects to ensure plans, specifications, codes and regulations are being followed.
- Monitors construction projects to ensure use of proper quality building materials.
- Maintains inventory of all “as-built” drawings for school facilities.
- Review construction invoices and obtain proper signoffs, prepare purchase orders, and make recommendation for payments to the Director of Finance and Operations.
- Monitors project progress and budget compliance of all projects and reporting to the Director of Finance and Facilities and the School Director.
- Managing effective communication with leadership and faculty.
- Liaise with external contacts (i.e. architect, quantity surveyors, project manager, general contractor etc.)
- Cultivate effective planned, preventative maintenance and “zero-defect protocols”.
- Developing and maintaining an effective facility planning and maintenance systems.
- Develop a system for regularly monitoring the condition of the building, electrical, air conditioning, plumbing and other essential facilities and equipment.
- Maintain accurate records of the condition of the facilities and other systems.
Health, safety and security
- Ensuring that there are regular fire and lockdown tests.
- Ensuring health and safety protocols have been established and are being followed.
- Regular reviews of the internal security procedures to ensure they remain up to date.
- Liaising with external Security Advisors of the US Consulate and the Australian Consulate.
Staffing and Organizational
- Supervising the Facilities Manager (1) and School Support Managers (2)
- Ensuring an effective organization structure for the Facilities and Operations Department.
- Review staff performance.
- Screening and selecting new employees, with the assistance from HR.
- Developing an effective training program to ensure competent work output.
- Determining the scope of services to be delivered by external contractors. Setting quality standards and performance targets.
- Inviting competitive tenders in accordance with the School’s procedures.
- Managing contracted cleaning, gardening, transportation, catering and security services and monitoring contract compliance.
- Ensure the availability of suitable accommodation for faculty and administrators.
- Inspection of properties to assess suitability to AISG Housing strategy.
- Managing relationships with external housing agents and housing owners.
- Managing the hand-over to in-coming and from out-going staff. Ensure vacated properties are ready for new faculty and administrators.
- Ensure safety and security of rented housing are compliant with Safety and Security standards.
- Work in close relationship with the local authorities.
- Attending meetings of the Finance and Operational Team.
- Regular meeting division leaders and department heads to review and evaluate the current situation and identify future needs.
- Participate in the development of policies and procedures.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration.
- Relevant professional degree. Civil or mechanical engineering degree preferred;
- Proven experience in Western and host country facilities management of institutions such as schools. Such as in particular facilities management, building maintenance, custodial services, security and transportation;
- Experience in private office/building maintenance will be considered;
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Organizational ability, communication skills, drive and initiative;
- Fluency in English (both oral and written), Chinese (Mandarin) preferred;
- Previous experience in project management, construction management, plant management, maintenance and engineering. Experience with new construction and building renovation preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and evaluate staff;
- Co-operative and proven leadership to, in particular, maintenance, custodial, transport, grounds and security personnel;
- Demonstrated use of computer technology in managing facilities.
Candidates will be asked to provide:
- List with 3 references
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae
- List with personally managed projects with regards to facilities/buildings. (max 3) and share what was the scope of the project and who to contact regarding the outcome;
- Philosophy of leadership (max 250 words)
- Our vibrant, positive community spirit, what we see as the heart of AISG, is one of our greatest assets
- We are the only not for profit international school in Guangzhou enabling us to reinvest directly back into the school in support of our educational mission
- We are the first international school in southern China with a rich history of educational excellence
- We only recruit forward-thinking and dynamic instructional leaders who wish to contribute to an environment that values creative learning and quality teaching
- We recruit faculty who are not simply looking for a ‘job’ but who are seeking to join a connected community
This position description is designed to outlined primary duties, qualifications and job scope but not limit the employee nor AISG to only the work identified. It is the expectation of the school, that each employee will offer their services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our organization.
Interested and qualified applicants are welcome and encouraged to apply this position by clicking HERE and visiting the Current Opportunities Page on the AISG website. Please direct any questions to Ms. Shirley Chan (email@example.com) - Director of Human Resources.
NOTE: Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as AISG reserves the right to conclude the search prior to the announced deadline.